Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 AM

237 posts, read 861,115 times

Advertisements

Wow, some folks here really drank the kool-aid on this one.

First of all - the food at Whole Foods isn't somehow magically healthier for you than at any other grocery store.

If you are buying processed food anywhere - Whole Foods or otherwise - it is still bad for you.

If you are buying natural, whole foods anywhere and preparing your own meals, it can be good for you.

It doesn't matter where I buy my steel-cut whole oats or natural long-grain rice to make my own meals. They are the same everywhere (often, the exact same packages & brands at Whole Foods & conventional groceries)

Processed foods, even if they come from Whole Foods are not good for you. However, natural, unprocessed foods can be bought many places, not just Whole Foods.

Also, do not delude yourself into thinking that the Whole Foods deli & bakery are healthy foods. Extremely high fat, high sugar crap, with an appalling lack to true healthy, whole ingredients. Especially the vegan baked goods.

The best fruits and vegetables you can buy are local. They are better for the environment and for you. They require no wax & chemicals to look good and lose less nutrients because shipping time is decreased. Also, decreased shipping is the plus for the environment.

Also, the employees are not as happy as the company would like you to think. Ask the (former) employees of the Madison, Wisconsin store. The ones who lost their jobs because they expressed interest in union protection. Or ask the employees in my area. The ones who were reporting an average of 12 labor code violations a month to the Labor Relations Board. (example violations would include failure to pay minimum wage, failure to pay over-time, failure to provide paychecks as stated by the company policy, illegal payroll deductions, etc.)

Really, it isn't where you shop - it is what you do with what you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,076,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
Wow, some folks here really drank the kool-aid on this one.
Suzee, I don't think you read through the entire thread.
Quote:
Also, the employees are not as happy as the company would like you to think. Ask the (former) employees of the Madison, Wisconsin store. The ones who lost their jobs because they expressed interest in union protection. Or ask the employees in my area. The ones who were reporting an average of 12 labor code violations a month to the Labor Relations Board. (example violations would include failure to pay minimum wage, failure to pay over-time, failure to provide paychecks as stated by the company policy, illegal payroll deductions, etc.)
This is one of the reasons I was so sad to hear that Whole Foods was buying Wild Oats. But I think the food co-ops and organic farms will survive.
People everywhere are supporting locally produced foods.
Quote:
Really, it isn't where you shop - it is what you do with what you buy.
I don't think you've ever shopped at the Piggly Wiggly in Port St Joe, Florida.
Trust me, not every town has the same resources as Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,586,364 times
I'm not a vegetarian but I shopped at Whole Foods a few times. One thing that I did notice was the meats (beef) and the produce. I purchased some t-bone steaks (crushed my recreational cash for the month) and some romaine lettuce; tomatoes; onions. As I was cleaning and washing off the steak, I noticed that there wasn't a smell to the meat, like I didn't smell blood or that weird stinky smell when I buy meat from the grocery stores. Now, I'm not a big eater and tend to fill fast. Once the dinner was done, I realized that the meat was actually quite tender (with minimal tenderizing by me) and I was able to eat the entire Steak without feeling bloated, as is normal for me whenever I eat a steak (even 1/2). In addition, I ate a piece of the Romaine lettuce and tomatoes without any salad dressing and it was the first time that I realized lettuce has flavor without dressings. Unlike the Romaine I purchase in the chain grocery stores. Although I can't afford to shop at Whole Foods often, I do think their foods are free from steriods and I'm convinced that's why I feel bloated when eating meat from national chain stores.

My neice now has an organic garden and she's always bringing me fresh herbs and vegetables, so I'm able to at least get that free of charge.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 PM

46 posts, read 203,113 times
Whole Foods lover here. I started shopping there because I am convinced our family was experiencing health and mood problems due to our diets. I swung the complete opposite on the pendulum to using no chemicals of any sort in our diets and purchasing meats and dairy grown locally at a farm I can see and visit as I like. We also began supplements. Whole Foods is higher but the food tastes better and I know it is real food, not just the cheapest ingredients (food or not) a manufacturer has gotten their hands on.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 PM

46 posts, read 203,113 times
By the way, I had to run to the (very near) market today for BBQ sauce. There was not even ONE bottle on the shelf without High Fructose Corn Syrup in the first or second ingredient. Most brands had Red 40 in them too. No thanks. We didn't have the BBQ afterall.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,812,619 times
Well, I'm another Whole Foods lover. I'm not a vegetarian. I agree their prices are high, but for what I go there for I'm willing to pay more for better quality. I don't do all my shopping there - it's split with Trader Joes.
As someone else mentioned , Whole Foods has a great salad bar and food bar for lunch. My office is right by one, so I go there a couple of times a week. I buy mostly the fruits and vegetables there, and the seafood is awesome. Expensive, yes, but the sales help with that. The quality of the produce is far superior to any other store I've been in, with possible exception of Bristol Farms, which is also great, but really expensive. All the people working in there are friendly, and the service is great.
I also love Trader Joes. They have great prices. We get cheese, coffee, dairy products, tofu, nuts, cereal, etc there. I probably do 90% of my shopping between the two. Love them!!! Oh, and Whole Foods has that cute wine bar in the middle (at least the one in Tustin, CA) where you can go after work and have a glass of wine and a plate of cheese and fruit. Love it.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM

218 posts, read 606,904 times
I use to go often to Whole Foods for items I couldn't get in a conventional grocery store, but now we have Trader Joe's and the organic stuff is cheaper and just as fresh. Way better price on nuts and grains.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,443,688 times
Default Sorry, I just couldn't resist adding to this thread...

Publix just opened their first Flagship Store called "Greenwise" on PGA Blvd. in Palm Beach Gardens/ FL.
Since I work there, I had to be "educated" in certain aspects pertaining to the "organic", "fair trade" and "all natural" thing. Numerous and long classes, meeting, training and tests.....huh.......
Yes, it is a different "lifestyle" to go all organic and/ or natural, AND a money and price question as well.
I have come to the conclusion, that there IS a difference between the conventional products, and the natural/ organic. One phrase to describe it best with is "Going BACK to BASICS" !
To many things have gone on with manipulating food over the years, no matter what food it might be.
Now, people never seen and had so many food related health issues like we are seen now. Young children never, ever had so many allergies, immune and auto immune diseases like we are seeing now. And, of course....don't get me started with foods being imported from outside the country. (Remember the horror about the seafood/ fish imported from China???)
One thing to keep in mind.....always..... The US has high standards, regulations and rules (they COULD be tighter, however, they are one amongst the toughest in the world)
Other countries DO NOT have strictly regulated practices, and rather tend to make the bucks first, and ask questions later. There are hardly ANY food safety rules in effect, and whatever is being shipped here to the US or anywhere else, we tend to eat it, without concerns or questions asked. I will bet my bottom dollar, if people would actually KNOW on HOW farmed fish is REALLY farmed and raised, and what being fed....they would re-think eating fish from countries like Bangladesh, China...etc.
Since I work in a "green" store (mixed with conventional items) I have found that some natural and/ or organic items are priced equal in comparison with conventional stuff, and/ or in other instances priced much higher.
I started buying our natural meats, because I know what's NOT in it, AND it is stricter controlled.
I also started growing my own tomatoes, herbs, because that's what I grew up with, and it tastes so much better.
I am sick and tired buying vine ripe tomatoes tasting like nothing but water, when it is so easy to grow them in a large pot on the patio yourself.
I am more educated now, more conscious of food and the effects, and I am doing just what I mentioned before.....making an effort of "going back to basics".
By the way....I am NOT vegetarian, and I STILL LOVE "junk food" like chocolate....like THAT'S good for ya....LOL.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,865,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You know the interesting thing. I have been a vegetarian for pretty much my whole life. I never drank or smoked, took drugs, nothing. I have also never stood in front of a Burger King with a sign or go around the supermarket telling people not to buy that junk food or even tell anyone my views or how to live their life and it is my business how I live my life.

However, when someone finds out you are a vegetarian instead of saying nothing like, "That's interesting" their first response is most often defensive, or even hostile. Why do you suppose that is? Your comment "Eat grass" while exhibiting, I am assuming no knowledge on the subject at all, is a thinly disguised attempt to insult vegetarians for what ever reason you have. I never really have understood that.
I'm working my way toward vegetarianism. I gave up red meat and pork 7 years ago. I'm married to a guy who is not into the vegetarian thing so I still cook and eat chicken and fish. Harder each year.

I never understood the insults either. Why on earth would somebody care if you didn't want to eat dead animals? I don't say anything if they eat a pig...which to me is a lovely as a pet dog.

I try to be understanding as my journey is not complete.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,328,428 times
Some non-vegetarians feel threatened by their way of eating, and that's why they give vegetarians a hard time.
For all those who would ask me what i eat when finding out i am a vegetarian, i would always tell them "Food." That shut them up better than any other response. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink