Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times

Advertisements

Ok I was searching for a recipe for making quesadillas. But in the recipes, they always say, add cooked chicken.

The problem is, how do you cook the chicken?

I know for many of you this probably is common sense, but for me, it's not.

Can someone explain in *detail* step by step, what I need to do to cook the chicken?

Please try not to skip a step, because even one detail leaves me confused or it'll come out wrong. As I said for other people many steps in cooking is common sense, but for me it's not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 AM

47 posts, read 78,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Ok I was searching for a recipe for making quesadillas. But in the recipes, they always say, add cooked chicken.

The problem is, how do you cook the chicken?

I know for many of you this probably is common sense, but for me, it's not.

Can someone explain in *detail* step by step, what I need to do to cook the chicken?

Please try not to skip a step, because even one detail leaves me confused or it'll come out wrong. As I said for other people many steps in cooking is common sense, but for me it's not!

Put some chopped ginger, some white onions, salt, pepper, viniger, chillie powder ( FOR YOUR TASTE).Put the chicken pieces in to the same bowl and keep it closed for 2 or 3 hours. Then again keep a non stick pan on the fire put some oil . Add some ginger, white onions, onions 2 , chopped tomatoes . Wait till it turn to a brownish color.Add some chillie powder . then add the chicken we kept in a closed bowl. Put some water and wait till it cooked ............ Finally add some sugar ,,,a very little ............

Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Well, you can go about it in several ways. I think the assumption that most recipe writers make is that you'll have some leftover cooked chicken that you can use, and that is certainly one of the most efficient ways. If you roast up a whole chicken, eat a nice meal from it, then remove all the remaining meat from the carcass, you'll have a lovely pile of cooked chicken to shred up for your quesadillas. For that matter, having made quesadillas a few times myself, I know for a fact that you can also make them using cooked turkey (which I've done) and there are probably quite a few folks who still have a packet or two of Thanksgiving turkey leftovers still in the freezer.

If using leftover roast chicken or turkey isn't an option for you, this is how I'd go about cooking up chicken.

Start with a good-sized Dutch oven or stock pot. You want one that's at least 8 inches deep, and big enough around to hold a whole chicken.

Buy a whole chicken at the store. Unless you are making quesadillas for a regiment, I do not recommend getting a stewing hen, both because it'll take longer to cook and because you will wind up with an incredible quantity of cooked chicken when you're done. If I were doing this, I'd get a small fryer.

If the chicken is frozen, allow it to thaw in your refrigerator at least overnight. Remove the chicken from its wrapping and if it has giblets inside, remove those, too. If the neck is still inside, remove that. Wash the chicken in cold water.

Then place the chicken in your stock pot or Dutch oven, and add enough water to cover the chicken by about an extra inch or so. Optional at this point: you can add a cut-up onion and some celery ribs if you like; it will add a lovely extra flavor to both your chicken and to the broth you're going to wind up with.

Put the pan on the stove on medium-high heat until it is boiling. Then turn it down to medium, just enough to keep it simmering along. You still want to see the bubbles coming up, but not so much that it's splashing out of the pot.

You will need to cook the chicken that way for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on its size. You should see the meat around the drumsticks cooking away from the bone, and the meat around the chest opening should be cooking away as well. Be sure to check regularly (about every 10 minutes or so) to see if there's still enough water in the pot. You may need to add more, if the water boils away to the point where some of the chicken is out of the water.

Once the chicken is done, turn the burner off, and use a couple of large serving forks to transfer the chicken to a platter or bowl. Allow it to cool enough that you can handle it, then remove the skin, pull the meat off the bones, and shred it for your quesadillas.

A word about the stuff left in the pot: if you like soups or gravies, you now have the basis for THE BEST soup or gravy you will ever have. Pour that good chicken broth out of the pot into a good-sized bowl, and put the bowl into your refrigerator. After 8 or 10 hours, you will be able to peel off a solid layer of congealed chicken fat (called schmaltz) from the top, and what's left will be perfectly heavenly low-fat broth.

Enjoy your quesadillas!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:41 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
You could also grill up a couple of chicken breasts or boneless thighs quickly. They go great in quesadillas. Also, if you don't have the time or inclination to simmer or roast a whole chicken, you can do a few pieces as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Or slowly poach boneless skinless breasts or thighs, cool and pull apart.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
Or buy precooked grilled chicken at Costco. ;-) Not rotisserie chicken (tho I suppose you could use that). It is just regular grilled chicken cut into strips in the refrigerated cases. Add whatever seasonings you want and saute in a skillet, using the spatula to break into whatever size pieces you want, until warm. Then add to your quesadillas with cheese or whatever else you are using for filling.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
you can even use the canned chicken breast in a pinch. Just make sure to rinse it off.

I always just use leftover rotisserie chicken.

you could even use leftover fried chicken from eating out. just take off the skin, shred the chicken and toss the bones.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Definitely make it the easiest as that's what quesadillas should be-an easy meal.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Whenever I need to add cooked chicken, I use leftover fried chicken. But I don't put meat of any kind in quesadillas! Just a lot of shredded cheddar, slices of raw onion and green pepper, and jalapenos if I feel like it. That's the way the Mexican restaurant I used to work in made them, and the only changes I ever make is in the size of the flour tortillas I use.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,632 times
I marinate thin chicken cutlets for a few hours, then grill them in my George Foreman grill.Then cut them up or pull apart. Very easy to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink