Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,914,083 times

Advertisements

I have been rather Green and Crunchy..before Green and Cruncy became "stylish or the thing to do". I think alot of it has to do with where you are brought up and the cuisine you are used to.

Being Brought up in a warm climate (so cal)..its very hard to digest a tony romas ribs all the time....and its just more refreshing to have salads, or grilled broiled food (chicken fish ...whatever). The healthfood craze over there has been around for YEARS.

Thats not to say people dont eat fast food, they are not obese..etc etc etc.

But its climate and palette and more importantly the offering and selections of food in your part of the woods.

Ever notice when you do a beach vacation there are tons of seafood around? Why..because you are near the ocean...every other place has a surf and turf going on all the time.

And there is a HUGE difference between organic and natural thing.

I wish I had a whole foods, but we have trader joes and a mothers earth..which is good enough. But our major supermarkets have a great selection of organics and less processed foods, so unless its worth the trip..I dont go out of my way.

And we stopped eating fast food long before "Fast Food Nation" came out. and if you dont like what you see try watching "Super Size ME"..wow will you be enlightened and if that doesnt change your habits for you or your children..wow wow wow.

Its not worth it from a health standpoint at all. Why spend 8 bucks at mickey dees (where the meat comes from god knows where) when you can enjoy an all you can eat salad bar somewhere else?

For the parents out there I highly reccomend the lite reading of "chew on this". It really doesnt advocate anything but a better lifestyle and a way of eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM

66 posts, read 230,706 times
To answer prichard's first comment/ question. It's a total rip off. Every store now s a section of organic... including wal mart. Walmart is jumping on the bandwagon of organic and the high powered lobbyists in washington are actually working thei butts off to get organic standards lowered so wal mart can have it's own, cheap brand of watered down organic... You want organic? Grow a garden.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,077,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnikee View Post
To answer prichard's first comment/ question. It's a total rip off. Every store now s a section of organic... including wal mart. Walmart is jumping on the bandwagon of organic and the high powered lobbyists in washington are actually working thei butts off to get organic standards lowered so wal mart can have it's own, cheap brand of watered down organic... You want organic? Grow a garden.
True. I've heard about those lowered standards.
That's why I buy milk and eggs from brands like Organic Valley, who continue to keep up the higher standards though they were offered *other* arrangements.
I do grow some of my own stuff, and there is an organic farm near where I live.
I'm not quite ready to begin my own dairy farm, though.
Sure Whole Foods can be a bit of a rip-off at times, and I hate that it bought out Wild Oats. But I still see more good than bad with Whole Paycheck.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

800 posts, read 4,302,922 times
How'd you get out only spending $20? *hee hee!*

I didn't read the rest of the posts, so not sure if anyone said this...In my area, we call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" Hee hee!

Once per month I stock up on my gluten-free, dairy-free products and other pantry neccessities...I usually spend about $150-200 per month there...but...

I'm only sick once per year with a cold. I reversed chronic fatigue syndrome and another serious illness. I'm fit, slim, vibrant, and calm.

I am happy with the simpler things in life...like great food that makes me smile. I've just accepted that sometimes, I have to pay more for it

I also go to Trader Joe's now and then too.

I just wish I could have my own organic farm and grow it all myself. It would maybe save me money...LOL, I spend $60-80 per week on produce...not all organic, but I call it my secondary health insurance policy

Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,329,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I have been rather Green and Crunchy..before Green and Cruncy became "stylish or the thing to do". .
I must be weird, well....i know i am. lol Everytime i see someone mention "green and crunchy people" it always reminds me of a joke about a dragon wanting to eat someone because "they are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,398,585 times
I'd rather shop at Kroger too rather than Walmart, and the Kroger in my area has been offering more and more organic foods--which saves me from having to drive 40 minutes to a Whole Foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
we had those here. I would have to drive 3 hours.

There is a difference. I for one prefer to not eat hormones, bovine growth hormone- and whatever other carcinogens are pumped into food to make it cheaper/last longer.

Walmart is a horrible store with disgusting labor policies. I only shop at Kroger- everything is higher but at least Im not supporting oppression of uneducated workers. Be happy you have a choice.

sunny

Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,433,025 times
Quote:
You want organic? Grow a garden.
Man if it was simple as that id have grown a graden years ago! I cant even get grass to grow in the dust NM passes off as dirt.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,077,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Man if it was simple as that id have grown a graden years ago! I cant even get grass to grow in the dust NM passes off as dirt.
You can grow tomatoes in a pot.
That's what I'm doing and I ended up with a lot.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,472,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I've gone to Whole Foods a handfull of times. Each time, I leave wondering "what the heck was I thinking?" The prices are outrageous. I've discovered that this whole "organic" things is a load of BS, and that "free-range" chicken isn't 1/2 as good as the stuff they pump full of hormones. The produce is very limited and not nearly as good quality as what you can get at Publix. I don't care much for the ethnic or wierd granola sections of Whole Foods, and when I went there (why - because a former girl-friend liked to go there), I left with a sack full of stuff I didn't really want to eat that cost me $20.

I DON'T GET IT!!! I really don't like the selection of food or the quality at Whole Foods.
I agree the prices are a bit high, but I dont mind, because like someone said it does have a lot of options for vegetarians and vegans. Being a vegetarian myself, I find a lot of yummy things there to choose from . I like the prepared foods section especially. I really dont know about Publix, have never been there. I dont like the granola or ethnic sections either. Other than that I like almost everything about Whole foods-the best part being it is really close to my house .

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 AM

202 posts, read 272,195 times
Quote:
You want organic? Grow a garden.
Bravo...otherwise you're simply paying for trendiness and savvy marketing.

I grew up in farming country. Pay for "organic" eggs when they're free to cheap at my parents' house or a farmer's market? Pitifully small bags of "designer" sweet corn, when it's growing in acres and acres all around me? Pffft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink