Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times

Advertisements

You don't see a lot of homeless, you don't see people sleeping on the streets at night on park benches or in front of businesses. You see a lot of people begging for money on the on ramps with traffic lights to get on I-95. They know not to bother anyone for the most part because if they cause trouble their gig is up I don't see people giving them money usually, but obviously some do or they wouldn't be there all day. They don't look dirty like you would expect from a homeless person. I think they are just people looking to score drug money or to get some cash without working and are not really homeless,

But the job situation is really bad and there is so much competition for work that employers can pay minimum wage or close to it. I would not tell anyone to move here if they don't have at least 6 months living expenses including renting at least a studio apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
You don't see a lot of homeless, you don't see people sleeping on the streets at night on park benches or in front of businesses. You see a lot of people begging for money on the on ramps with traffic lights to get on I-95. They know not to bother anyone for the most part because if they cause trouble their gig is up I don't see people giving them money usually, but obviously some do or they wouldn't be there all day. They don't look dirty like you would expect from a homeless person. I think they are just people looking to score drug money or to get some cash without working and are not really homeless,

But the job situation is really bad and there is so much competition for work that employers can pay minimum wage or close to it. I would not tell anyone to move here if they don't have at least 6 months living expenses including renting at least a studio apartment.
Thanks for the extra info. I will pass it on!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
You can look on Indeed.com and other employment websites and see what jobs are available and what they pay.
I agree with the other poster who suggested he wait until the spring.
Also, to rent an apartment, there will be many deposits he'll have to pay just to get the unit, electric...registering his car...you can also call ahead to find out how the move will effect his car insurance rates.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You can look on Indeed.com and other employment websites and see what jobs are available and what they pay.
I agree with the other poster who suggested he wait until the spring.
Also, to rent an apartment, there will be many deposits he'll have to pay just to get the unit, electric...registering his car...you can also call ahead to find out how the move will effect his car insurance rates.
Thanks... does not own a car, so not a factor.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
He'll need a car down here. I would definitely budget for that. It cost me about $300 to register the car in FL, get FL plates and switch my license. You also need car insurance and I would recommend adding on renter's insurance.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM

He will definitely need a car.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I appreciate the input. We have been trying to convince him not to go just yet as he certainly has no job lined up. He has a decent resume and work history (plus a university degree). After quitting his long-term job in the UK and emigrating & moving here---he's been looking for a job in the US for two years. The gap in employment is widening and the longer it goes on, the harder it will be, IMO. But he's bound and determined to do it anyway. He has a considerable amount saved, so I don't expect he'll end up on the streets---but staying in an extended-stay hotel will get pretty expensive if he doesn't begin to have money coming in fairly soon after arrival. He hates the midwest winters and just wants to get somewhere warmer. I guess it's the weather and beaches that draw people fo Florida---ah well....

I'm not from the area so I can't comment. But if he is looking at staying in an extended stay hotel, search for coupons. I've found coupons good for 10% off. also, if he stays more than 30 consecutive days, they don't charge sales tax. That can add up!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Based on everything you've told us, I think it would be a terrible mistake for him to move here. He has no job, no car, a 2 year unemployment gap, and not enough cash saved up. He is going to need a car here and we have some of the highest insurance rates in the nation. He has experience in the education industry and our education system here is low paying and not many jobs.

You also mentioned he is frugal. Can you remind me again why he wants to move here so badly? This isn't an area someone frugal would want to live. Just my opinion.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
He cannot move here if he does not have a car. It just isn't realistic to live in Broward county without a car.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
He cannot move here if he does not have a car. It just isn't realistic to live in Broward county without a car.
Absolutely needs a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area