Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times

Advertisements

Okay, so like Im really surprised.

There we were on University Dr - between a stop at Kohl's to buy socks (we got a $10 promotional gift card in the mail) and another at Home Depot for air filters (turned on the a/c for the first time this season today - which just as an aside may be the latest in the year ever - in fact, I dont think it ever was turned off longer than a week at a time last year - anyway, it was time). I wanted meat, because about 2 weeks ago we decided we were going to become vegans. I was jones'ing like mad. I didn't want to spring for Long Horn Steakhouse, so that left a choice between Lefty's, Davie Ale & Flanigan's - they were all lined up in a row. Taking this thread as a sign, we pulled into Flanigan's.

After waiting about a minute for a table to be cleared we were seated inside at a booth - booths being really the only seating I noticed inside. We were there at around 8pm, so too early for their 9pm til close 50% off happy hour. Nonetheless, I decided Id just roll with it and let myself be inspired by the drink menu - a chocolate raspberry martini concoction (it has a -tini name I cant think of - should have taken notes...). In no time at all, there it was, looking delightful and tasted divine, truly. I order the prime rib (a third less than it would have run at Long Horn), RARE, and my husband, the Flanigan burger.

Well, 1st round of drinks were completed before the meal arrived and we put in our follow-up orders promptly. DH stuck with the beer; I moved over to a mudslide (there was a $1 off Stoli special). Our food arrived before the drinks and it was discouraging that this was the point the server came back to ask me if I wanted my mudslide frozen or on ice, but just mumbled ice and said Id like some water.

The prime rib was in a word: Perfect. Cooked exactly as ordered, tender, served with a creamy horseradish sauce with a side of broccoli, and no less than an inch thick and massive enough to cover the plate from end to end. Sooooooo good.

My water arrived shortly with the water which was a good thing as the horseradish sauce had a bite. No complaints from hubby re burger. The mudslide showed up a few minutes later in a 16 oz glass with chocolate drippings rimming the interior of the glass (mudslides have chocolate? I never realized this before). The server said the bartender had said it was going to be worth the wait and she/he was right. The mudslide put the -tini drink to shame - even with that chocolate sugar rimmed glass... Here I go again: Sooooooo good.

At this point I had already started writing this post in my head because everything was exceeding my expectations beyond what I thought a Flanigan's was capable of. I totally inhaled the prime rib, was amazed by the crispy cold fresh cole slaw, and just so I could report back - confirmed that the broccoli lived up to everything else. I glanced over at my husband's plate and every last bit of burger and french fry was gone.

Finally, as if anything couldnt get better (and I expressed as much to a manager who wandered by and inquired if all was satisfactory), my husband asked if our second drinks had been ordered in their Happy Hour window. Why, yes, they had! My sublime Mudslide was a whopping $2.24! When I expressed my amazement, she said the most expensive happy hour drink you could order - a top shelf LI Iced Tea was only $3.99....and it may be the first happy hour Ive tried that wasn't 2 for 1. Having just 1 drink was fine.

The bill came in after 2 rounds of drinks, a steak dinner & a burger at an eye-blinking, double-checking the check amount. Did they really charge us for everything?

We'll be back, I'm sure..

Last edited by fauve; 04-24-2010 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Okay, so like Im really surprised.

There we were on University Dr - between a stop at Kohl's to buy socks (we got a $10 promotional gift card in the mail) and another at Home Depot for air filters (turned on the a/c for the first time this season today - which just as an aside may be the latest in the year ever - in fact, I dont think it ever was turned off longer than a week at a time last year - anyway, it was time). I wanted meat, because about 2 weeks ago we decided we were going to become vegans. I was jones'ing like mad. I didn't want to spring for Long Horn Steakhouse, so that left a choice between Lefty's, Davie Ale & Flanigan's - they were all lined up in a row. Taking this thread as a sign, we pulled into Flanigan's.

After waiting about a minute for a table to be cleared we were seated inside at a booth - booths being really the only seating I noticed inside. We were there at around 8pm, so too early for their 9pm til close 50% off happy hour. Nonetheless, I decided Id just roll with it and let myself be inspired by the drink menu - a chocolate raspberry martini concoction (it has a -tini name I cant think of - should have taken notes...). In no time at all, there it was, looking delightful and tasted divine, truly. I order the prime rib (a third less than it would have run at Long Horn), RARE, and my husband, the Flanigan burger.

Well, 1st round of drinks were completed before the meal arrived and we put in our follow-up orders promptly. DH stuck with the beer; I moved over to a mudslide (there was a $1 off Stoli special). Our food arrived before the drinks and it was discouraging that this was the point the server came back to ask me if I wanted my mudslide frozen or on ice, but just mumbled ice and said Id like some water.

The prime rib was in a word: Perfect. Cooked exactly as ordered, tender, served with a creamy horseradish sauce with a side of broccoli, and no less than an inch thick and massive enough to cover the plate from end to end. Sooooooo good.

My water arrived shortly with the water which was a good thing as the horseradish sauce had a bite. No complaints from hubby re burger. The mudslide showed up a few minutes later in a 16 oz glass with chocolate drippings rimming the interior of the glass (mudslides have chocolate? I never realized this before). The server said the bartender had said it was going to be worth the wait and she/he was right. The mudslide put the -tini drink to shame - even with that chocolate sugar rimmed glass... Here I go again: Sooooooo good.

At this point I had already started writing this post in my head because everything was exceeding my expectations beyond what I thought a Flanigan's was capable of. I totally inhaled the prime rib, was amazed by the crispy cold fresh cole slaw, and just so I could report back - confirmed that the broccoli lived up to everything else. I glanced over at my husband's plate and every last bit of burger and french fry was gone.

Finally, as if anything couldnt get better (and I expressed as much to a manager who wandered by and inquired if all was satisfactory), my husband asked if our second drinks had been ordered in their Happy Hour window. Why, yes, they had! My sublime Mudslide was a whopping $2.24! When I expressed my amazement, she said the most expensive happy hour drink you could order - a top shelf LI Iced Tea was only $3.99....and it may be the first happy hour Ive tried that wasn't 2 for 1. Having just 1 drink was fine.

The bill came in after 2 rounds of drinks, a steak dinner & a burger at an eye-blinking, double-checking the check amount. Did they really charge us for everything?

We'll be back, I'm sure..
which night where you there ?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
which night where you there ?
Last night. How come?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM

I was there Thursday night....just wondering. Would be funny if we ran into each other and didn't even know.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I was there Thursday night....just wondering. Would be funny if we ran into each other and didn't even know.

lol, that would be...even funnier if you were like yeah, I was wearing a Dolphins hat or something and I remembered seeing you!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Literally in my backyard, will have to check it out!
So then literally, you live a minute away from me...and I work right across the street in Vacation Village.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:25 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Flanningans has awesome Ribs

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I think Carolina Ale House in Weston is not part of the "[your town] Ale House" chain you see all over South Florida.

I didn't like them when they first opened a few years ago.

But I have been back recently a couple of times and liked them quite a bit more.

They have a better selection of beers. Service is pretty nice. And their Filly Cheese Steak tastes better than at Flanigan's.
It's not the same Ale House concept as the rest. You are referring to Miller's Ale House which is the "Davie/Pines/Boca/Coral Springs/INSERT NAME HERE Ale House" - Carolina Ale House is a completely different concept.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Miller's ale house is the shizang ! Try the new Zinger mountain ! wow ! Artery clogging, but deeelicious

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,904 times
Miller's is typically the busiest - mostly because they are the cheapest. They charge fair prices, $2 or whatever for a beer is fine in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area