Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,485,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicahuck View Post
Thank you so much! All of this info is so helpful and helping ease my mind... At least a little bit...
Monicahuck-

South FL is VERY different than what you're accustomed to in NC. But it has its own unique charms that are unlike NC or anywhere else. We have beautiful beaches here and lots of outdoor water-related activities. Not sure if you're into that. But I think you'll be happy overall here. It will be a change in lifestyle, and will not replace what you have in NC. But it will be a new chapter in your life.

I agreed with the poster who recommended Southwest Ranches. That may be a good area for you due to its rural feel. Much of South FL is overly cookie-cutter and built up. But Southwest Ranches maintains a farm-feel that you don't get in other suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,843,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
I grew up in Davie, lived in a neighborhood called Whispering Pines just off Flamingo Road near Orange Drive. There's a big section of older homes with lots of land nearby, see 16th Street SW, 14th Street, all around that area near Weston High School. It was a great place to live!
Not Weston High School.

Western High School.

Whispering Pines is definitely great. We have friends who live there.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,843,938 times
+1 on Southwest Ranches. You can find homes for rent there. And AFAIK most of Southwest Ranches kids go to Falcon Cove Middle school or Cypress Bay High School (both in Weston and are considered top schools)

Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 39,471 times
I looked into Southwest Ranches and it looks like a great area. But the majority of rental houses are very expensive. I think we may be learning towards Cooper City at the moment..... I also didn't realize how expensive it would be just to get into a rental home. First and last month's rent AND a security deposit. You are looking at around $7,500 just to get into something. Culture shock... I guess we will be living in the real world now! We have been spoiled with the cost of living here in NC!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM

I have been keeping an eye on rental homes in the area. Things seem to go really fast. I plan on flying down in late April to look for the rental. Does anyone know if more rental homes might open up in that time? Or think it may get busier as people are moving towards the end of school?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 AM

622 posts, read 1,667,703 times
You'll be spoiled once you move here and don't have to pay those silly state taxes anymore. Just keep your eyes open on the listings. Rentals will open up all the time! You can always check out other rental sites, just do some google searching for them. Lots more out there besides craigslist and realtor.com

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
+1 on Southwest Ranches. You can find homes for rent there. And AFAIK most of Southwest Ranches kids go to Falcon Cove Middle school or Cypress Bay High School (both in Weston and are considered top schools)
SW Ranches is mostly West Broward HS. I am not sure about the middle school. SW Ranches is really nice. I can agree with you on that.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM

177 posts, read 405,997 times
Davie, Weston, Plantation, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City are all nice areas. On the real any one of those cities you decide to live in you will be traffic sometimes but, not all the time. What ages are the kids?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Our kids are 9 and 6. My daughter will be entering 5th grade, so next year we will have a middle schooler and an elementary.

I do have a REALTOR who is going to help us with a rental. He sends us daily updates of the rental market. But even with that, when I have called a couple of times, they say, "Well that one is rented." Even on listing that just opened up that day!

Not to mention there are so many houses that are currently for sale. I would hate to rent a house that is for sale, then have to move in the middle of our lease. We really would like to find something that we could stay in 3 to 5 years or so. And I guess that might be difficult. I just DESPISE to move. I'd like to get my kids settled and stay there. We have lived in the same home for 11 years so we haven't ever moved with the kids. Been there done that since husband was in the military for the first 10 years of our marrige.

I love this board though. I have been doing lots of searching and reading up on the areas. Everyone is great and it has been SO helpful!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 117,689 times
$2,500 is a big budget, you should be able to find what you are looking for in the areas you want! I currently live in Weston and absolutely love it! We live off of Glades & I 75, it's beautiful but a bit a of a drive to 'civilization' if you want to be 5-10 minutes to things like major stores, restaurants & the beach. But I75 & 595 make everything a little more accessible, although the construction on 595 is a headache at times, so I would tell you to stay closer to Weston Rd, the homes Hampton Lakes, Riverwalk are very nice and def rentable under $2,500. Check out Forest Ridge & Shenandoah in Davie, Ivanhoe Estates by Griffin & I-75, Country Glen in Cooper City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area