Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what's the difference. I read it years ago in Southern Living but we no longer have the magazine and I forgot.

I'm a BIG fan of country-fried steak.

Apparently in the eastern half of the South, country-fried is the most popular and in the western half, chicken-fried is the most popular. I've only travelled through the eastern half of the southern U.S. though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
Go figure, KFC calls it Country Fried Steak on their menus (and this is The West of the Coast you can get.)

Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
I've lived in the south all my life and didn't know there was a difference! But I searched Southern Living and came up with Dueling Steaks. It's from 1998 and someone's take on the differences.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...03/ai_n8802413

Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
All I know is I have a large Idaho Potato in the oven right now that is almost ready to pull out and slice open, fill with butter and eat!
I've also got my steaks thawed and sitting on the counter waiting for the potato to get enough done as I'm getting ready to make a stack of chicken-fried steaks using seasoned flour! YUM YUM YUM!!!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Go figure, KFC calls it Country Fried Steak on their menus (and this is The West of the Coast you can get.)
What? Canadians surely miss out. KFC has never sold country-fried steak here. No fast food restaurants (besides Tim Hortons) will sell biscuits for breakfast either.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I've lived in the south all my life and didn't know there was a difference! But I searched Southern Living and came up with Dueling Steaks. It's from 1998 and someone's take on the differences.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...03/ai_n8802413
Thanks for the article. I noticed two predominant differences between the two, looking at the recipes:

Chicken-Fried: Deep-fried, but no bacon grease is used
Country-Fried: Pan-fried, with bacon grease

Though chicken fried always comes with cream gravy, (instead of cream or brown with country-fried) as well as it being crispier, I think I'd miss it not being fried in bacon grease; it might change the flavour too much.

So for now, I'll remain a country-fried fan, at least until I get to try some good chicken-fried steaks.

*I found out the dividing line is roughly at the Mississippi river, not middle TN. Country is in the east, chicken is in the west.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Default Baked Potatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
All I know is I have a large Idaho Potato in the oven right now that is almost ready to pull out and slice open, fill with butter and eat!
I've also got my steaks thawed and sitting on the counter waiting for the potato to get enough done as I'm getting ready to make a stack of chicken-fried steaks using seasoned flour! YUM YUM YUM!!!!!

Sounds great, but you forgot the sour cream and chives on the baked potato. By the way, what time is dinner?

Paula

Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,837 times
[quote=ColdCanadian;509831]Thanks for the article. I noticed two predominant differences between the two, looking at the recipes:

Chicken-Fried: Deep-fried, but no bacon grease is used
Country-Fried: Pan-fried, with bacon grease

quote]

So there is a difference, thank you...

I'll stick with country fried myself, since thats how we make it...

Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
My mom when she was a young girl was cooking green beans when a member of her aunt's church was visiting, a 7th Day Adventist. He smelled the aroma from the kitchen and said "That sure smells good!", so my mom offered him some. After eating a big bowl he asked, "How do you make it", and she said, "First you take a big teaspoon of bacon grease..." That's as far as she got, because he bolted from the house. I guess they aren't allowed bacon grease. Everything goes better with bacon grease. My mom kept an old coffee can full on the stove for frying.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:30 AM

72 posts, read 100,892 times
It's basically the same thing. Different folks use different labels, but the end result is the same. And it is delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink