Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 AM

282 posts, read 1,011,046 times

Advertisements

Dirt roads and forests?? That's just dumb, Cape Coral is a boating community full of canals. In the 4 years of owning a house there I have never driven down a dirt road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,358,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Dirt roads and forests?? That's just dumb, Cape Coral is a boating community full of canals. In the 4 years of owning a house there I have never driven down a dirt road.
That bit about being a "Boating Community" is a myth put in place by the developers that tried to make money off of it.
The fact is that the vast majority of citizens in Cape Coral Do not own a boat. And the canals are mostly "Canals To Nowhere".
I have to agree I have not seen any dirt roads within the city limits

Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM

518 posts, read 1,235,381 times
It is true, We have 8 large slips at our complex and only 2 boats. One hasn't moved in 2 years I was told. Mine is the other. I think you will find even people with a lot of money just can't seem to find the time to use most of the toys they buy. Most of the boats that hang on lifts seem to just fall apart around here. I have found if you are not retired its just not worth all of the expense for boats for the little time they are used. Its cheaper to rent.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,360,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
That bit about being a "Boating Community" is a myth put in place by the developers that tried to make money off of it.
And the canals are mostly "Canals To Nowhere".
That is simply not true.
Map of Cape Coral Florida
The canals with light blue water are all gulf access. Of course the closer to the river the better the access.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM

There is plenty of canals that go out to the gulf from the cape.It just doesn't seem like that many people really use them for all of the expense they put out for it.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm sure the economy and gas prices have diminished the number of boat owners. From my house I see from about 10 to 20 boats a day going from the Rubicon out to the river. I haven't gotten my boat yet.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM

964 posts, read 2,070,387 times
I think boating was a secondary aspect to Cape Coral's design. Creating a large amount of waterfront living properties was the real vision. And besides, the Rosens had no EPA regs to impede their little dredge and fill project - it probably wasn't that expensive in the scheme of things. Not like it would be today, even if they could get approval to basically re-craft a whole body of swampland into liveable space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
There is plenty of canals that go out to the gulf from the cape.It just doesn't seem like that many people really use them for all of the expense they put out for it.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Having waterfront property is not just about boating. If you are lucky you can get a nice wide water view. There are more birds near the water and you see fish jumping; once in a while you see a dolphin or a manatee. You can fish off your dock. You can watch the boats go by. Even when you are not on the water with your boat it is still a nice toy to have in your backyard. There is always something to work on.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM

You don't have to sell me on the life style. 3 out of 4 homes I have are on the water. But, My complex here has 8 units. 1 has a renter year round. I live in one. The other 6 are vacant and are only used 1 or 2 weeks out of the year. We have no foreclosures. That means 6 units pay a whole lot per year(9,000to10,000 without mortgage) to watch fish jump, birds fly and boats go by ect for 2 weeks of fun. My point is even with the Capes lower prices it is still cheaper to rent right now than it is to buy and have to carry a home for just a few weeks of Florida fun. Only a Realtor would tell you something different. The same type Realtor and developer that started Cape Coral in the first place.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Who says live there for a few weeks a year? <.(((<<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area