Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times

Advertisements

Friend of mine that lives there has told me that they are now moving people in that are on something like Section 8 housing. They are not 55+ and many have kids. Not interested in buying there as only in my 40's.

Just curious as to how they can possibly let this happen? I do know there were many vacancies and they probably had to do it in order to get the $. No one was able to sell then..can you imagine now? I am sure this change has plumetted property values to nothing now. Shame!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 AM

68 posts, read 296,393 times
What I've heard from a property owner is that when a percentage of a development (around 40%, I think) is rented, then owners are allowed to accept section 8.

Century Village used to be known as the ultimate in condo commandos-I'm skeptical this is true. Even if they allow renters, They used to be hard and fast on the 55+ rule. Highly unlikely the board there would allow this situation.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Thanks holly. Guess with economy anything goes. I feel bad for the owners that still live there daily as with all those younger people moving in..with kids they are losing the benefit of the reason they purchased there in the first place. Many places over the years have been relaxing the 55+ rule and saying only 1 person living there has to be 55+.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 48,314 times
I would take a visit and let your eyes judge for you . Century in Boca is still maintained beautifully and looks exceptional compared to the other Century Villages. The Boca complex is a huge over 55 complex with very low cost of living but the complex itself is in the best part of West Boca . Don't take anyones word go and see for yourself . Even in these severe economic times when many condos are no longer kept well C.V Boca is actually better , they continually improve and update the complex.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times
I would like to know more about Century Village, thinking of retiring to the area.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
It is due to the bad economy. They are having trouble filling their units and got desperate. Gotta make money somehow to stay afloat.

I personally know a guy who is 25 years old who recently moved into another one of these 55+ communities. Not Century Village but one similar to it.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

238 posts, read 575,932 times
I'm wondering if these stories are really true...my dad lives in Century Village in Deerfield Beach and though i haven't been down there in some time, if that sort of thing was going on, and he was seeing a lot of young families with young children living in the complex, i think he would have mentioned it to me and he has not...

And as far as i know, whether owner or renter...at least one person living in the apartment is required to be 55+ and Children must be over 18 years of age i believe...any age is allowed to visit...but living there is another matter...

Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
craig10x-

Why would I make that story up? Rules can be broken in desperate times. I'm sure the associations voted to temporarily lift the restrictions to avoid going bankrupt. It is better to allow a few younger residents than than to go belly up.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
There is a rule in the communities that the average age can be 55. I had an employee that lived with his elderly mother in a 55+ community. In the event of her death, he would still be allowed to live there (he is under 55).

Century Village really should be considered a last resort before a homeless shelter. It is low priced for a reason and full of miserable old people, mostly from New York. It was a great concept for the developer but the reality is that the place sucks. Visit and suddenly you will be reminded of a poverty version of Seinfeld's "Del Boca Vista!"

Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

238 posts, read 575,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
craig10x-

Why would I make that story up? Rules can be broken in desperate times. I'm sure the associations voted to temporarily lift the restrictions to avoid going bankrupt. It is better to allow a few younger residents than than to go belly up.
When i talk to him over the weekend on the phone, i will ask him about this...he gets a lot of "inside information" about what is going on in the complex from a lot of the friends he "hangs out with" at "poolside" (lol)

Also he is very "observant" so i will ask him if he has seen any indication of this in his development...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area