Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times

Advertisements

My complaint about drinks at fast food places is that they put too much ice in the cup. It's cold anyways, so they don't need to at minimum half fill the cup with ice. I've been known to drink sodas at room temperature, if I'm thirsty enough. Trust me, it tastes a lot better than Las Vegas tap water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I read somewhere that back in the 80s, the average size drink at a fast food restaurant was 12 oz. In the 90s it was 16 oz and now the average size at a fast food joint is 32oz! Crazy. No one needs that much. Makes you wonder why we're all fat....
That sounds reasonably correct. From the late 70's- mid 80's i couldn't get enough soda, i was absolutely crazy for it. Back then, the largest fountain size was around 22 oz. Then around the mid 80's, 7-11 seemed to be the catalyst in the move toward larger fountain drinks. First the big gulp(32oz.), then the super big(46oz.), and then the double gulp(64oz.). It's ironic that what i gulped down back then, is considered "normal" today. On a side note, i'm lucky if i now drink 4 liters in the course of a year. I don't really care for the stuff now.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Until this "fat" tax starts hitting stores on soda fountains people are not going to stop buying 32 oz drinks for .69.
You going to tax diet pop, too, and unsweetened iced tea?
Quote:
Also why do people pay $2 and up at a sit down restaurant for soda when water is free and better for you?
Because they like it?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Anyone noticed most fast food places increased their drink sizes?
Most places i go i ask for a small or medium they give me this HUGE drink.
Granted,i shouldnt go to fast food places often but something i have Noticed.
I think they do this so they appear to be giving you more "value", which is a scam because it only costs them probably an extra 10 cents to fill the bigger cup. Add a few extra fries and now they can charge you an extra 2 bucks!

Or, maybe they are just being nice because they know the food is loaded w/sodium and you are going to be dying of thirst moments after starting to eat.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
Soda is so cheap to produce, it's not hurting their bottom line. The sizes the give you are disgusting.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Also why do people pay $2 and up at a sit down restaurant for soda when water is free and better for you?
I'll bet it's the same reason they pay $2 and up for a bowl of ice cream when a bowl of ice cubes is free and better for you.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I'll bet it's the same reason they pay $2 and up for a bowl of ice cream when a bowl of ice cubes is free and better for you.

LOL

An occasional soda here and there isn't bad, so if that's what you get when you are out, I agree, it isn't the end of the world. Plus you can have the soda and take some water in at the same setting. Diversify!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
What annoys me is when I go to a movie and get a small drink. The counterperson always says something like "Hey for only 25 cents more you could get this mega-huge-tub-o-soda!!" and when I say no thanks I'd just throw it away, they say "But it's only 25 cents more!"

I don't care if it's the same price, if I'm not going to drink it I'm not going to buy it. I hate throwing away any kind of food (not that soda qualifies as food, but hey you get the idea...)

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What annoys me is when I go to a movie and get a small drink. The counterperson always says something like "Hey for only 25 cents more you could get this mega-huge-tub-o-soda!!" and when I say no thanks I'd just throw it away, they say "But it's only 25 cents more!"

I don't care if it's the same price, if I'm not going to drink it I'm not going to buy it. I hate throwing away any kind of food (not that soda qualifies as food, but hey you get the idea...)
I have this dilemma with my D&D coffee. If the small is 12 and the medium is 14, the difference between the 2 is like 30 cents. I may or may not want the extra coffee, but the difference between the 2 is so minimal, I just get the larger size.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You going to tax diet pop, too, and unsweetened iced tea?

Because they like it?
I don't agree with targeting certain groups with taxes but NY has already started their "fat" tax on soda drinks. I was just referring to that tax and yes that tax is on any soda whether it be diet or not. When one state targeted smokers with a tax many states followed. How long do you think it will be for other states to create a 'fat' tax? Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink