Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM

20 posts, read 55,750 times

Advertisements

Yep, you heard it right! I am a Floridian and moved to Upstate South Carolina almost 2 yrs ago and now want to move back! I had a baby out here and have hardly any family here and really want my child to be raised around a lot of family (in Florida). We actually moved here moneywise as cost of living is considerably lower but I am willing to sacrifice that as I am not at all happy in SC. We will move back to FL looking for a house and also emergency fund if no job. I am in the accounting field and am optimistic about landing a job. So does everyone think its a good idea to move? .

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
you know better than most as you have already lived there, but oof you are going to get bombarded with reasons not to go back. This should be interesting. I'm moving to Florida same area for the same reasons, family. Ours is small so, it is even more important to stay together.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM

20 posts, read 55,750 times
Yes, our family is small too and this is the first grandchild. So it is an amazing experience for all, and that is why I can not stand living in SC anymore. It seems so silly to move back (to go through DMV nonsense, change of addresses, rent moving truck, etc.) but my heart seems to be in FL. SC is beautiful and VERY affordable but most people here have family and we dont. I guess I am looking for advice on the job market and foreclosure housing status as that is what we are aiming for.

Help?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM

I think the job market is bad - however, I will say this if you pound the pavement so to speak you will find something. Housing - don't know, I think it is fluctuating. I hope it goes down more! Better for me!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,884 times
For family, I could see the reason for the move. But other than that, as far as quality of life, crime, traffic, etc.. I cant see a reason to leave upstate SC (especially if you were in Greenville) for S Florida. But for family, especially if you feel all alone, nobody can blame you for leaving a better place and coming back to South FL.

Now, if you said you cant take the rude people or the crime in Greenville, I'd be shaking my head! But for family, I think it's a good reason. The better scenario, get your folks to move up there to be around you guys, and get the best of both worlds!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,751 times
Finding a good job might take a little longer unless you can network with folk at your old jobs, peer etc... As for housing is concerned there are TONS of foreclosures out there and prices are back 200-2002 level... more discounts on condos than single family though.. I totally agree with your situation of moving back to get closer to family...... I know moving is tough but I think you will manage it just fine.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 AM

That was really nice and positive rkumar3. I did not receive as warm a welcome when I spoke about my decision to move to SFL. I was told it might take a year to get a job etc., very discouraging. Nice to know that it still is possible.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeFlorida View Post
Yep, you heard it right! I am a Floridian and moved to Upstate South Carolina almost 2 yrs ago and now want to move back! I had a baby out here and have hardly any family here and really want my child to be raised around a lot of family (in Florida). We actually moved here moneywise as cost of living is considerably lower but I am willing to sacrifice that as I am not at all happy in SC. We will move back to FL looking for a house and also emergency fund if no job. I am in the accounting field and am optimistic about landing a job. So does everyone think its a good idea to move? .

Please advise.
You would be surprised how many people I know that have moved back to Florida after bolting for NC , SC, GA & TN .... I guess the grass is not always greener on the other side . In South Florida where you live can make all the difference in the world ... most people that I know in the western suburbs of Palm Beach and Broward County are generally happy .. most people I know in other areas of these counties and in Miami Dade are not ... choose carefully .

Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I think the job market is bad - however, I will say this if you pound the pavement so to speak you will find something. Housing - don't know, I think it is fluctuating. I hope it goes down more! Better for me!
The job market in the Carolinas is bad as well ... Charlotte has been particularly hard hit with the banking crisis ... also home prices in South Florida hav dropped considerably in the last two years .

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks Rock - I'm hoping for my sake I get that job and am able to get into that house I so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area