Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,081,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I really do and Ive lived in Davie, Weston & Pembroke Pines. It just has more character, trees, and really nice people - which I think Im the most surprised about - maybe becoz it's older - my neighbors have been here on average 15 years which is ancient in South Florida (Jacaranda was built in the late 70's, early 80's). It's also ridiculously convenient - Sawgrass Millls, Broward Mall, a Target up the street, a bazillion restaurants - not all chains, tho they're there too, plus, Las Olas & beach doable for dinner, etc. It's also very middle class and not pretentious in the least.
I guess we can debate this point all day .... I do like Plantation , but in that case if character , trees and nice people are key ... I would take Cooper City over Plantation . You are correct though in that at least in location and convenience Plantation is excellent .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
How do you figure the schools in Weston ... stink ... my girls went to school in Weston thru the end of middle school and part of high school ... they are now at MSD in Parkland and frankly the schools in Weston were better .. they had excellent programs at Cypress Bay and many of their older friends have gone on to excellent colleges in Florida and yes ... even in the North East
I do not care for the minimal curriculum that the state of FL has to offer its high school students. This is true no matter where they go in FL. The FCAT/Sunshine State Standards curriculum is minimal and overly focused on getting everyone to pass the stupid test.

I don't think it's a Parkland over Weston issue, it's a FL statewide issue. I am not happy with the public schools here. My kids attend public through 5th grade.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I guess to each his own .... I would never recommend Plantation over Weston .... not that Plantation is not nice ... it is but I think Weston is superior hands down .. more upscale , cleaner , safer .. again just my opinion .
I live in Weston, but I also like Plantation. I find that nearly everything I want to do is in Fort Lauderdale and Plantation is closer and more convenient. I also find that when I shop I have to go to Plantation anyway so it would be convenient to live there. The neighborhoods that I like in Plantation are more upscale than where I currently live in Weston.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,396 times
I live in West Miramar. Does anyone have any information regarding pembroke pines preshool west campus. I could not find any post on their ratings. Help Trying to find the BEST preschool for my 1 year old son.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not care for the minimal curriculum that the state of FL has to offer its high school students. This is true no matter where they go in FL. The FCAT/Sunshine State Standards curriculum is minimal and overly focused on getting everyone to pass the stupid test.

I don't think it's a Parkland over Weston issue, it's a FL statewide issue. I am not happy with the public schools here. My kids attend public through 5th grade.
Now I agree with you ..yes in general Florida schools are not that great .

Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,506 times
Quote:
I guess we can debate this point all day .... I do like Plantation , but in that case if character , trees and nice people are key ... I would take Cooper City over Plantation . You are correct though in that at least in location and convenience Plantation is excellent .

Cooper City is nice, but I haven't lived there. Maybe I would like it as much as Plantation. I was just speaking of Davie, Weston, & Pembroke Pines - where I HAVE lived, and found Plantation better in this regard. I find it significant that someone else who also has lived in both Plantation and Weston also finds Plantation a great place to live. Get back to me when you've lived in Plantation.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,383,523 times
I heard they closed one of the big malls on University Dr. in Plantation a couple of years ago. Has it been replaced with anything?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ertail,
There is lots of info about each of these cities on www.city-data.com (not forum). Also, on the city-data/forum you can search each of these areas and decide for yourself. www.greatschools.net may be able to provide some insight into the schools. No matter what anyone says, Spanish is a big deal in So.FL. Either hearing it doesn't bother you at all or it drives you crazy.

I see you will be renting, but if you plan to buy, consider these statements: Even though there is no income tax in FL, homeowners' insurance costs are through the roof. Call your agent first if you plan to buy. Property taxes are way up there, too, depending upon where you come from (if you are from the NE, they may seem low). LEARN before you move to So. FL.
You do not need to know Spanish to live in most of South Florida .... with Miami Dade being the exception . You seem to have real issues with this as you have brought it up in two posts and if hearing it drives you crazy then you would not be able to live in Texas , California , Arizona , Nevada , New Jersey or New York either . I agree with you about insurance and property taxes they are absurd down here .

Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Cooper City is nice, but I haven't lived there. Maybe I would like it as much as Plantation. I was just speaking of Davie, Weston, & Pembroke Pines - where I HAVE lived, and found Plantation better in this regard. I find it significant that someone else who also has lived in both Plantation and Weston also finds Plantation a great place to live. Get back to me when you've lived in Plantation.
I rented in Jacaranda for five months when we originally moved here from NYC with my family fifteen years ago , have friends in Plantation , frequent the new Mid Town area and the Whole Foods on University .. yes Plantation is nice ... west of University . I simply think Weston is nicer that is all and if you want to discuss nice people ... you cannot beat Cooper City . As I will not be living in Plantation any time soon ( happy in Parkland ) .. I thought I would respond ... again Plantation is nice don't get me wrong .. I just think Weston and even Cooper City offer more .

Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
I rented in Jacaranda for five months when we originally moved here from NYC with my family fifteen years ago , have friends in Plantation , frequent the new Mid Town area and the Whole Foods on University .. yes Plantation is nice ... west of University . I simply think Weston is nicer that is all and if you want to discuss nice people ... you cannot beat Cooper City . As I will not be living in Plantation any time soon ( happy in Parkland ) .. I thought I would respond ... again Plantation is nice don't get me wrong .. I just think Weston and even Cooper City offer more .
What is is about Cooper City that people like? I don't care for CC. I like Weston, Parkland, Davie (west), and Plantation as far as the suburbs go and I cannot figure out what makes people like CC. I don't care for Pembroke Pines either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area