Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times

Advertisements

You are absolutely right. While NYC has changed faces and such, I remember it always being the way it is now FAST. A concrete city. With the mass exodus of people leave a few years back, fleeing to Jersey and LI for nicer style apartments, NYC quickly pounced and made adjustments, but not for the better. Knocking down 2 family homes and replacing them with 4 family newer style apartments with no garage and no yard (love that :-() - the sad part is that those apartments were basically slapped up, poor insillation, poorly put together and paper thin. But here is the great thing they looked pretty. Sarcasm is my friend, can you tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 AM

That is fantastic Fauve, I'm really jealous. I lock my car when I run into the house for something, along with the door - LOL.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,884 times
It is my observation that most people are very happy there. I dont feel that way, as I bet do many others, about many parts of FL. People are not leaving Greenville, but people are in fact leaving FL. In fact, people are leaving FL for places like Greenville. That should tell us something. How many people do you know in S FL from Greenville? There are tons of people from FL in the city of Greenville.

My point is, many people, that I have met and through observation, are very happy in Greenville, and I dont feel the same way about FL.

But I will agree with Compelled about Greenville's downtown. It is the cleanest, prettiest, and friendliest of downtowns. Not one town in S FL even comes close to comparison.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
That is fantastic Fauve, I'm really jealous. I lock my car when I run into the house for something, along with the door - LOL.
Chelsa, if you move to S FL, please remember to lock your doors. I dont know anyone that leaves doors unlocked in Florida. There is a lot of theft everywhere, but especially in FL. I make sure I lock my doors to car my everynight, and I lock our doors to our house at all times, day or night. If you move to FL, I strongly recommend it as well. I think everyone else would agree.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Interesting to hear so much gloom and doom about unemployment in Florida and how there are supposed to be more jobs in the Carolinas. Latest unemployment numbers came out today:

Florida- 8.6%
North Carolina 9.7%
South Carolina 10.4%

SC had the second highest unemployment rate in the country after Michigan.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Oh, I will lock every thing - that is a habit that has now been engraved in me, I won't break that one for anyone - LOL.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Hop - I understand what your saying, however, I don't think you are being fair. It is okay to be partial to the area that you live, no one will argure that, at least not me. But what you should take into consideration is that as many people are leaving Florida, many are going. There are plenty of people that go there to make a progressive slow down, something that won't be a huge shock to the system. While I would never call SFL country, it is definitely monumentally slower than NYC, IMO, but still fast enough for me to not go through NYC withdrawals (not me personally, but in general - you know what I mean). Eventually, the climate of the area gets quicker and what was once slow and great to the natives no longer is, so they move away, perpetuatting the city like atmosphere. Eventually. those who moved down from the North want to slow down even more and they too dislike the fast paced city like atmosphere, and they move south too. Well in florida's case north - LOL. But I think you get my point.

There is no reason you can't be subjective about the place you once called home. It's okay really. I would not leave NYC and then say it is the worst place in the world to live, blah, blah, blah. It just isn't the place for me and my family and what I want for them. But it could be the perfect place for Jane Doe and her family, only she can make that decision. As only you and your family could make the decision that Greenville was better for you.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Even during the boom times and talk about a thousand people a day moving to the state, there were always people who ended up leaving for whatever reason. That figure was net population gain. Break it down, and it usually ended up being something like 2,000 new arrivals in the state every day, and 800-900 people leaving the state for elsewhere.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

The problem is, the ones that are leaving and then who they are being replaced by. We are losing a lot of good folks and long time residents of the state, who just want a better quality of life (usually). Or can no longer afford the COL, or are not willing to put up the the crime/traffic/rude people that is so often talked about, and for good reason.

My point is, I hate to see Joe, his wife and three kids who are friendly, honest, hard-working people move away and be replaced by folks that have pit bulls, play loud music all night, and dont wave back to me. And this is definitely happening in many areas of FL, especially where I currently live. I see it all the time.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM

I thought you lived in Greenville? Where in Florida do you live. I think what you are saying is fair, but as I stated before, people can't assume that because the license plate on their neighbors car is from up north some where they are jerks. That attitude begets that behavior. I know I'm not going to be nice to anyone who is not nice to me. You shouldn't assume that anyone who has a pitbull is the next Michael Vick. I had 3 pitbulls in my life. I happen to love the breed, but I have never ever mistreated them or anything else inappropriate. STOP, LOOK & LISTEN to the person next to you and you might like what you see and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area