Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,917 times

Advertisements

I have grown to love good local sweet tea since being here for a year now. But an observation is driving me mad. It's never cold! No matter how much ice you add, how long it sits in the fridge, when you sip it, always seems to be, or feels about room temeperature?

I'm thinking it must be from all the sugar they add to it, making it kind of syrup-like? I don't know, maybe it is just my imagination?

Last edited by CarolinaCowboy; 05-02-2009 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,809 times
Default reply

The tea that mom made and now my wife's tea is darn cold after two hours in the fridge. I love it just warm and freshly brewed in a tall glass with crushed ice. Louisiane are the tea bags of choice. Just like Duke's is the only mayo for a real southerner. I could go on and on. That should be another thread.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
The tea that mom made and now my wife's tea is darn cold after two hours in the fridge. I love it just warm and freshly brewed in a tall glass with crushed ice. Louisiane are the tea bags of choice. Just like Duke's is the only mayo for a real southerner. I could go on and on. That should be another thread.
I know, crushed ice, right? I would like a pellet ice machine for my house, how crazy is that? I definitely think that it is the ice that does the trick!!!!

leigh

Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,174 times
sorry just a question, what's the big deal with "sweet tea?" it's just sweetened iced tea, right? they have that everywhere...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
I know a restauranrt which lists it Tea on the Menue:

Unsweetened Tea
Sweet Tea
Seriously Sweet Tea - which will put you in a diabetic coma for sure!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 AM

766 posts, read 1,658,101 times
My tea gets cold.

I don't like my tea too cold unless it's really hot or summertime.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I know, crushed ice, right? I would like a pellet ice machine for my house, how crazy is that? I definitely think that it is the ice that does the trick!!!!

leigh
Sonic sells their pellet ice by the bag. I like it better for certain drinks too!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I love it just warm and freshly brewed in a tall glass with crushed ice. Louisiane are the tea bags of choice. Just like Duke's is the only mayo for a real southerner. I could go on and on. That should be another thread.
Exactly! You should start that thread.
I agree, other mayos are like a whole different condiment. I've tried them and actually felt shame having a non-Duke's mayo in my fridge when people come over. I don't even try anymore... Slaw and deviled eggs are not the same without Duke's.

My tea gets cold too, but at 37, I've had to perfect the technique of making it just right over the years. I can finally make it so it tastes like the tea my grandmothers made (they didn't use a recipe or measure of course). Sometimes if you add too much sugar, it does never seem to get cold enough. Lemon juice helps in that case.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
I think probably what you are finding is that at restaurants the tea is sitting out at room temperature and on a warm day you need a whole lot of ice to cool it or the ice melts too quickly and you still have room temperature key. I don't think sugar has anything to do with it. Put it in the freezer and it will still freeze.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Hmmmm, my sweet tea gets and stays cold. I have a feeling that you are being served extremely fresh brewed sweet tea. The simply syrup should not keep it room temp. Just ask for an extra glass of ice alongside your sweet tea.

(I love Duke's also)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink