Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm surprised nobody has caught on to my sarcasm yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeFlorida View Post
I thought compelled was being sarcastic but maybe not. Yes, ALL, I would definitely not move without a job in place n thennnn a house. so thank u all 4 commenting. florida, hispanic people: here i come.... haha. im cuban by the way.
Compelled,
As soon as you posted, I knew you were being sarcastic . I'm surprised Chelz got mad. It's normal. Reading Compelled to Reply's posts, I knew it was pure sarcasm, since many people who have complained have included hispanics one time or another. Chelz, Compelled was messing wit ya...
Don't be mad. You'll understand Compelled to Reply sooner or later. Nothing to be riled up about.

By the way, I'm going to say something hopefully without offending anyone. It's not aimed at anyone, but I have many (mostly young hispanic) colleagues that moved elsewhere and wanted to come back immediately. The idea of owning a nice house (a chance at the American Dream, a nightmare for most now ), trying something somewhere else, sometimes because others did it (some were just followers), cheaper cost of living and so forth were ideal for many.

While many are good reasons for some to move, I ask myself why not do more research? Save yourselves the money, time, hassle by travelling more to these locations more often, go during different seasons, etc.
Also realize that these places, although nice, were vacation spots for you at the time. Living somewhere you vacationed becomes a different beast once you move.

Did some not know they would have no relatives there? If family means so much to someone, why go where no relatives reside? That makes no sense to me. Like I said, ByeByeFlorida you are not the only one to make that mistake, so this is not solely aimed at you.

At this time, if you can find a way here and go through your Rolodex (Do they still make those? ) for some old contacts, to see if you can find something by all means do it. What does your hubby think about it? Make sure you find something first, orelse you'll be adding another level of frustration to the situation.

Another thing, a good friend of mine (young cuban lady) moved to Atlanta about a year and half ago, and we speak from time to time. Her family is not rich, but comfortable/upper middle down here. She complains constantly about Atlanta. Her main complaint was that it's not like Miami. Who the hell told her it was? She heard some friends and my cousin loving their lives there, and decided to move. Granted she has a nice place in the city, a decent job but does not like life in Atlanta. She's not a fan of NYC, and compares it to NY on some aspects. Guess what?

She's moving back this summer. I had to ask her, "Who on earth told you this was going to be like Miami?". What would make someone think Atlanta and Miami were the same? She hates the weather, not having everything Latin (food, entertainment, colleagues) at her disposal like Miami, not seeing many successful Latins like her (her words, not mine), and no family. It seems to be a similar thing for some Latins that move to GA, NC, SC. It has not been a rosy experience for the ones I know. This is my observation now, from actual people I know.

Point is: DO your research people!! Travel often, get a feel for the place. Look at the good and bad. No place is perfect. It's a matter of whether or not you are willing to deal with the flaws whatever place you're looking at has. Hope things work out for you, BYeBYeFlorida..Well, I should call you "HIHI FLorida" from now on...

I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
My opinion sounds slightly different than others, and I dont have as much experience with the difference in states, BUT I live in Ft. lauderdale and I hate life here. Always going, never a second to call your own. Theres hardly any lanscape left here to just enjoy. Its.. run to the store, late for work, get the kids to x,y,and z, go go go. Thats how i feel here anyways. I was raised here for the past 20 yrs of my life and i'm ready for the country life. I want acreage, horses, and freedom. I am a people person and a go-getter. But i want to be one on my own time, not everyone elses. My family is all here and i'm ready to uproot myself, and hope they follow later (as my entire family & friends hates it here). And one HUGE decision factor is my 3 year old. I refuse to live here past her 5th birthday. The schools system in south florida is lacking. The education is poor, the upbringing of the children is questionable and as you know, everything is more expensive. Education is a huge priority in my home, and with you saying you have a child, may be something to consider. The only way to get a semi-decent education here is through private school which is in upwards of $30k +. Besides missing your family, what are the other downfalls in SC? My daughter is my reason for wanting a different lifestyle.
Why is everyone so high on SC .... You would like St.Johns County south of Jacksonville near the Ponte Vedra area ... that is where we want to move in five years when our kids are in college .. nice rural , but upscale , good schools , lower cost of living , cooler winters and a beautiful spring and yes you are still in Florida ... it has southern charm and you have friendlier people ... I think the state of Florida still has great places to live that are out of South Florida ... just up the coast two hours is great ... Stuart , Palm City , Viera , Vero Beach , Melbourne all are great places for a family and much different from the stress of South Florida .

Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
But the people are so much less superficial up there! Why would you want to raise your kids around rude people, Hispanics and crime? They don't have rude people, crime, and Hispanics where your from.

*note- Can't anyone take a little dry wit??*

But seriously, think real hard before you come back down. To be honest, housing has become reasonable again, and the job market is acutally better than some other places (certainly better than anywhere in SC), but it's just a bad time in general to move. Please, please find a job before moving back down, and please, please do not buy a home yet. If you can't find anything, don't give up, but wait until better times.
Aside from being used to Compelled's posts, which make me laugh a great bit from time to time, what I put in bold should have painted the picture of sarcasm for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I know Mister - honestly, I really forgot his sense of humor. You know when you talk to people everyday, they are easier to remember, I haven't spoken to him/her in a bit so, really I just forgot. That was my bad. He forgave me so, we are done with that thank god. Listen, I happen to be a brutally honest and am often misunderstood. Without really knowing the person who is writing the message, you can see how one could misunderstand that right? I feel really bad guys - So, to Compelled I'm sorry all over again~!
It's ok Chelz, to err is human, right? No one is perfect.We all make mistakes. You're big enough to apologize, that's good too.
Once you get used to some here, you won't even need to see the smiles to see whether they're being facetious, sarcastic or serious.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 55,694 times
Well I forgot how to do the replying with quotations thingy but oh well...

MisterNY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR UR INPUT, SINCERELY! You see when we moved here I was not pregnant and therefore thought SC would be the perfect location for starting brand new with the hubby and getting house, etc. When I became pregnant, I still had high hopes. And then when I had the baby (I know this sounds so silly), I began to think of my childhood and how I was raised around so much family and really want the same for my child. So there came the thought of moving back. Now as I am watching her grow up, I really want my family to witness it too, instead of through some "emailed pictures" or "holiday vacations to florida". And like I said, it does and it doesn't matter the cost of living is higher in FL but I think it is worth moving for my child, especially to get to know her family. Don't know if I mentioned this but its hubby's small family (just 4 family members) that are here and none of mine are near except 3 family members in ATLANTA! And yes, Mister, like you mentioned about ur friend living in ATL, although things are cheaper and there are other pros to living there, if you are truly close to ur friends/family, it is just not going to work. And I guess I didn't realize how close I am to my family until I had a child. One more thing, hubby does have family in S.FL too so don't think this move would be just for me.

And to Nikki, I am well aware how different S.FL is and how materialistic but I grew up here and I am not a kid anymore that needs to feel like I have to impress someone (I have a hubby and child for god's sake!), and plus I am a coupon clipper and mega saver (boy, will I miss the double/triple coupon stores in SC) so I think for those things I will be ok. It's just the prop taxes and car insurance that may be a problem. But so long as both hubby & I can find jobs and a nice house, all is well.

FYI, I am taking a tally of how many people say its a go/no...hmmm...

Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
Moving from South Florida to a place like SC is almost like moving from Spain to China. Two completely different places with totally different lifestyles. No wonder its hard for some to adjust. The lifestyle in SC is just so much more isolated and laid back than in South FL. I personally wouldn't be able to deal with SC, just too slow paced of a lifestyle. I could see if you are a retired couple looking to get away from the traffic and live out your final days in a log cabin in the mountains, or if you enjoy hunting or hiking. But there just isn't much to do in SC and life can be very lonely. Also, they don't value good food in those parts, so you won't get much choice in the way of restaurants.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Default I vote on South Florida

I have a large family - 24 of us - sibs, kids, etc. All are here except for 1 - to me, family is the most important. You can always move again.

Then again, I like the faster pace.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,211 times
BB, move back whenever you feel it's your time to come back. You're not a newbie to the area and you'll be just fine. Seems like you're an adaptable person. I did live in SC as well for work reason and wanted to come back to S. FL everyday that I was there for the same reason as you. Family and friends make a huge difference. Since I've been back, all my family has moved to different states or back to Central FL, but I've since made more new friends with similar lifestyles and interests and I have no desire to move anywhere else. Times are tough in S. FL, but I'm guessing that it's tough everywhere else as well. Good people that are good at their job or good at anything they do will be fine anywhere they go.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 55,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
BB, move back whenever you feel it's your time to come back. You're not a newbie to the area and you'll be just fine. Seems like you're an adaptable person. I did live in SC as well for work reason and wanted to come back to S. FL everyday that I was there for the same reason as you. Family and friends make a huge difference. Since I've been back, all my family has moved to different states or back to Central FL, but I've since made more new friends with similar lifestyles and interests and I have no desire to move anywhere else. Times are tough in S. FL, but I'm guessing that it's tough everywhere else as well. Good people that are good at their job or good at anything they do will be fine anywhere they go.
Dk, thank you! I have faith that we (hubby & I) will find jobs and we made a vow anyhow that we would not move unless have a job in place (we already have a temporary housing situation in process). I think moving back HOME, to Ft. Lauderdale is the best thing for us. So what if its pricey? We know what we are getting ourselves into and can manage.

Thank u to all! I feel so much more confident and relieved about my decision! Cause it's not about $ or material things, family/friends is what counts!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,908 times
Quote:
But the people are so much less superficial up there! Why would you want to raise your kids around rude people, Hispanics and crime? They don't have rude people, crime, and Hispanics where your from.

*note- Can't anyone take a little dry wit??*

But seriously, think real hard before you come back down. To be honest, housing has become reasonable again, and the job market is acutally better than some other places (certainly better than anywhere in SC), but it's just a bad time in general to move. Please, please find a job before moving back down, and please, please do not buy a home yet. If you can't find anything, don't give up, but wait until better times.
This is incorrect. The Greenville job market (where I believe the OP is from), although not like it once was, is still better than South Florida's. You have to be very familiar with Greenville to make assumptions about the entire state of SC. Just a thought.

The only positive I see by leaving Greenville is the family issue. But as far as the quality of life, S FL doesnt come close to Greenville SC.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,908 times
"Her family is not rich, but comfortable/upper middle down here. She complains constantly about Atlanta. Her main complaint was that it's not like Miami. Who the hell told her it was?"

Sheesh... I bet the people in Atlanta are loving that, "Atlanta isnt anything like Miami, this place sucks!" HAHAHA... And the people of Atlanta are saying "it's not like Miami here? Thanks God!" LOL. I see that kind of crap a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area