Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My brother's Italian father-in-law made his own red wine vinegar until the day he called them up in panic crying "I killed the mother, I killed the mother!"

I got to try it once, it was, indeed, excellent.

To the OP, I wouldn't be trying that regular (Star or Regina, e.g.) supermarket vinegar. I would look for something more expensive. They had a wonderful store for a while here in Dallas called Oil & Vinegar (it's a dutch chain, maybe in your city?) but it didn't make it, probably too expensive. They had like 16 different vinegars, or maybe more, and you could taste them all before buying. Oils too, of course. Try some of those top shelf vinegars at the fancy pants market in your area or even the regular market and see if you can't find a better one.

Maybe someday I'll make my own vinegar.. I don't know, sounds like a big project!

This website about vinegar making looks pretty interesting:

Gang of Pour - So, You Wanna Make Vinegar, Eh?
Yes. I remember the ugly look of the homemade stuff.
Poor mom.
Thank you for the site, although I am always a bit fearful of home brewing anything as stray bacteria may work its way into the mixture and could be dangerous - but I should learn more before I try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Use a good, dry wine instead of vinegar. You'll get your low acidity and the yummy flavor. Dry champagne is especially good.
This is a very interesting idea.
Thanks.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Default I should have said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I start with a good olive old base and add a touch of vinegar. I add port wine, seasoning, gralic, salt to taste and then I add a touch of sugare and a little lime juice. It is neither too sweet or two sour or too citrus and it has plenty of flavor. I taste as I go; it helps.
I should have said the only time I use this particular olive oil and vinegar dressing is on a salmon salad I make in the summer. It makes the salad yummy - or at least I think it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink