Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times

Advertisements

When I think of cities bigger than what we have here in CT (at least I assume they are bigger), I get freaked out about trying to drive around them.

New Haven is a total nightmare for me to drive in, and Hartford right behind it. IMO, that is. I KNOW there are much much worse cities to drive in, but I've luckily never had to drive in them.

So my question is, how is it to drive around Ft. Lauderdale (not necessarily right downtown), or cities right outside it? For some reason, I envision them as horrid at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
Entire place is on a grid system. Easy as pie. Streets go E & W. Avenues go N & S. As soon as you learn where E & W & N & S divide, all you'll need is an address and you can get to where you're going, though you'll have to figure out how the waterways tie in to all that.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM

The waterways tie in?

Gah, I will somehow figure it all out. I can honestly say I've never driven in FL. Either my father does ,or my ex did, or when I visit my aunt, they do.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
The roads are fine - the signage is good - the problem is the insane and reckless drivers - dont assume any of the rules of the road apply. Visiting this weekend I have seen everything from people crossing 5 lines to get off a ramp; weve been cut off a ton - its just insane.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
The roads are fine - the signage is good - the problem is the insane and reckless drivers - dont assume any of the rules of the road apply. Visiting this weekend I have seen everything from people crossing 5 lines to get off a ramp; weve been cut off a ton - its just insane.

Oh, I'm used to that. We have our fair share of people who make up their own rules here. Traffic lights, traffic signs? Those weren't made for these people, niether were speed limits. I have honestly never seen people as rude as I have here. Even the times I've been in NYC. So insane/reckless will never shock me. I just make sure to be careful around them

Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
I agree the problem is with the drivers.

We have seniors driving less than the speed limit on left lanes.
We have hot headed teenagers driving speed limit + 30 miles on right lanes.

It gets worse as you get closer to Miami/Dade area.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
The roads are among the most drivable anywhere, while the drivers are among the worst anywhere. Most major streets are on a grid system, and are six wide lanes across with ample turning lanes, speed limits in the 45 range, and a small landscaped median. Signage is excellent with illuminated street-name signs at many intersections. The highways are multi-lane, speed limits around 65-70, and nicely designed with large merge lanes, although construction is about to begin on I-595. I would say the worst issue with the roads themselves is the synchronization of the traffic lights, which is horrible on most streets. The drivers, though, are atrocious. I don't really think speeding is a big issue, but you have a blend of a lot of selfish and obnoxiously slow drivers and the people who cut in and out of traffic (without signaling or checking their blind spot) to get around them. Red light running is common too, probably because of the bad synchronization issue, although you can expect to tap your horn a lot at motorists who fall asleep at the green lights.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,844 times
Another +1 for the grid system. It's really easy once you get your North South and East West roads down. 95 is pretty simple, just avoid it during rush hour if at all possible! (7-9a and 4-6p)

You'll be fine.. and if youre afraid of the highways, you can just drive on all the regular roads instead until you feel more comfortable.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM

Not that I'd wanna be stuck in traffic, but I'm more "afraid" of traffic on side roads/downtown than highways.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Rush hour traffic on 95 really isn't that bad. If there are accidents, it can suck, otherwise it moves full speed at rush hour. 595, on the other hand, should ALWAYS be avoided at those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area