Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,618 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are considering relocating for my husbands job and the homes that are in our price range are mostly in Greeley, I've heard bad things about Greeley, although I don't know how accurate they are. I am curious about Evans though. Does anyone have much info about Evans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Evans and Greeley are separated by a street, with Evans having the worse reputation as it has a worse history of gang issues. The fact of the matter is there are really 3 bad areas in Greeley/Evans, the further east you go the worse it gets, and the north area East of 23rd and north of 9th street gets pretty bad, and the very south end of Evans where there are old run down trailer parks and houses. The rule of thumb for both towns is the further West you go the better the neighborhood.

The pricing for rentals is certainly reflecting the neighborhood, so depending on what you price range is I would be very careful on committing to a rental that seems below market value without spending some time looking at the area.

I have lived in the Greeley area in the past when it was actually worse than it is now, and had my primary office in the area for the last 10+ years, and despite the reputation I do not find it worse than the Fort Collins area where I have lived most of the last 10+ years. I have had a higher ranking police officer admit to me that certain people in the upper parts of city management ensure that crimes stats are largely under reported in Fort Collins to keep the crystal clean image and their high ranking in best places to live.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM

78 posts, read 128,946 times
I agree with the above reporter that Evans and Greeley are basically identical in terms of safety, location, etc. You can't tell where one ends and one begins. Greeley has a bad rap, but it's not as bad as people say. (like most places probably!) Feel free to ask if you have specific questions. I'm going to send you a PM also.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Evan's WAS worse than Greeley (when I lived there briefly in 1970's (Sis and DS, and SIL lived in Greeley for 20+ yrs)). I would expect that to be similar (tho Greeley is MUCH worse 40 yrs later). I still go there 3-5x / yr and have friends living in Greeley. I know they would not consider living in Evans to be same as Greeley (quality of life). Evans is VERY small and should be considered a Neighborhood of Greeley. it lies low, and has HWY 85 and train racks, so... less desirable than the country club and quaint areas of Greeley (near college). NW Evans has a lot of apartments.

There are still some GREAT areas in Greeley, buy wisely (consider renting instead, as MUCH ezr to get good cash flows / use your RE $ elsewhere) Greeley can be a really TOUGH sellers market.

Where is the 'j-o-b'?

Old 09-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Evan's WAS worse than Greeley (when I lived there briefly in 1970's (Sis and DS, and SIL lived in Greeley for 20+ yrs)). I would expect that to be similar (tho Greeley is MUCH worse 40 yrs later). I still go there 3-5x / yr and have friends living in Greeley. I know they would not consider living in Evans to be same as Greeley (quality of life). Evans is VERY small and should be considered a Neighborhood of Greeley. it lies low, and has HWY 85 and train racks, so... less desirable than the country club and quaint areas of Greeley (near college). NW Evans has a lot of apartments.

There are still some GREAT areas in Greeley, buy wisely (consider renting instead, as MUCH ezr to get good cash flows / use your RE $ elsewhere) Greeley can be a really TOUGH sellers market.

Where is the 'j-o-b'?
You are thinking of just the old Evans, Evans now stretches out west to at least 77th Ave, with half the new subdivisions in the area having been placed along 37th street which can be either Greeley or Evans depending on the block. The old area of Evans, was considerably smaller and I agree a much rougher area, but for the most part it is no different than the eastern edge of Greeley these days.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You are thinking of just the old Evans, ...The old area of Evans, was considerably smaller and I agree a much rougher area, but for the most part it is no different than the eastern edge of Greeley these days.
Maybe you mean the 'WESTERN' edge of Greeley? Adjacent to the WESTERN edge of Evans?

The EASTERN part of Greeley is not too nice, and more similar to 'old' Evans (IMHO)

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe you mean the 'WESTERN' edge of Greeley? Adjacent to the WESTERN edge of Evans?

The EASTERN part of Greeley is not too nice, and more similar to 'old' Evans (IMHO)
Um, the Southern Edge of Greeley is adjacent to the North end of Evans.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:19 AM

yes, of course... I though your were mentioning the western edge of Evans (Evans now stretches out west to at least 77th Ave,)
was similar to eastern edge Greeley. See my error in missing your qualifier. "The old area of Evans, ... for the most part it is no different than the eastern edge of Greeley these days." which I concur,

thus for OP... some parts of Western Evans may likely meet *acceptable (?) Greeley stds (but price will reflect that).

*acceptable (?) Greeley stds (We don't know if OP will accept Greeley stds)

Not that Greeley is any different than other cities in the region +/- areas in each. (I would be concerned with re-sell, but you can check values and 'days on market' to get the stats)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area