Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times

Advertisements

Chocolate chip cookie. They had GREAT freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

But I only had about 1 per year. We brought our lunches from home every day. I never understood why people didn't bring their own lunch.... it was mostly laziness with my friends. Except my Italian American friend, who had the best pasta leftovers from last night's dinner.

Kids ate so so so bad at the school cafeteria. Did mom's know that their kids just bought pizza, soda, and Funyans everyday? Terrible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most of our school lunches were fairly disgusting, because we had three neighborhood elementary schools, but only one outfitted with a full kitchen. So everything was cooked at one school, then delivered to the other two schools to be kept warm on steam tables. I went to one of the schools where food was kept warm via steam tables, which did not improve its consistency or texture. I was a big brown bagger, for this reason.

This is what happened at my junior high. They built a new building and the last year I was in junior high they moved us into the new building. They acted like it was so wonderful that they didn't have to cook at our school. The food was all cooked at a nearby high school and delivered to our school. It certainly didn't make the food better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I was growning up we didn't have breakfast at school. By the time my kids were in school some schools had started serving it, especially in the inner cities or the poorer areas. We expericned this when bussing was the in thing and our kids were bused across town. They always wanted to eat breakfast at school cause some morning they got hot doge, mind you.
No breakfast when I was in school either. When my kids first started school, breakfast were only served to the kids on reduced/free lunch programs. A few years into it, they started serving breakfast to all the kids. It was served in the classrooms, during morning announcements. They would deliver something like cinnamon rolls, breakfast sandwiches, or burritos and milk to each classroom. My kids never really liked it, so I fed them at home before school. If we were running late, I at least knew they could eat at school if they needed to.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Been so long, don't remember too many of those meals but would have to vote yea whenever they had the pizzas and also like the days when there were tater tots (as long as they weren't over-cooked).

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post

This is what happened at my junior high. They built a new building and the last year I was in junior high they moved us into the new building. They acted like it was so wonderful that they didn't have to cook at our school. The food was all cooked at a nearby high school and delivered to our school. It certainly didn't make the food better.

No breakfast when I was in school either. When my kids first started school, breakfast were only served to the kids on reduced/free lunch programs. A few years into it, they started serving breakfast to all the kids. It was served in the classrooms, during morning announcements. They would deliver something like cinnamon rolls, breakfast sandwiches, or burritos and milk to each classroom. My kids never really liked it, so I fed them at home before school. If we were running late, I at least knew they could eat at school if they needed to.
The free or reduced breakfasts were only served when my kids were bussed to those that should have been on the lunch programs as well but they school district decided to include all kids and yes, at the reduced price (10 cents for breakfas) I complained pointing out our 2 little ones didn't need the 10 cent price, but they said they had no choice. They didn't want to make those on the program uncomfortable. I was torn between trying to explain to a first and second grader daddy made enough money for them to pay more for breakfast and why some kids needed to eat at school. Believe me, now that they are adults they understand but then they didn't so we did let them have breakfast at school on hot dog mornings. I didn't like the idea of the schools serving hot dogs either but their reasoning and it might have been true, it was one way to get protein into these kids that probably got almost none at home.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
No breakfast at our school either. For lunch, almost all of us would bring lunch sometimes and eat the cafeteria food sometimes. That was in elementary school when we had to eat as a class in the cafeteria. In Middle and Senior school, if we had a note in our file, we could leave campus for lunch and either go home or elsewhere. I don't think I ever ate at the cafeteria after 6th grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Except my Italian American friend, who had the best pasta leftovers from last night's dinner.
That's funny - when school lunch comes up I always think of one of my friend's in particular. She did happen to be Italian but, unlike your friend, this girl brought the exact same lunch to school every day for years on end. It was a chipped ham sandwich on white bread, a piece of fruit, and a big slice of home made chocolate cake. She's one of very few kids who never ever ate the cafeteria food (except for a carton of chocolate milk).

Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

That's funny - when school lunch comes up I always think of one of my friend's in particular. She did happen to be Italian but, unlike your friend, this girl brought the exact same lunch to school every day for years on end. It was a chipped ham sandwich on white bread, a piece of fruit, and a big slice of home made chocolate cake. She's one of very few kids who never ever ate the cafeteria food (except for a carton of chocolate milk).
That's funny!

I ate tuna fish on white bread, with a piece of fruit, every day for lunch. Every single day. And my mom let me buy chocolate milk at school, which was my "treat".

Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I was in elementary school, there was no cafeteria. I walked the four blocks home, ate, and walked the four blocks back for the afternoon session. Sometimes, my Gram would give me money to eat at the Horn & Hardart automat or the 5&10 lunch counter, but mostly I went home because Gram would make me the best lunch and we would listen to Kate Smith and Our Gal Sunday on the radio while we ate.
I did this too. We had things like Franco American Spaghetti, or Peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches, or grilled cheese and tomato soup. I watched a Boston show called Big Brother at noontime, then trudged back to school in the afternoon.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
I always brought my lunch. The cafeteria food was expensive, and of very low quality.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Pizza and tater tots other than that I always brought my lunch. I work in a school cafeteria now and the food in the HS looks 10X better than what we had growing up. I don't remember having tacos, bacon, boneless ribs hot wings ect.... heres a smaple of some of the foods served in the HS:
spicy chicken patty on a WW bun, turkey mozzarella panini, sweet potato fries, fresh fruit and pop corn chicken salad.(that's on Tuesdays) Wedenesdays is bacon cheese burgers,or meatball parm hero, potato rounds, fresh fruit, fiesta chicken salad. You can get either of these 3 choices plus they have a seperate deli line for cold sandwiches, a snack line, and a taco line. They serve the taco meat in a taco shell and you can put what ever toppings you like or you can get loaded nachos. They used to have a frozen yogurt machine but it broke 2 months ago I really like that. fruit and milk comes with the lunches, sometime they have jello or chocolate pudding with whipped topping.

How about the contracted restaurants now? They are getting things like Subway, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell in the schools.

I was in 12th grade when Dominos pizza was available on Fridays, but I also remember the days when everything came in the shape of an ice cream scoop, and you could tell there were days when the food was clearly reheated left overs.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I never attended a school that allowed you to leave campus for lunch. More often than not, we were made to sit with our class, often in assigned seats. I hated that so much.

For my kids, in high school various parent organizations (band boosters, PTA etc) sold stuff like Chick Fil A, on certain days. Both my kids loved that. The volunteer moms would show up with big coolers full of Chick Fil A sandwiches, and sell them for something like $3-$4 each. They always sold out, and at least on those days, I knew my kids had eaten lunch. At the 3 high schools here in our community, seniors are allowed to leave campus for lunch. I try to never drive near any of the high schools at lunch time, nor any fast food places, for fear of being hit by some teenager in a hurry to get back to campus before the tardy bell rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink