Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 PM

242 posts, read 735,241 times

Advertisements

So.... Been looking for a safe non-foreclosure for 4 months. Finally found one last month.

Moving from deerfield beach. Due to work I can only move today (wednesday the 18th) and thursday.

Got the truck, a storage bin, and all packed up.

The storage facility has about a 20 foot walk to the front door, no over hang, but it has dollies.

The new home does not have a garage or carport, but the old one has a garage.

So...ready to move......all set...hired helpers.

Has not rained in like 8 months....

MONSOON today...and tomorrow...and tonight....

Fricking MONSOON!!!!!! Power even went out.

Most of my stuff is books and paperwork and computer stuff.....cannot get two feet without getting drenched.

Wanna carry a huge heavy piece of furniture on wet surfaces...? In a hard to see out of poncho? Why moving fast? Why it is getting drenched.

cable and phone guy had to reschedule...neither til freaking tuesday now....

WTF!!!!

Got absolutely no where today and tonight it continues. Tomorrow 80% chance of monsoon... We think we will have to do it all thursday night when it lets up.....and then work friday morn with no sleep..

truck company does not give rain checks on cost either...

Priobably won't rain for another 8 months after tomorrow either.

Oh yea, friday it will be sunny and no showers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
Ouch..

Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
AWWW - get those things you cover the floor with when painting - it is like a tarp, but not as thick. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 PM

update on the crazy move from H#ll.

Direct TV...

Ordered, the guy came out at 10am.
New guy, took 3 hours just to put up the dish.
2 hours after that and realizes there is some missing pieces needed.
2 hours there and back for a trip to the office in rush hour taffic.
Gets back and finds the settings were wrong and the extra pieces were not needed.

So....tuesday got the TV working finally, after about a 10 hour installation.

AT&T

Ordered the transfer last week, said they would send someone out tuesday (same day as direct TV) to connect the line up. Said they had to send someone out. 8am-12.

Sounds great.

12 comes and no ATT guy. I call and they say it is never 8-12, only 8 to 6. So I wait til 6, no one comes. I call up. They then say that no one is designated to come out and they are just gonna turn it on. If not on I should wait til midnight and then call repair.

Nothing comes on, no service. I call repair and they set up a 8-10 to send someone out. Customer service was called to and they say that whoever told me someone had to come out was messed up and was a mistake.

Next morning..11am, no one comes out. I call repair again. They say ticket was sent wrong and no one is coming. They do another ticket.

1pm I get a call. Guy from ATT. He has no info other than my cell number and asks what is wrong.
He comes out and attaches the line in the community and then finds the line going to the house is cut somewhere underground.

He says they should have known that when I ordered it and should have sent someone out..

!!!!!!!

Now I have to wait anywhere from a few hours to a few days to have them come out and dig the line up to see where it is cut.

I put in a call to comcast for phone and internet, so if ATT does not get it done by friday morning, they lose me.

2 days of being told by the service reps that I am basically nuts only to find out I was 100% right and still without a line.

sigh......

sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
This is why I try to move as little as possible... MOVING SUCKS!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Direct TV, the saga continues.

On my original call, it was vague as to the final amount of my monthly bill before and after rebates...or how they would be applied.
I called a few times even during the install and they could never tell me what the bill would be....not even an estimate.

Subsequent calls to Direct tv ended with 'will send you an email detailing it all'.

During install I was told that I would find out online with my first statement after activation. And I would have 24 hours to cancel service.

Could log on last night, but no bills...still 'processing'.

Finally tonight, about 30 hours after activation I found my bill posted, with a 13 dollar fee added as a 'tax' of some kind.

Luckily, the guy took til 9pm to finalize the install so I used that against them in my 1 hour phone battle.

This fee was out of the blue and purposely hidden...a 13.42 fee on a 84.00 bill....
When I said come and get the unit, they said it is past 24 hours...I informed them about the install and they were like...um..uh....

I said take this junk off my house professionally and plug any holes up.
After a long battle they ended up knocking 10 bucks a month off of the fee for the first 12 months....whoo hoo.

ANd the 'big rebate' does not kick in for 3 to 4 months, so the bill was to be 84 bucks and not the 50 the guy promised...

So I made them make it active NOW...for 12 months.

Funny, that 3 to 4 months, cause that is when the 'free hbo/sho/movie package would end'...and unless I called I would be billed anyway.

So, they sucker you into a 'deal' where you get a 20 dollar a month savings...and then add 14 dollars to your bill for some joke 'tax' they claim is part of florida.

Then you have to go online and do your rebate (really quick) or you lose it. Then when the rebate finally clicks in (after months of not getting a rebate) your 'free packages' automatically charge you...and by the time you realize it you are still paying the higher price until you cancel the stuff.

Complete BS from top to bottom. This is the same stuff you get from comcast, ATT, sprint, etc... no different. Designed to get you coming and going and nickel and dime you.

So....after battling, I got my rebates active at once, for 12 months.
10 bucks off the bill for 12 months (so they say..we'll see).
and have the sho/hbo/movie packages removed automatically when the time is up..

final bill for 12 months...supposedly....about 48 bucks...

that is, until I get the bill that shows they never fixed any of it....

as a last minute note, the room where I am going to buy a DVR and told the rep and the installer I was gonna buy a DVR, never ran two lines into the room. Only one. Which means to add the DVR, I need to run a second line into the room from outside.... just shoot me.

Update on ATT...

They came out again today... a different person, same thing..."hey, your line is cut 111 feet from the box'... I gotta call a crew in.

ugh. By 230pm they had three guys out there and the lady who called them. The lady held the umbrella, another guy supervised the digger, and a third guy stood guard in the shadow of a tree while they looked for a way to connect my line.

At 430pm they disappeared. I had service (dsl) but not a good phone line (loud noise)... and what they ended up doing was taking a phone line, attach it to my house, and then run it through the yards of two other homes to get to the corner where the hole was dug. Then they connected it. So now there is about 120 feet of phone cable running from my house through my neighbors to a hole in the ground...

LOL...probalby think I am stealing phone or cable...LOL

Hopefully they will come out tomorrow and put it underground before a lawn guy comes...

Oh man......

Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 AM

okay..so ATT finally got it up and running tuesday.

DSL was great.

This morning.....DSL is down..

They need to send someone out again.

Do not get ATT unless you really need it...or the service in your area has no problems...

dang it

Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM

okay, for no reason whatsoever I am gonna continue this posting until I get dsl and phone service.

today ATT sent out a 'contech' support guy to get my dsl working.

He spent about 10 minutes in the house checking the modem and the lines/jacks even though I told him they were all okay.

He went outside, opened his laptop, called the company, asked some questions and then put everything away. I said fixed? He said I have to call billing and left.

I called billing and they said I was fine. There was no reason for me to call them. I called DSL and asked what happened and they said it looks like the guy came up with a problem he could not fix and they would have to send an ATT tech out the next day.

Which means they will send the wrong one out and then have to resend a contech....jesus.

I called comcast.

this is what they offered me.....a week from friday....jesus

phone 1 36 a month (loaded) for a year, 46 a month afterwards
phone 2 local and long distance, 10 a month
internet 23 a month for a year, 36 afterwards.

50 installation and first month due up front with installer.

Friday...next friday...

What I have learned so far is no matter which service you choose, it will either work really well at your residence or it will be spotty (or worse). At that point you need to use a different service as it will never be any good at that residence.

I think I may look into high speed wireless for the house as a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area