Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

My DD needs to create out of food an insect for a school project by this Friday. I told her I would ask some very creative people I know and get back to her.

She will have to create 21 insects or one large body of a chosen insect that have the following:

Head
Thorax
Addomen
Eyes
Antennae
Legs

Ants on a log using celery sticks and raisins for the ants is out because of the different body parts needed to be shown. Remember no spiders because they are not insects.

We are talking about a hissing cockroach made of chocolate cake or brownies, colored icing, black licorice for legs & antennae, brown M&Ms for eyes. She said there have been a ton of lady bug cupcakes she is wanting the "wow factor or creativity" grade that nobody has claimed yet.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Could you mold something out of rice-crispy treats (or cocoa crispies)? Hmmm.....putting my thinking cap on....I suppose you could use a plum for a thorax or abdomen...?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
1. Use cooked long-grain rice (overcooked a bit maybe so it splits)...to simulate maggots...and place it on some rice pudding with an icing layer on top...with some big red oozing circles (using some red Jello or grenadine syrup) incorporated into that even to simulate wounds in flesh with the maggots going to town on it. Hey...maggots are just fly larvae.

2. Use cream horns to simulate grubs!

3, Use raisins that have been plumped up in hot water to simulate ticks...OK...technically not insects.

4. Use edible rice paper to create butterflies...just paint the wings with food colors or use colored sugars or piping gel to decorate. The body of the insect could be made from Tootsie rolls heated and cut/rolled to shape.

5. Blanch some almonds and use the brown husk that comes off to form the wings for other insects, including cockroaches. Eyes could be created from tapioca pearls (cooked)....legs from rosemary "needles"...delicate wings from pickled ginger slices, etc.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
What a fun project and I think it is adorable that your daughter wants the "wow' factor. How about both a caterpillar AND a butterfly together? Melted hard candy cooled into thin pieces on wax paper can make the butterfly wings.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I am really not creative but here is my input.

What about picking a beetle type bug? Something with a long body. Then use a large veggie like a squash cut out the inside of it to give an open view of the inside "parts' and make the parts out of smaller foods like a cherry for the heart, add a plum for the head, licorice for legs, etc. And then I guess you would have to spray it with some kind of clear coat so it doesn't rot away before she gets it to school.

It would be big enough so she could describe all of the body parts and the functions.

Good luck. I was never good at those projects, lol.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
What a fun project and I think it is adorable that your daughter wants the "wow' factor. How about both a caterpillar AND a butterfly together? Melted hard candy cooled into thin pieces on wax paper can make the butterfly wings.

I love that! How cool would that be???

Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Great ideas coming in thanks! I didn't say it all has to be edible too. I like the rice krispie molding idea as that would hold up longer since she needs it for 6th period.

Rice paper we will have to see if we have that around here this is pretty rural. One store might have it if she decides to do a butterfly tonight.

Melted hard candies for wings is another wonderful idea for wings!

See I knew I could count on foodies here to give ideas keep them coming!

YLisa I don't know an orangish insect that we could use the squash for do you? That is a great idea to show the insides.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Great ideas coming in thanks! I didn't say it all has to be edible too. I like the rice krispie molding idea as that would hold up longer since she needs it for 6th period.

Rice paper we will have to see if we have that around here this is pretty rural. One store might have it if she decides to do a butterfly tonight.

Melted hard candies for wings is another wonderful idea for wings!

See I knew I could count on foodies here to give ideas keep them coming!

YLisa I don't know an orangish insect that we could use the squash for do you? That is a great idea to show the insides.
How about using a spaghetti squash and painting black lines on it for a yellow jacket? Keep it all in a little cooler, lol.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,185 times
Maybe a Bee and you could use Chocolate and Vanilla (mixed with yellow food coloring) frosting to make the strips. And you could put it on a plate of honey

Or you could make a few ants and have a ant hill made of brown sugar.

If you make the butterfly, maybe you could use edible glitter to color the wings and make a pretty design

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
How about an ant fashioned out of warmed up tootsie rolls? You buy the bigger sized ones, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, and then they can be molded like Play Doh for the head, thorax, and abdomen. You can use those black shoelace licorice wires for legs and antenae, and small candies for the eyes. The best part is that once it cools completely, it should be pretty portable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink