Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
No offense, but that's not really your call to make. I asked for ideas about breakfasts, not thoughts on whether he should be eating there or not. Thanks though.
Totally in agreement-uncalled for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Leftover chinese food makes a fine breakfast. Especially if eaten with chopsticks.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I tote a couple of veggie sausages to work with me, along with a hardboiled egg or two.

And I keep quick-cooking (one minute) oatmeal in my desk for emergencies. Debsi, I'm going to look for the steel cut oats; I've been meaning to try them.

But I really prefer other-than-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Leftovers often are my breakfast. If you ask me, there's nothing better than cold pizza or pasta for breakfast! If he really has to have a hot breakfast, he could heat them up ...
Cold pizza for breakfast my favorite.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,713,480 times
That's a huge difference between him and me. I LOVE leftovers for breakfast. He loves breakfast foods. Obviously I'm right and he's wrong, but what can you do? LOL

Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Considering that his employer does not pay him to eat, I would say that eating at work is inappropriate unless he is an hourly employee and is "off the clock" or unless your husband takes his lunch break time to eat. (Which would mean, then that he would not eat at lunch).

I realize that 545 am is early, however, there are many, many, MANY people out there who go to work considerably earlier than that. The secret would be to have your husband get up an hour earlier so that you can cook him a nice, healthy breakfast before he leaves.

That would be the best solution.

20yrsinBranson

What?!?! I eat cereal at my desk every morning while I work. Does this mean I am in the wrong?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
What?!?! I eat cereal at my desk every morning while I work. Does this mean I am in the wrong?
No, I just think that poster is possibly a supervisor to low level subordinates and is perhaps used to ordering people around for no apparent useful reason. At least, that's the only reason I can imagine that someone would respond to this thread in such a crude and non-responsive way. The fact is that many of us (including myself) eat breakfast at work regularly and no one frowns over it.

I will make crustless quiche at home and reheat it in the office micro, or bring a bagel and pop it in the office toaster (gasp! they are condoning our consumption of breakfast foods with providing us this gadget, dontcha think?). Sometimes I'll bring in home cooked Irish oatmeal and reheat that in the micro. Cottage cheese with english muffins. Yogurt and granola. I do the breakfast burrito too - I keep it healthy, though, by using only scrambled eggs, low-fat cheese, and fresh salsa on a whole wheat tortilla. Delicious reheated in the micro - and not rubbery! Just don't heat it for too long and it should turn out just fine.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I second the breakfast burrito's. You don't need to undercook the eggs. You can add all kinds of things to them and reheat them easily by wrapping them in a paper towel and putting them in the microwave. Different ingredients to try:
Potatoes
Eggs
Diced Ham
Sausage
Cheese
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Bacon (in small bite sized pieces)

All ingredients already cooked and then put into the flour tortilla and wrapped in foil individually. A good friend of ours dad always made them for us. We would all buy the ingredients when they came to visit and he LOVED making them for us. Throw in some good hot sauce/salsa and YUM!!!

For a quicker breakfast on the run what about some of the granola bars? There are some really good ones out now. I love the Nature's Valley Oats n Honey and the Kellogg's Fiber One bars. He could keep a box of them in his desk and not have to worry about heating something up on the days he ran off and forgot to grab his burrito and doesn't want the fast food breakfast. Is there a fridge at work for him to keep some stuff in? If so what about some yougurt and then he can add granola and fresh fruit to it. I love the organic Strawberry yougurt w/ fresh blueberries and granola added to it.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,589 times
My hubby likes homemade breakfast burritos but he's too lazy to go through all the flipping and turning to make sure they get evenly reheated. Maybe making a batch every few days and fridging it would be easier than heating from frozen.

I like breakfast quiches. Make one on Sunday, it should last the whole week.

You can also pre-make biscuits, then heat up some meat to make breakfast sandwiches. Country ham takes two minutes max, as does Spam. (i know my husband loves it...not sure quite how healthy that is)

Problem is, healthy and tasty generally don't go hand in hand for breakfast. Especially not for hot food.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
my husband takes his breakfast to work every day. he goes to workout before starting his job! he takes a packet of oatmeal, a small box of raisins to mix in. He also takes a yogurt, 1/2 bagel (cream cheese or some peanut butter) fruit, and his lunch! he has a cheap little insulated bag that he fits everything in. this holds his breakfast, snacks and lunch. He also leaves with a cup of coffee. He is very regimented about the oatmeal. I buy the variety pack so at least that varies.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
The only thing I can think of would be a grilled ham and cheese that could be warmed...Just a few seconds and you have a nice hot meal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink