Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM

216 posts, read 314,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why I like hot dogs:

The Chicago hot dog.
Great pics jlawrence01, I am getting a hankering at work. There's also another type of Chicago dog: the simpler style you get and Gene's and Jude's, Redhot Ranch and Al's Under the El. Just mustard, onions and sport peppers on a beef dog and steamed bun, wrapped in wax paper with a heap of hand-cut fries. I go back and forth on which one I like better, the fully-loaded dog or the stripped-down version.

To the OP, I think you have to live in a place with a strong hot dog culture to truly understand the love for hot dogs. It's one of those foods that really defines a regional identity: Chicago with it's garden dog, Detroit with its coneys, Cincy with it's Skyline chili dog piled with shredded cheese, NYC with their hot dog pushcarts on every corner, down South with their coleslaw dogs, Jersey with its insane variety of all kinds of dogs, and so on. I can understand hating hot dogs if all you ever ate was Bar-S supermarket mystery meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
To the OP, I think you have to live in a place with a strong hot dog culture to truly understand the love for hot dogs. It's one of those foods that really defines a regional identity: Chicago with it's garden dog, Detroit with its coneys, Cincy with it's Skyline chili dog piled with shredded cheese, NYC with their hot dog pushcarts on every corner, down South with their coleslaw dogs, Jersey with its insane variety of all kinds of dogs, and so on. I can understand hating hot dogs if all you ever ate was Bar-S supermarket mystery meat.

You are missing a few.

In addition to the Detroit coney island, you have the Flint style coney which is made with a Koegel hot dog and Abbots hot dog topping. The topping is more similar to a loose meat than a chili.

What Is It? | Flint Coney Resource Site

Then, there is the Tony Packo's hot dog from Toledo which is pretty similar to the Detroit hot dog EXCEPT that the chili is made with a hot paprika as opposed to just chili powder. It was a taste that I really did not like for the first couple of bites BUT was pretty good overall.

If we could ban all chicken and turkey franks, the quality of hot dogs would increase substantially.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I'll help - the Chicago!

I live in Chicagoland ... but I would choose the Sonoran dog.

The originals include bacon, beans, grilled onions, fresh onions, tomatoes, mayo, mustard and jalapeno sauce. Add in a bit of guacamole and a small squirt of crema, and you have a great sandwich. I will admit that until you try it it sounds really like an odd combination.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
When I left Long Island for Florida..

3 Sabritt Dirty water dogs.. soda and chips. Five Dollars..

Every other exit on the LIE.. Dirty water dog truck..

The City was an entire different story..

Hot Pretzels with spicy mustard..

Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I bought 24 chicken dogs yesterday....for $3+.
And I got 16 quarter pounder burgers for $8+.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
weren't they invented by Germans?
Kind of, and Germans are now our allies, as are the Russians, who were once our enemy, and the enemy of the Germans.

Harrier is a political junkie, but when it comes to food or drink, politics goes right out the window.

Harrier does not like that Japan attacked Pearl harbor, but he likes sushi, teriyaki, and tempura.

Harrier does not like that Germany declared war on the United States first - but he does enjoy a bratwurst and lager, on occasion.

Harrier realizes that the war in Vietnam was strongly influenced by Cold War power games, but he likes a bowl of pho, and will eat a banh mi sandwich.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
People act as if its the best food in the world. I hate them...Now a juicy hamburger...then you're talking !
Because ground beef is such a quality healthful product?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Hot dogs are filling, especially coney islands. I love the chili and onions on them, and catsup adds the right zing. Add some crinkly fries to that, and you have a great cholesterol-filled (but delicious) meal.
"Nobody puts catsup on a hot dog."

Dirty Harry hates ketchup - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Wink Ingredients of a Hot Dog?

You start out with a chicken...remove the breast, thighs, drumsticks, wings and what is left are the INGREDIENTS to make a chicken HOT DOG.

I will pass THANKYOU.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 AM

Because they are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink