Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,118 times

Advertisements

I am coming for a two and a half day quick getaway from Baltimore next week. I have been to Ft. Lauderdale but it was years ago and also a quick trip.

I am 40, but bringing my 70 year old mother, so I am trying to find a location that both will enjoy, but economically as well. The rates for places to stay all seem to be in $80-100 range for a 3 star hotel/motel.

Given the time restraint, I am thinking no rental car, that we can walk or use the water taxi in Ft. Lauderdale or the trolley in Hollywood.

Both areas seem appealing for different reasons - canal system in Ft. Lauderdale would be awesome photography and they have some 2for1 deals on river cruises, etc. I also hear Las Olas Blvd is great, although I have no money to shop this trip.

Hollywood seems neat with the broadwalk - is this area less expensive or are they comparable.

Both look to have nice beaches, although since Mom can't swim, we probably won't spend as much time there as I would if traveling with a friend.

Is there transportation other than cabs that can run from Hollywood to Ft. Lauderdale to see both???

Any feedback and suggestions on areas and things to do would be great!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Hollywood is definitely less expensive. It has some quirky characters - those people who came here for vacation and stayed, have been there 30 years and have been in the sun way too long and those that go to the bars everyday. Kind of a Venice Beach of the east. Fort Lauderdale is definitely more upscale and adult. It will be more a matter of what suits your personalities. I personally like Hollywood because I find the barfly, low-life element entertaining Also you will hear Hollywood is more dangerous. I guess it kind of goes with the territory. I do believe Hollywood will be on a steady track up once the economy improves and before long the losers will be priced out. That will be a sad day!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,118 times
Thank you Fauve!!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
TK>

You can visit both easily by taking a cab. A cab ride from Las Olas to East Hollywood or Hollywood Beach would run about 40 bucks each direction I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area