Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

A little packet of pickled ginger and wasabi I had left from a supermarket Sushi take out . Not real Sushi so a little embarassing but it is better than Mc Donald's !

And way too many drinks, at the moment I have about 11 bottles of juices and little else in the fridge. I am probably more embarassed about what isn't in the fridge ( ie : food) than what is to tell the truth !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
6 different kinds of mustard
4 different kinds of horseradish
8 kinds of salad dressings
condiments. and more condiments. did I mention his and hers salsas? Miracle whip and mayo? steak sauce (57) and ketsup. and hersheys syrup.
Sounds like our fridge. Don't forget the his and hers (x3 or 4) barbecue sauces.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Not ashamed exactly, more like, it makes my mom wonder if I ever cook. I have..hardly anything in my fridge. My freezer has 4 ice cube trays and the bucket, a pound of frozen uncooked shrimp, a package of steamer veggies, and one of those blue things you put in lunchboxes to keep the food cold.

We downsized our tall, wide fridge when we replaced it this year to a shorter deeper one, because it was just too wasteful. The thing is, I don't stockpile. I'll buy 3-4 pounds of ground meat when it's on sale, seperate it into 1-pound packs and freeze whichever ones I'm not using within the next couple of days. So by the end of the week, the fridge has no meat in it. By the end of the month, neither does the freezer. That's pretty much the only thing I buy in bulk.

My sister's fridge, on the other hand, is a nightmare. I was caring for her when she recovered from surgery, and went to make room for some special food for post-op. There was a bowl of something.. it was green, and looked crunchy, sort of like thin spinach tortilla strips. It was nested in around a handful of paler green powder. Turns out, it was home-made cole slaw from 2 years ago. Next to it was an unopened pound of cheddar cheese. The "sell by date" was three years prior.

I didn't bother opening the milk, or checking the date. I just took the container out and wrapped it in a plastic bag and put the bag in the trash.

She gets it from my mother. When sis and I grew up and moved out, we'd come home to visit - and conspire when mom was out running errands. We'd go through the freezer, pick random items from the back of the shelves, and throw them away. Anything that was covered with a layer of frost - in the trash.

You needed a pry-bar to get through some of these 8-year-old family packs of chicken layered on top of each other, with ancient frozen pizza boxes inbetween.

I rebelled. My husband is grateful.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
6 different kinds of mustard
4 different kinds of horseradish
8 kinds of salad dressings
condiments. and more condiments. did I mention his and hers salsas? Miracle whip and mayo? steak sauce (57) and ketsup. and hersheys syrup. and straberry jam.
There's not much room for food.....oh, and parmision cheese, and...........
That's a well-stocked fridge; what's there to be ashamed of? I esp love diff kinds of mustard.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Hahaha, we have tons of condiments too. Yellow mustard, honey mustard, a couple different brown spicy mustards, dijon mustard, an unopened jar of stoneground mustard that I will use someday, ketchup, sweet relish, dill relish, bread and butter pickles, giardinera, that red chili paste stuff with a rooster on the jar, jelly, almond butter, mayo ... I think I have Miracle Whip in there somewhere ...

Please don't notice the eleventy Tupperware containers in the back.

Do you ever toss a container of leftovers rather than washing it out, because you dread opening it?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
that red chili paste stuff with a rooster on the jar,
Sriracha!

Quote:
Do you ever toss a container of leftovers rather than washing it out, because you dread opening it?
Yep.

My fridge is a disaster right now. The door is completely full of condiments and they are even starting to take over the shelves. I need to get proactive and start moving some to the outside fridge.

There is some questionable celery and cukes in the one drawer. Some leftover sausage gravy outside that God only knows how long it's been there.

Three different kinds of milk (regular 2% for DH, I drink Hood Calorie Countdown milk and also have the chocolate variety, 2 cartons of that), two cartons of heavy cream and one carton of half and half.

And a bag of Salad Toppers that is old. Has to go.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Three different kinds of milk (regular 2% for DH, I drink Hood Calorie Countdown milk and also have the chocolate variety, 2 cartons of that), two cartons of heavy cream and one carton of half and half.
I hear that. After I do my grocery shopping on the weekends, my doors have two gallons of 1% (for the kids), two gallons of FF or 1/2% (for my husband's protein shakes and my cereal), one half-gallon of light vanilla soy milk for my oldest daughter (milk makes her sick), and one half-gallon of light chocolate soy milk (which I drink in the morning with my vitamins).

Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah ... I figure those cheapo Glad containers -- or better yet, a hummus or butter container -- cost 50 cents each, and it is well worth 50 cents not to have to look inside. Especially if the contents are kinda liquidy. Ick.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Y'all are cracking me up!

I wasn't aware that my condiment addiction was something to cause shame and embarrassment.

True Confessions Time: my worst condiment-hoarding habit has to be saving salad dressing. I love to make homemade dressing, only I tend to make a tad too much for the salad each night. I can't bear waste, so I save the leftovers in little jars...and then tend to forget about them. At the end of the month I have a fridge full of little glass jars, each containing a few millimeters of fuzzy, thick, oily glop.

One of these days I'm going to mix them all together and see if I can create a new life form.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Quote:

Oh my ~~ yes indeed, I do that too. As long as it's NOT in my good lock-n-lock containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink