Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I wonder what of our current foods/recipes will make people shudder in a few decades !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
From plaidmom's link:

"Here's to ... placenta! Yes, let's have these in brandy snifters. Let's just tip our heads back and let the chunks slide in."

I am laughing so hard I am crying.

Placenta parties have become quite trendy in some ( very small) quarters here in the UK would you believe. You get invited to an after-birth party .

I think I am pretty adventurous when it comes to eating but I have no desire to eat the Placenta of one of my friends/neighbours. Call me odd but canapes would do just fine !

Seriously though Placenta is apparently eaten in many societies as it is supposed to put back a Woman on her feet quite quickly after birth, replenishing all the nutrients lost during the pregnancy and birth .

Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I wonder what of our current foods/recipes will make people shudder in a few decades !!
Fried "everything". Twinkies etc. I can't see that being a trend that will last very long. Mostly because people will die off from the coronary disease.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM

244 posts, read 718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Placenta parties have become quite trendy in some ( very small) quarters here in the UK would you believe. You get invited to an after-birth party .

I think I am pretty adventurous when it comes to eating but I have no desire to eat the Placenta of one of my friends/neighbours. Call me odd but canapes would do just fine !

Seriously though Placenta is apparently eaten in many societies as it is supposed to put back a Woman on her feet quite quickly after birth, replenishing all the nutrients lost during the pregnancy and birth .

I heard of this just recently. I could do the research, but do you know off hand which culture(s) this originated from?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
I heard of this just recently. I could do the research, but do you know off hand which culture(s) this originated from?
I think China and Vietnam are two of the places where Placentophagy exist.

The Placenta is generally held by most culture and tribal societies to be sacred and often buried with great ceremony and respect. Many tribes believe it to have been alive, some of them even think the Placenta is the Twin of the born child.

If I remember correctly the Maori word for the Placenta is the same as for "homeland/country".

The thing which is fascinating is that most animals eat their own placenta, including herbivores.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
From plaidmom's link:

"Here's to ... placenta! Yes, let's have these in brandy snifters. Let's just tip our heads back and let the chunks slide in."

I am laughing so hard I am crying.
Someone sent me the WW link a long time ago. As many times as I've seen them, I still laugh so hard I cry every time I click on that link. I keep expecting that it won't be quite as funny having seen them so many times, but there's something about them that just keeps me laughing.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Mooseketeer, I think animals mothers do that to hide the evidence of their helpless young. The smell will attract predators.

I don't know about you, but between placentophagy and the array of jellied horrors in the thread I posted, I am feeling SUPER hungry! How about you?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM

244 posts, read 718,143 times
yeah, I read Moose's post right before Mexican food, it was delicious, btw. Thanks for the laughs today ladies (we are all ladies, right?)

Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Mooseketeer, I think animals mothers do that to hide the evidence of their helpless young. The smell will attract predators.

I don't know about you, but between placentophagy and the array of jellied horrors in the thread I posted, I am feeling SUPER hungry! How about you?
Very Hungry ! Bring on the Tripes, Heart, Lungs and other assorted delights...

Jelly is actually one of the things I truly loathe ( but will still eat if presented with it) whether as Jello or Gelatine type thing. I might even prefer Placenta to that ! I think the idea of placenta is more repulsive than it probably tastes... Like most foods we tend to dislike really. It's all in the mind.

I suspect you are right about animals trying to eliminate any risks of predation on their young though I presume there are also some nutritional value .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink