Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,997,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
How To Avoid Boil Over When Cooking Pasta

Personally, I don't like oil in my pasta. I just add the pasta to boiling water and then turn the heat down.
Me, too.
I have heard it said that the oil coats the pasta which prevents the sauce from clinging to it later.
My real reason is that there is just a lot of fat in my diet and I want to eliminate it where I can.

I have heard Rachel Ray say she put a bit of olive oil in the pot because that's going to be in the sauce, anyway.

The thing is, if you google it, olive oil seems more time than not to not actually contain actual olive oil, or even any oil that is good for you. I read an article that said 'they' are so tricky these days, that you can not detect the difference.

My husband says if you rest a wooden spoon across the top of the pot the water will not boil over. It breaks the surface tension of the bubbles. I don't know how reliable that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyGx View Post
To answer the actual question, rather than go on about whether or not you should put oil in your pasta, which you didn't ask.

The boiling point of water is 100 oC. The boiling point of oil is much much higher. In the case of certain oils as high as 270 oC and then it isn't exactly a boiling point as in boiling over, it's called a smoking point - the point where the oil starts to break down.

So, if you add oil to water, the boiling point of the contents of that pan have now been altered (increased) and the water will no longer boil over at 100 oC.
Thank you very much for this explanation. I have an electric range and some burners are hotter than others. When I switched from using oil to just salt in the water, it did seem as though the boil was more vigorous. I like to keep it at a rolling boil for the entire process. I just use a very big pot.

I thought it was just my imagination.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,833,084 times
Why does laying a wooden spoon over the top of a boiling pot of pasta keep it from boiling over? I've never been able to figure out how that works, but it does.

Last edited by maggie2101; 02-01-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,897,835 times
How do you keep the spoon from sinking?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM

It does not sink because you lay a big wooden spoon from one end of the lip of the pot to the other.

I think it must have something to do with interfering with the surface tension of the bubbles? Maybe the bubbles get that high and the spoon does this, or the steam gets somehow redirected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink