Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 159,561 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving down to the Fort Lauderdale area so I can attend Graduate School at Nova Southeastern. We want a safe community to live in, and are considering Weston. Our budget for rent is around $1200. If anyone knows of apartments of condos for rent in the area, or information about Weston in general we would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I responded to your other thread. I also live in Weston, and I rent for less than that. But there is absolutely no reason to rent this far out here if you are going to school at Nova. It's more expensive, not dramatically safer (yeah, as a whole it is but what matters is neighborhood), and it's the worst possible commute in Broward because traffic in the morning on 595 is bad. Yes, the community is safe, clean, and you shouldn't have a problem finding a 1 bedroom in the Bonaventure area, or in one of the (IMO, crappy) apartment complexes like Fairlake at Weston or St. Andrews, which is decent but the apartments are supposed to be small.

Unless you have a serious paranoia of crime and fear leaving your house every day where you live right now, I do not recommend living all the way out here in Weston. The posters here will make South Florida sound like some kind of gotham city where only Weston and Parkland are safe, but that's not the case. There are very very few areas in Broward that are unsafe during the day time and only a few at night, not that I would live in some of those areas but Davie by the university is completely fine, as are other communities that are much closer like Plantation or even Sunrise if you want more bang for your buck.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the information. I am finding it confusing trying to figure out between what roads and such are good areas and what are bad. Also, every apartment I read reviews about says they are the crappiest thing ever.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayANDadam View Post
Thanks for the information. I am finding it confusing trying to figure out between what roads and such are good areas and what are bad. Also, every apartment I read reviews about says they are the crappiest thing ever.
Apartmentratings is the City-Data of apartment websites: all they do is complain. However, a lot of the places really are crap holes. I hear nothing but bad things about Fairlake in Weston, so scratch that off. St. Andrews is quiet and it looks well maintained.

Anyway, I know it sounds confusing with all of the areas, but I can tell you one thing. Anything west of University Drive is safe, with no checkerborad, it's safe all the way out to the everglades, from the entire span of the county. East of that boundary it gets more confusing to pick out the good and not that good areas. It's not like you get robbed crossing the line, but there are neighborhoods that I would not live in east of that line and once you go east of the Turnpike, it can get really sketchy in spots.

Basically, you have five "bands" running through central Broward, because the layout of South FL is long and skinny.

You have east of US1, which is the coastal areas, upscale, overpriced.

You have west of US1 to 95, which is an inconsistent mix.

You have between 95 and the turnpike, which is pretty much all around run down until you get very far north, with a few notable exceptions. I promise that you will make it through alive (lol) but this is the highest crime area in central Broward.

You have between the turnpike and university, which doesn't have many really bad places, but is still dicey depending on the locale.

Then you have west of University DR. Anywhere USA.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-27-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM

619 posts, read 2,200,117 times
Well, now, Compelled, that is the clearest explanation of the area I have yet to come across. Thank you!!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Yeah, thanks for the information. We will probably stick west of University for now, and once we get used to the city we can see if there are other places that seem like a good fit for us. Your info has really been helpful though.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
The area right around Nova University should be fine. Close to campus, in the middle of everything and priced reasonably.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times
You mentioned 95 and the turnpike as probably being thhe worst of the five band area. What about W Commercial Blvd & NW 33rd Ave, just north of Lauderdale Lakes? Is that area iffy also or is it a OK pocket in a iffy area.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM

57 posts, read 159,180 times
Are there any 3-4 bdrm apartments or townhouses or single family homes in Weston for RENT? Planning a move and not wanting to buy yet. 3 children 1 will be away at college not wanting to pay more than 2000 -2300 for rent. What can that get me if anything? If not affordable for Weston where that is comparable?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgru View Post
Are there any 3-4 bdrm apartments or townhouses or single family homes in Weston for RENT? Planning a move and not wanting to buy yet. 3 children 1 will be away at college not wanting to pay more than 2000 -2300 for rent. What can that get me if anything? If not affordable for Weston where that is comparable?
2300 will be NO problem. Unless you want to live in Windmill Reserve or need a sprawling estate, that should cover most of Weston for what you want. Zip code 33326 and 33327 should have the most properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area