Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times

Advertisements

Re the Cheerios -wasn't it a few weeks ago the FDA chided Genr'l Mills for that claim as it's not true?

DKVA-I took myself off cholesterol meds as I had been eating so healthy for 15 months-low fat yog, tons of blueberries, low fat cottage cheese, spinach salad 2x a day, just small portion of very lean meat for dinner-and my chol doubled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doc said it's because my body produces it-so back on meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Re the Cheerios -wasn't it a few weeks ago the FDA chided Genr'l Mills for that claim as it's not true?

DKVA-I took myself off cholesterol meds as I had been eating so healthy for 15 months-low fat yog, tons of blueberries, low fat cottage cheese, spinach salad 2x a day, just small portion of very lean meat for dinner-and my chol doubled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doc said it's because my body produces it-so back on meds.
Bummer, after going through all of that. And it all sounds soooooooo healthy!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:36 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,774,668 times
Default Heart Healthy Meals

The baked chicken, broiled fish is getting old. Potatoes rice and pasta are not allowed.Neither is bread except for rye and whole grain in limited quantities.

I have been steaming vegetables. Salads eveyday. Quinoa and brown rice. Lentils and beans and plenty of fruit.

My normal spices are garlic, onion, basil, oregano,rosemary, curry, pepper.

For breakfast I've been serving grits, oatmeal with apples, raisins and berries to keep it varied. One a week we have turkey sausage with eggs and the toast

For hamburgers I substitute meat with portabella mushrooms.

I need new recipes what are y'all cooking? My husband and I are sick of my cooking!!

I'm not sick of eggplant or cactus yet!!

Please need new chick salad and tunafish recipes!! I will crosspost this in food section but I thought I'd try here first!

What are y'all cooking?

Thank you!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 AM

My husband won't eat yogurt.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Ground turkey meatloaf. or turkey chili.

Target & Trader Joes both sell nice curry simmer sauces in jars, so chicken or turkey curry over cauliflower rice or brown rice?

Add feta & cilantro to your grain salads, I love them mixed in with barley & also some beetroots.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Eat less, you'll be surprised how much cutting your calorie intake by 30-50% can do for your health. The biggest problem with American diets is the portions are too large. Too much sugar and carbs. You can be healthy eating just about anything by limiting portion.

As for what's good for the heart the Mediterranean diet is the best. High quality fats from fish, extra virgin olive oils, tomatoes, and red wine.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Try the What's for Dinner thread in the vegetarian section - lots of good ideas there!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
I don't know if the way we cook would be termed "heart healthy". That said, we eat a lot of the same things you mention just with different cooking methods and the addtion of really flavorful spices and marinades.

For example, for your veggies - start roasting them in the oven or grill outside if you grill. I use flavored balsamic vinegars a LOT on veggies and on meats as well. Lots of fresh lemon and lime juices as well.

When preparing a dish that includes cheese, I use a cheese that has a lot of flavor in a very small serving. Just a few crumbles of blue cheese or a few shreds of a good pecorino romano bring a lot of taste.

I make tuna patties every couple of weeks. I don't really have a recipe - just a couple cans of drained tuna, about 1/2 c panko bread crumbs, chopped onion, lime juice and egg white as binder. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours before making the patties. They're crumbly sometimes. This recipe is similar to what I do - I just eliminate the cheese.
Easy Tuna Patties Recipe - Allrecipes.com

We also use a Misto sprayer for oil. Some times when pan frying things you need just a bit of oil but rarely the amount the recipe suggests. The misto allows for the oil to be spread well over the pan and you need very little.

Here's a shaved brussel sprout salad I'll be making this weekend. I cheat and buy the pre-shaved sprouts. I also use more vinegar/less oil than the dressing calls for. https://wholefully.com/shaved-brusse...pples-walnuts/

Here's another salad that's an oldie. I had this at a friends house years ago and fell in love with it!
Hearts Of Palm potato Salad - South Beach Phase 1 Recipe - Food.com

best of luck to you! Have fun experimenting. Think of the foods you used to eat before you changed your way of eating and search for heart healthy versions of that food. You'd be surprised at what you'll find!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM

O wow! Thank you! Those sound wondrful!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
Yeah! Glad you like them.

A couple other things I make frequently - especially in the summer -

Georgia Slaw (a vinegar based slaw dressing) https://www.thespruce.com/tasty-coleslaw-recipe-3053919. I only use about 1T of sugar instead of the recommended amount and replace a bit of the white vinegar with rice vinegar. I eliminate the salt too. This is good on top of cooked shredded chicken that's mixed with a little low-sodium BBQ sauce. You could even make it an open face sandwich with bread.

Roasted Cabbage: Cut whole cabbage into "steaks" about 1/2" thick. Place on foil lined pan lightly sprayed with olive oil. Drizzle lightly with balsamic and roast to desired doneness. Would probably be good with lime juice too.

Pickled beets: Scrub each beet well and wrap in foil. Roast at 400-450 until done (usually about an hour depending on the size of the beet). Chop, marinate in vinegar (I generally just use cider vinegar) S/P and marinate in the fridge for a day or so.

You can probably tell I like the bite of vinegar

Hubby makes a great red beans and rice siminar to this: Cajun Red Beans and Rice Recipe | MyRecipes . Use your weekly serving of turkey sausage in this. If you make it with canned tomatoes or sauce, use the lowest sodium version you can find. Sub out the rice for riced cauliflower. You really can't tell the difference. Frankly, I like the cauli better! We always seem to add vinegar to this one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink