Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:42 PM

221 posts, read 335,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Watch out there was a problem with exploding after a rear end crash. .
Canyonero? . These have the Kevlar "trunk pack", which I would assume would prevent a loose tire iron puncturing the gas tank in a 60mph rear end collision. I feel safer already

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'd figure out which is in the best condition. If there are parts on the worse of the two that is in better shape than the better of the two, swap them. Sell the worse of the two for a small profit. Use the money for paint & body work so it doesn't look like a cop car. Pick a factory original color. See if you can find quality nice hubcaps until you can afford decent looking rims. Interior things like the rear seat can probably be replaced at a discount through salvage yards.
The rougher one has better mechanicals/more stuff replaced. Don't feel like messing around too much with these. I would like to get those Ford full wheel covers, but at $100+ for hubcaps...they are staying dog-dish. Beyond that, leaving these things as-is after running the buffer over them to make a nicely polished turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Those are 4.6 motored cars, aren't they ? If so, I bet they are hopped up a little more than the usual passenger car versions. Or do they put 5.0's in them ?

Do they leave the windows dark tinted or do they remove it or make you remove it ?

Don
4.6's. And nothing special about them either. The dual exhaust 250 horse version, of which you can get with a standard CV with dual exhaust option. Ok, there is an oil cooler added, big whoops, eh? I kind of wish it was like the days of a 440 or 460 or 454 that could be found in an ex-cop car. Now that would be cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Put a few cheap antennas on the trunk. Just for added fun.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
I got a bit carried away and bought 2 Crown Vic police cars from the State Police. It was such a deal for a fully functioning car I just couldn't stop at just one. Now after reality set in and I discovered that the "Police Interceptor" emblem on the back was much like an "R" sticker on a Civic...now what?

Give me some interesting things to do with these things to make them entertaining, before I unload them on Craigslist. Whatcha got?

Just to be nosy...What year, what did you pay for them and what kind of mileage are on them?

Did you go to auction or buy them from the police motor pool?

I want one of those or the Caprice. The Ford is cheaper in the long run as they made millions of them and parts are out there. I don't care about mileage as I am retired an putt around at the most. If a taxi driver can beat one all day long it should last me more than a few years.
Those things will do 120+.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Watch out there was a problem with exploding after a rear end crash. The only reason the police went with Fords is because Chevy stople making the full size Rwd Caprice. Many towns and city's repaired and rebuilt there old fleet of Caprices untill they were beyond repair. Now that Chevy has a new smaller Caprice I see allot of police driving them by me.
Ford recalled the police VICs but left the civilian ones unprotected. With police cars at times Ford concentrates on making them ;then Chevy and now Chrysler. Lately its been Chrysler and the price was much cheaper than Ford. In Texas its pretty much decided by DPS who sets the specs. It really depends on what department and their maintenance program as to now good they are.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:25 PM

221 posts, read 335,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Just to be nosy...What year, what did you pay for them and what kind of mileage are on them?

Did you go to auction or buy them from the police motor pool?
It was an auction hosted by Illinois. https://ibid.illinois.gov/browse.php?id=211

Usually it is junk or nothing there, but the Tollway system was doing a great Crown Vic purge over the last couple weeks and that's where I got these.

There is also a live suburban auction occasionally around here with like an 8% buyers 'premium' (ripoff). Prices seem high looking at the past auction results. They will be having a nice big one next week with what looks like a bunch of county cars, should be interesting to see how much those go for. Illinois Auctioneers Municipal Equipment Auctions Wisconsin Auction Services Seized Auto Auctions .

They are 06 and 07, 137K and 150K. I paid 1425 and 1625. Some newer ones and non-white ones went between 2K and 2600, but with similar mileage, too rich for my blood for what is the same car IMO. These have all-cloth seats and carpeting as a bonus compared to the newer ones, so I like that also.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They get 25mpg on the highway. Not bad or a true 6 seater.
Except the P71 is not gonna have a bench up front. But I suppose you can always stick one in.

You can find on ebay a number of cars with all the wig wags still on them, like this example. Good for what, private security? Scaring people and watching traffic slow down all around you?

Ford Crown Victoria Pursuit Vehicle | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln