Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 32,516 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am sure this questions might have been asked before but we need fresh information.
We are a couple in early 30s with a 2yo kid and looking to buy a house (3bedrooms/ 2baths). Our budget is pretty low 150-170K max. We are currently renting in NMB.
We kept looking for single family houses in Davie as we noticed that they have pretty large lots.
We know that the good schools are in Davie, Cooper City area but you can find good schools if you go all the way west near 75 (you can be in Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City and Weston). We would love a rather newer single family home (1980 and up) with a good lot (5,000 sqft & up) to be around good schools.

My husband is working in downtown Miami and were looking for a commute no longer than 1hr (if that could be possible). I am working in Hollywood so I should be in a 30min. commute.

Searching for houses in the areas that we considered, we realized the following:
- Hollywood has areas with nice homes & big lots (north of Sheridan and east of FL Turnpike) but rather old 1950-1970.
- Davie has newer houses with big lots but could not find something around Griffin area to be newer and good looking. There were a few but by the time we got the chance to find them and visit them, they were purchased.
- Copper City doesn’t have many houses in our price range and the same with Pembroke Pines that has many communities.
Can anyone give us some pieces of advices and also areas to consider for our search. We feel like we got stuck and can’t find anything in our budget.
Please help!!

thank you all!

have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remada View Post
Hello everyone!
I am sure this questions might have been asked before but we need fresh information.
We are a couple in early 30s with a 2yo kid and looking to buy a house (3bedrooms/ 2baths). Our budget is pretty low 150-170K max.
If you can come up just a little in price you should be able to find something.

Try looking in PP West of I-75, right around Pines Blvd/172 Ave. There are lots of sub $200K listings in that area and the area is nice. The houses are not brand new and are smaller lots but you will have a very difficult finding a sub $200K house in a nice area on a large lot. Schools should be ok in PP. It is close to I-75/US 27 and should not take you to long to get to Hollywood.

PP right around University will have lots of sub $200K homes but I don't like that area as much as West PP. It's not unsafe but it's more run down than the western part of the city. There are some gem neighborhoods in that area so you may want to look around really carefully.

Another area to consider is the part of Sunrise that is adjacent to Weston. It is south of I-75, east of Weston Road, and borders the Shenandoah section of Davie. This part of Sunrise AND the Shenandoah section of Davie will have some sub $200K houses. Nice area.

You will find sub $200K houses in some parts of Plantation that are very nice. I live in Plantation but the public high schools here are not very good.

Cooper City, south of Griffin Rd, between University and Palm (Nob Hill) may have some sub $200K homes. They are not new but the neighborhood is nice.

If you look you can find sub $200K house in Weston. There aren't a lot of them but they are there. They may need some work but if you can get into the lower price range in Weston you can't beat the combination of neighborhood, schools and convenience. Weston is really close to I-75.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM

95 posts, read 214,554 times
Default Pretty much same

Hey

Would really really love some inputs on this

We are a couple in early 30's with kind under 1 year

Wife works in Kendall and I work from home.For the past 2 years we were planning to move to Kendall.Presently staying in PIne Island Ridge,Davie.But have decided to stay back as there is Vanpool for her work and somehow didnt like Miami in those 10-15 visits I made to look for rental apts

A SFH in a good neighborhood with good schools and decent lot(atleast 5000) is what my target it

I can push to spend ard $240k to $270K

Can anybody suggest decent communities in this price range in Miramar,Pembroke Pines,Southwest Ranches and Weston?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Thank you Momma_bear

I really appreciate your reply. You did not mention much about Davie area though, we really liked it and lost a bid on the east of Fl Turnpike- Griffin area. I know some people are bothered by the planes above, but we took that as one of the minuses, and accepted it.

Thank you for your info will look into Sunrise area. I’ve heard of Shenandoah as a nice area, but did not want to go as north, for my husband’s commute but we’ll see where is best to make a compromise.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you Momma_bear

I really appreciate your reply. You did not mention much about Davie area though, we really liked it and lost a bid on the east of Fl Turnpike- Griffin area. I know some people are bothered by the planes above, but we took that as one of the minuses, and accepted it.

Thank you for your info will look into Sunrise area. I’ve heard of Shenandoah as a nice area, but did not want to go as north, for my husband’s commute but we’ll see where is best to make a compromise.
Shenandoah is in Davie. The area in Sunrise that I am referencing is next to Shenandoah. You can probably find something else in that other area of Davie where you were looking. The planes would drive me crazy.

You just have to keep looking and move swiftly when something comes up. Anything decent under $200K will sell.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Default very true!!

Yes you are sooo right! I wish we knew all these 2 weeks ago.
We just missed 3 verry nice properties in Davie, very well priced. Now, we are waiting for new ones to come, if any at all. Everyone talks about the fact that the real estate business is missing buyers and there are more properties than buyers. I have the feeling it is the other way around, at least for the are and price we are looking at.

thank you very much for the info.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
We just missed 3 verry nice properties in Davie, very well priced. Now, we are waiting for new ones to come, if any at all. Everyone talks about the fact that the real estate business is missing buyers and there are more properties than buyers. I have the feeling it is the other way around, at least for the are and price we are looking at.

There are still more properties than buyers but when something good and well priced comes on the market it sells.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Default How are you going about?

Quote:

How are you going about your search?
Is it a realtor who is looking or you have some contacts/websites?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM

I have a realtor. Is there another way to go??

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Maybe no

Quote:
I have a realtor. Is there another way to go??
Hi..You are right
I just want to know..I am a novice and dont know a thing.Thought may be there are websites or some better means

All the best on your plans

Met somebody today(just now) that bought a SFH in Miramar West ..but that was 315K. he says: it was listed for 350K and he was outbid(he bid 350K)

the other seller backed out and they came back to him
On appraisal it came back as 315K and they ultimately sold for the same

Post us your progress..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area