Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Not to mention bell peppers and hot peppers.

It is just trying to find new ways to use them that has me hitting my head against the wall.
Here's something I did off the cuff a couple weeks ago, and would fit your needs perfectly.

Take those bell peppers and a few tomatos and make vegitarian stuffed peppers (I am a huge meat-lover, but also like all foods, so this was a vegetarian meal).

Dice up some peppers, onions, garlic, and sautee them until crisp-tender. Add in a couple diced tomatos and a can of rinsed black beans. Season with Salt, pepper and whatever you want. (I love southwestern, so I used chili powder, cumin, oregeno).

The tomatos will render their juice, and it will simmer in it's liquid. At the point that you think they are "almost done", add some cornmeal a little bit at a time to thicken the mixture. You can also use rice, but again, my SW tendency kicks in. Then mix with some rice, and if you want a little bit of cheese (omit if you really want to be healthy). Stuff in peppers, cover with fresh salsa (see salsa thread), and again, sprinke with some more cheese if you want, and bake until done.

To make it really good, you can char and peel the peppers, but it works fine if you don't.

I don't give measurements because they are not necessary, just play around with it. You can also use various mole sauces to top with, or different sauces. I'm quite sure you can varie this recipe with white beans and different herbs to make it Italian, or whatever other cuisine you like.

I guess the point is to just play around and try stuff. If you are out and eat somethign you really enjoy, then think about how they made it and try to duplicate. If you really can't figure it out, ask here and you'll get an answer from this great community. Eating is fun, but when you start creating and making your own stuff, it takes it to the next level.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
If you are concerned about heart health, sodium content should be at the top of your list. I have a big problem with restaurants and food labels calling something "heart healthy" when it has more sodium than you need for your whole day in it!

Anyway, chili is one of the few dishes you can make a low sodium version of that tastes kind of like it should.
You can use vinegar (flavored vinegars are wonderful) to avoid or displace sodium in many dishes.

I am also a huge pepper-head. I understand capsaccum (the hot part of peppers, and probably spelled wrong too...) has many health benefits, including heart health, and joint relief...

Last edited by Bmateo; 09-13-2009 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: I put this last comment in because I was thinking about pepper vinegar when I posted.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Use quinoa instead of ground beef in chili. If you keep the low fat beef broth, you can have a very similar hearty texture and keep the flavor. Another thing I do with quinoa is cook it in chicken broth, cool, and mix with guacamole and a little bit of bacon (just a bit!) to dress a salad. Very hearty, and tastes so much more decadent than it is. It's a great source of protein and soluable fiber.

Some of my favorite "heart healthy" foods are blueberries, blackberries, any kind of dark berry. Irish steel-cut oatmeal. Lots of onion, garlic, and hot pepper. Green and garlic soup is another favorite.

Most of the food we eat is heart healthy. Stay away from breaded, fried, and cheese-d and you should be fine!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post

Use quinoa instead of ground beef in chili. If you keep the low fat beef broth, you can have a very similar hearty texture and keep the flavor. Another thing I do with quinoa is cook it in chicken broth, cool, and mix with guacamole and a little bit of bacon (just a bit!) to dress a salad. Very hearty, and tastes so much more decadent than it is. It's a great source of protein and soluable fiber.
I've never tried quinoa. You make it sound so yummy, I'm going to have to try some now. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
Fresh green beens, steamed to perfection.

Take from heat and toss with a little toasted sesame oil, and then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
I have 4 stents for 9 years now and watch what I eat but no really greasy fried food.

I buy only the lowest fat count beef, boneless skinless chicken, turkey, fish, beans,yogurt, blueberries-i do about a quart a week, spinach salad. No french fries,etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
It is just trying to find new ways to use them that has me hitting my head against the wall.
Are you familiar with ratatouille? Here's the def: a vegetable stew of Provence, typically consisting of eggplant, zucchini, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.

I make it in a skillet and get the outside brown and crisp... it's delicious and so. good. for. you.

Lots of recipes on the net.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Potato salad!!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I've never tried quinoa. You make it sound so yummy, I'm going to have to try some now. Thanks for the tip!
I just recently discovered it. Bought a tiny box at harris teeter for $4, then when we figured out we liked it we bought a huge 5lb bag from Costco for $8. Definitely cost effective that way.

It's chewy and nutty and soaks up whatever flavors you put with it, but it isn't bland. It's a meaty grain..definitely odd, but in a good way! I can't recommend it enough for someone looking for something a bit different from the rice, potatoes, etc. And my husband loves it and hates hippie food, so it gets high marks there!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Aiangel- when I did this a couple of years ago, I tried to get rid of most all of the red meat and substituted fish, chicken and turkey.

Whenever I made spaghetti and things like that, I started out doing a half and half of beef and turkey and slowly went to all turkey so it was not a huge difference in taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink