Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times

Advertisements

Hello Floridians -- I read in another thread that homelessness and unemployment is well above the national average than in other cities in the U.S. My step-son is moving to Hollywood area soon and will be looking for a job and staying in an extended-stay hotel until he gets works and is able to get an apartment. Can someone let me know what the situation is really like in that area of Florida? I have been trying to convince him to go elsewhere because of the unemployment rate there. Perhaps I have it all wrong---but wanted to ask you folks since you live there. Thanks in advance for any insights or info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
I moved here this summer. At that time, the unemployment rate was higher than where I was living (Upstate NY). I looked for a job online before I moved. It didn't take me too long to find one though this will depend on the industry he is in and what cities you are comparing. Do some industry-specific research to get an idea how hard it will be to find a job. I would definitely recommend having a job before moving or at least having several interviews set up.

As far as homelessness, I notice it a lot more here but that may be because it is warm so people are out and my previous city was much smaller. I really only see homeless people when I am getting off I95 after work. They wait for the rush hour traffic and have cardboard signs hoping for a contribution. No one has been aggressive or knocked on the window or bothered me. Again, this will depend on the area you live in and there are a lot of helpful threads comparing various neighborhoods in this forum.

I am glad I made the move. The weather is much better and there is a lot more to do here. But again, I would strongly recommend getting a job first before moving. My coworkers were a great help to me getting settled. HTH

Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
The current UE rate in Broward County is 7.1%, over a half-point lower than the national rate. As for homelessness, you will see more of it in any warm weather city, regardless of the local economy.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM

73 posts, read 194,599 times
HUGE problem, especially near Las Olas, and they are very agressive !!!! I saw one Dude pull a knife on some old lady after the woman said NO to beer money. Craziest thing I ever saw !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Homelessness is a major problem here, but that should not dissuade your relative from moving here as long as he has a good job lined up. I emphasize that he must have a good job lined up. Moving to Fort Lauderdale without a job is financial suicide and he may very well end up a bum on the street if he does that.

As far as job searching, it really depends which field your relative is looking to work in. I would not recommend service industry jobs because the pay is really low here. Our cost of living is really high. Health Care, Insurance, doctors, lawyers, are some professions where he will do fine here.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I appreciate the input. We have been trying to convince him not to go just yet as he certainly has no job lined up. He has a decent resume and work history (plus a university degree). After quitting his long-term job in the UK and emigrating & moving here---he's been looking for a job in the US for two years. The gap in employment is widening and the longer it goes on, the harder it will be, IMO. But he's bound and determined to do it anyway. He has a considerable amount saved, so I don't expect he'll end up on the streets---but staying in an extended-stay hotel will get pretty expensive if he doesn't begin to have money coming in fairly soon after arrival. He hates the midwest winters and just wants to get somewhere warmer. I guess it's the weather and beaches that draw people fo Florida---ah well....

Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM

222 posts, read 382,789 times
Another suggestion if he has his heart set on it - if he can delay the move until April, he may have better housing options. Most snowbirds head north after Easter and there are many more vacation rentals available by the week or month during the late spring/summer/early fall - they would almost definitely be more affordable than any hotel and a lot accept credit cards. VRBO and AirBnB are great sites for those.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Can you tell us what field or work he is in? Or looking in?

It would be a big mistake to move here without a job, unless he has enough cash saved up to support himself without any income for at least 1 year. I would say he'll need at least $25K to get by just in case he cannot find a job. And that is bare minimum. That is assuming he is frugal with his money and doesn't blow it at bars and restaurants.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butercup View Post
Another suggestion if he has his heart set on it - if he can delay the move until April, he may have better housing options. Most snowbirds head north after Easter and there are many more vacation rentals available by the week or month during the late spring/summer/early fall - they would almost definitely be more affordable than any hotel and a lot accept credit cards. VRBO and AirBnB are great sites for those.
Great suggestion, thank you. I'll be sure to tell him this.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Can you tell us what field or work he is in? Or looking in?

It would be a big mistake to move here without a job, unless he has enough cash saved up to support himself without any income for at least 1 year. I would say he'll need at least $25K to get by just in case he cannot find a job. And that is bare minimum. That is assuming he is frugal with his money and doesn't blow it at bars and restaurants.
He's been in higher education administration for many years (admissions, financial office, etc.). He is the most frugal person I know. He never blows money on bars and restaurants, or new clothes, etc. He is a bit of an electronics fan---but he has a newish laptop and won't probably be wanting a new one anytime soon. I really have no idea how much money he's got stashed away. But he has been living in the US for two years without a job. Mind you, he's been living rent free (with us) and only paying for his food and personal hygiene items. It will be quite different down there---with having to pay for accommodations and such. He's not a kid---he's over 35 years old but has led a somewhat sheltered life (IMO). Perhaps this is his time to spread the wings.... and live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area