Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 AM

188 posts, read 587,901 times

Advertisements

I have not experienced everything Nolefan34 speaks of. I agree with his points from #1, #2, most of #4 ,#5 and #6 But:
Point #3: In most suburbs in other parts of the country people devote time to helping their community. Here it is normal to not know your next door neighbor. That was the case when we moved into our apartment but when we moved into our home we had many neighbors waiting at my front door to meet us with wine and brownies in hand. Try moving to the Pennslyvania Dutch area outside of Allentown. No one talked to us for weeks. And when they did, it was another transplant like us. People actually say "Hi" here to us. Yes, there is rudeness around but I haven't experienced on nolefan34's level.
On point #4: Crime is rampant here. And not just petty crime. Hard core shootings and robberies are happening on a daily basis. So much so that it is not shocking anymore. But those types of crimes are not happening in the areas where Chelsa is looking. Not that they can't or won't but I have not seen it in her areas. I haven't experienced the homeless aspect in the western suburbs either. I have never been aproached at a Publix or gas station. But I would hope that the haves would help the havenots.
I think a lot of what you say is spot on but not so much in the areas Chelsa is looking at though. I don't doubt what you say happens Fort Lauderdale and some of the areas that surround Fort Lauderdale. it seems she is focusing on the westeren suburbs and I have not had the experiences on the level you mention. Except the rode rage and heat. Can't get away from those items anywhere you live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 32,698 times
I just moved to the area and i seem to like it. It might take some time for me to gedt into the social scene if there is one. but coming from new york it was time for a change and I have a job in health care paying 2 dollars more per hour than what I was making in New york.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
tankev
Quote:
That was the case when we moved into our apartment but when we moved into our home we had many neighbors waiting at my front door to meet us with wine and brownies in hand.
I have lived in two homes here in South Florida (houses). I have NEVER had anyone give us brownies or anything else. We knew two of the neighbors, no one else spoke to us. One morning our A.C. unit caught fire and we had to call fire department. Well, one of our "neighbors" tells the fire chief that he saw someone on the side of our home around 4:00 am that morning. He gave that tid bit around 11:00 am that day. I thought to myself, what a absolute moron, I would have not only called the police ON SIGHT if I saw someone do that to a neighbor, I would have informed them as soon as I saw they were awake that day. I have only seen ONE place that was community oriented to me. That was in plantation, in what I think is called "old plantation". I was riding bike over there during 4th of July one year and actually saw people barricade the streets off, have DJs outside and BBQ, reminded of a block party you would see in Brooklyn. But again that was in ONE area. I am generally out and about walking around and recently I have resolved to taking mass transit and going to different areas of Fort Lauderdale to try and get to know down here better. In all my travels it was only that ONE place that I saw a since of camaraderie amongst neighbors, it was a good site to see. I think if more neighborhoods were like that down here it would make this place a more enjoyable place to be.

Quote:
I don't get a lot of hellos here. More often than not I have made eye contact, said hello and the people didn't respond, just looked the other way. Yes, there is rudeness around but I haven't experienced on nolefan34's level. On point #4: Crime is rampant here. And not just petty crime. Hard core shootings and robberies are happening on a daily basis. So much so that it is not shocking anymore. But those types of crimes are not happening in the areas where Chelsa is looking.
Not sure where she is looking but I can speak for the nicer parts of Plantation like near the city hall and old plantation and yes there has been break ins and I also witnessed a attempted mob hit. Some Columbian drug dealer was selling coke and the FBI had a sting operation going (they asked to sit in our drive way on one occasion.). Another occasion they sent people to kill this guy and they broke into the wrong home and shot the wrong family. This was in a area where homes were going for 300,000 to 400,000 so not a poor area by any stretch. Also had a string of break ins. Same for parts of Sunrise closer to the Sawgrass Mills Mall, break ins, have seen cops with helicopters looking for suspects etc. I can't speak for Weston, but this place (Broward County) is no stranger to crime. One last story, lady I work with was living in Plantation and someone kicked her door in while her roommate was home and robbed the place, again in a middle class area). Not that they can't or won't but I have not seen it in her areas. I haven't experienced the homeless aspect in the western suburbs either.

Quote:
I have never been aproached at a Publix or gas station. But I would hope that the haves would help the havenots. I think a lot of what you say is spot on but not so much in the areas Chelsa is looking at though. I don't doubt what you say happens Fort Lauderdale and some of the areas that surround Fort Lauderdale.
Yeah, lot of homeless in the city core of Fort Lauderdale. Also, there are a LOT of half way houses and assisted living houses in Fort Lauderdale's city core. In Sailboat bend for an example they have an extraordinary amount of sexual predators listed there. Also half way house or two for ex drug addicts and alcoholics. In Flagler Village there are crack houses and prostitutes. Part of Victoria Park, closer to the park you can see some really non family friendly things going on. Depending on where you are in Fort Lauderdale’s urban core you will see varying degrees of this.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 32,698 times
wow that was alot too take in.. to each's own, I just mored into a beautiful aapartment for way less that what i would have paid in new york. I found a great church and I have the support of my friends and family.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Wild Style,
That really stinks about your neighbors. I think we got lucky and found a great neighborhood. It is a hit or miss kind of thing. It is very kid friendly around here and I think that helps too. Btw, the browines and wine were great!
As for the crime, that is some scary stuff you are saying. I have only been back here for 6 months. (lived in Plantation when I was little)
The stuff that happens at Sawgrass Mills is hitting too close to home for me. I try and stay alert when I am out and about. A friend of mine was an eye witness to the shooting by police 2 weeks ago on University Blvd. Happened right in front of her work place. From what I know, Weston has been spared of the hard core crime. I hope it stays that way.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Tankev what development do you live in? I believe you live in Weston right? I think the neighbor thing also depends on what type of neighbor you are. i think if you have kids things tend to be a little easier, because kids have a way of breaking the ice for you. I'm the type of neighbor who would take cookies and wine to a new neighbor and I am born and raised in NYC. i agree with you tankev that most of the places that I am looking at are not a high crime area and I know this because I have gotten the crime index reports from the locals police. did you guys know that you could obtain that information and it is free. I was at an apartment complex in coral springs and the gentlemen showing us around told me to get the info from the local police and sure enough they give it. I just need the job and i'm set to go.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM

78 posts, read 410,085 times
Default Response to NewToSfla

Hey! I gotta agree with you - Fort Lauderdale (and most of South Florida for that matter) is really just a mess anymore. Too many people in a hurry to go absolutely nowhere FAST! Just watch the drag race when people rush to the next red light (on Federal Highway). What a pain - it is usually the jerks in their high-end Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, etc., who are such idiots. Anyway, I digress.... I am trying desparately to get out of here too - I used to live in Northern Virginia and even though the traffic is a bear up there, it is SOOO much nicer than here. At least you can drive and get away from everyone and you can see hills and trees (other than palm trees). You are doing the right thing in trying to move back. I have decided to move to the Denver area because it is so nice and beautiful out there - believe it or not, they have as much sunshine during the year as Miami and I really miss the seasons. Not to mention the breathtaking scenery. It will be a good thing when I finally leave. South Florida will not get any better and with the numbers of non-English speaking people growing, I feel like a foreigner in my own country. Not a good thing. Anyway, I am sure you will be doing yourself a great favor in leaving. Don't forget if you go back to DC, you should be able to get a job with the Federal government - they are always hiring and if you are persistent, you can land a pretty good job. Check out the Army and other military positions. Particularly in the Fort Belvoir, VA area. Lots of expansion going on there. Good luck!!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Wild Style,
That really stinks about your neighbors. I think we got lucky and found a great neighborhood. It is a hit or miss kind of thing. It is very kid friendly around here and I think that helps too. Btw, the browines and wine were great!
As for the crime, that is some scary stuff you are saying. I have only been back here for 6 months. (lived in Plantation when I was little)
The stuff that happens at Sawgrass Mills is hitting too close to home for me. I try and stay alert when I am out and about. A friend of mine was an eye witness to the shooting by police 2 weeks ago on University Blvd. Happened right in front of her work place. From what I know, Weston has been spared of the hard core crime. I hope it stays that way.
Kid friendly has little to nothing to do with it to be honest. I have a son and the areas we lived in had parks and ALL of my neighbors on all sides of us had kids. In the areas I mentioned kids didn't come out to play much for some reason. When we took our son to one of the two parks in the last area we lived in, he found kids to play with. Now, we did have a family next to us who had a son and our kids played together once. They were friendly but there was a language barrier (they spoke spanish only). It is good your area isn't like the stuff I mentioned though.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM

I guess we have been very lucky. This is our 5th house in 14 years. 3 of which my kids have had no problem finding friends to play within steps from our front door. At the other 2 places my kids were infants and toddlers. All of our moves have had good to great neighbors, one area just took longer to meet them. I have met most of my friends because of my kids. Now that they are getting older it is getting harder for me to meet people but my kids are doing well in that area. Hopefully this will be the last move until my youngest is out of school. Then I am out of suburbia!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I agree. When the kids were small, we lived on a cul de sac of modest homes in Country Walk in Kendall. We were outside everyday watching the kids and I became very close to the parents there. We had parties all the time (was always someone's birthday), the kids ran in and out of all the houses, and the Moms went out for girl's night out. Definitely the highlight of my kids childhood, and the most memorable neighborhood experience we ever had. We never found that again - even at a larger house in Country Walk or at Weston. We left because the house was small-ish, and I was always sorry we did. A cohesive neighborhood is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area