Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:11 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I do not understand how foreclosures are confidential information. Aren't they in public records? I can understand the nondisclosure if the bank orders the appraisal, but can't individuals order appraisals too?
An appraisal is confidential to the buyer as is a CMA done for a buyer or done specifically for a seller. While the home information may be viewed publicly, how the data was compiled, comps adjusted, data was selected, and final figures were arrived at are confidential to the client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for the great replies. FWIW, I am in a small subdivision (only 60 homes) and this has been the only foreclosure in the past 18 months and we all saw it coming (home was not maintained at all, owner was delinquent on HOA dues for 8 months ect) and I have no reason to expect a flood of foreclosures in the neighbirhood. There are sales regularly in my neighborhood so I imagine 6 months from now there will be 4 more recent sales after this foreclosure is sold. My neighborhood is comprised of very similar homes with almost identical upgrades, lot sizes ect... so just about every sale is considered a good comp.

Thanks again for the great explanations!
NRG,

You have hit on a key point.
Most duress sales include the dynamic of a home not being maintained, along with the emotions of the nature of the duress.

When one is not making payments on the property, or HOA dues, it usually means that their is no money being put into the home either.

I was in one of the foulest homes I have seen yesterday. A foreclosure. Actually horrifying to see kids' toys around.
Definitely... I wouldn't want it comped to set the value if I lived in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs