Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times

Advertisements

My oldest daughter, 11, really likes to help me cook. I would like to make a cookbook for her. In the front I would like to have a section for the very basics like how long to boil an egg, how long to bake a potatoe, boil pasta, substitue buttermilk for milk plus vinigar, when you can use applesause in place of oil, that kind of thing. Then I thought we would begin to make the cookbook together, we would hand write the recipes, make them together and take a photo of each one. Would a phota album work or a 3 ring binger with page protecters, taping the recipe and photo on card stock work? As you can tell I am not very creative so any ideas would be great. Also what are some good tips/basics for the front?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
I made my daughter one for Christmas. Got a regular binder & a 3 hole punch? They were all the recipes from myself and her Grandmother. Ones we've had while she was growing up. I divided them up into categories and got the plastic protectors to put them in. Decorated the outside of the binder and I still keep adding to it. It is something she will have the rest of her life.
that's a wonderful gift to start for your daughter.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
It's not a cookbook, but for my cousins' baby showers my mom got a photo album, printed out cards on card stock, and had us all write parenting advice in there (she also decorated it and stuff). That would probably work well, except have recipes instead of parenting stuff. Since there's plastic protectors on there to keep off splotches and spills.

It is a really cute idea. My mom doesn't good, but my dad told me that when I get married he'll have his cookbook (an old 5-subject notebook) rebound for me.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My oldest daughter, 11, really likes to help me cook. I would like to make a cookbook for her. In the front I would like to have a section for the very basics like how long to boil an egg, how long to bake a potatoe, boil pasta, substitue buttermilk for milk plus vinigar, when you can use applesause in place of oil, that kind of thing. Then I thought we would begin to make the cookbook together, we would hand write the recipes, make them together and take a photo of each one. Would a phota album work or a 3 ring binger with page protecters, taping the recipe and photo on card stock work? As you can tell I am not very creative so any ideas would be great. Also what are some good tips/basics for the front?
Your ideas sound pretty creative to me!

I like the 3-ring binder with page protectors idea.

In addition to recipes you already have, how about asking your relatives and best friends to each give you one for the collection? Ask them to hand-write them for you, if they are able. That could add to the sweet memories.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
If you put recipes on cardstock, make sure you use adhesive, not tape. You can find good adhesive at WM, Target, scrapbook stores, etc. Glue sticks will lose their effectiveness after about 4-5 years. After about 10 years the tape will yellow and start to fall apart. If this is something your daughter will use for a lifetime, which I think it is, don't use tape!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
Two ideas.

First, buy her a brand new Betty Crocker cookbook. That will contain a lot of the very basics.

Second, make sure that you record all the family favorites over the past two generations. So many older people die without recording their treasured recipes and they are lost forever.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:09 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
You can also have a book "made" and spiral bound at some office supply stores. It's not terribly expensive.
Looks sort of like this, like a regular spiral bound notebook, but nicer. http://ivypink.typepad.com/.a/6a00e0...27c9970b-320wi
If you get the pages laminated they'll be spill proof and the book will last a long time. I still have a book my daughter made for school fifteen years ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
You can go to any of the online photo sites (snapfish, kodak, shutterfly, etc) and make a photo book. You can upload pictures and included text ony pages. It is VERY professional looking and occasionally you can get really good deals on these books. I would recommend this as the way to go b/c it looks so nice and will last a long time.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
If I were to make it I would make it like a scrapbook type thing and laminate the pages. I would take pictures of us and our dishes together and handwrite the recipe. They have a cookbook scrapbook at Hobby Lobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink