Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,336,961 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that Citizens is the insurer of last resort if you can't get private insurance and it is funded by tax dollars. Is there anyone in Cape Coral that can not get private homeowners insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM

964 posts, read 2,065,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
My understanding is that Citizens is the insurer of last resort if you can't get private insurance and it is funded by tax dollars. Is there anyone in Cape Coral that can not get private homeowners insurance?
I think if you are in a certain zone you must get Citizen's, as no other insurer will cover you. Not sure, though. Regardless, I don't think it matters, as all Floridians have to pay into the Citizen's fund. Just found this:

Bill allowing hefty Citizens insurance rate hikes clears first panel

By Julie Patel March 29, 2011 04:25 PM

A bill that would raise Citizens Property Insurance policyholders' premiums by up to 25 percent a year and make many policyholders ineligible for coverage was approved by a close 6 to 4 vote in the Senate's insurance committee today.

Sen. Alan Hays, R-Umatilla, said his bill, SB 1714 is aimed to shrink state-backed Citizens, Florida’s largest residential insurance provider with 1.3 million policies, and even the playing for private insurers. The bill will go to one or two committees before it can be taken up for a full Senate vote.
The bill, and its House companion, HB 1243, would also bar policies for homeowners who find coverage elsewhere for a price that's up to 25 percent more; require Citizens to drop policies covering homes that cost at least $500,000; prevent Citizens policyholders from hiring public insurance adjusters to represent them in claims disputes; and require Citizens to hire an outside consultant to analyze whether to have more of its work outsourced.

Gwen Margolis, D-Miami, said people who will be no longer be eligible for coverage with Citizens will find it even harder to sell their homes, which could worsen economic problems in the state.

"At what point do we recognize that there are people out there that are struggling that can no longer afford [it]?" said Sen. Mike Fasano, R-New Port Richey, who led the charge against the bill. He said Floridians who elected Republicans do not expect legislators to raise their taxes, rates or premiums. “Every time I turn around we see another rate increase...Give these people some relief.”

Hays said his bill would help reduce fees charged to the 85 percent of Florida policyholders who don't have Citizens but have to help offset the insurer's deficits from the 2005 hurricanes. "We call it an assessment but that's just a big long word for tax," he said.

J.D. Alexander, R-Lake Wales, said auto insurance policyholders would also be subject to paying fees. He said a constituent told him, "I can't even afford a house. Why do I have to pay this assessment?"

South Florida lawmakers that voted against the bill are Sens. Margolis, Chris Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale, and Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood. Sen. Joe Negron, R-Stuart, voted for it, Sen. Ellyn Bogdanoff, R-Fort Lauderdale, was not at the meeting.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM

Is it just for homes on the beach?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Is it just for homes on the beach?
I found some info, but it's not easy:

The Citizens High Risk Account operates in portions of the following counties: Bay, Brevard, Broward, Charlotte, Collier, Dade, Duval, Escambia, Flagler, Franklin, Gulf, Hernando, Indian River, Lee, Levy, Manatee, Monroe, Nassau, Okaloosa, Palm Beach, Pasco, Pinellas, St. Johns, St. Lucie, Santa Rosa, Sarasota, Volusia, Wakulla and Walton. The High Risk Account operates in most of coastal Florida, with the notable exception of Hillsborough County, where private market windstorm insurance has remained available, largely because of protection afforded the region by huge Tampa Bay.

From capecoral.net:

The low- and moderate-risk zones are represented on the maps by the letter “X” or an “X” that is shaded. The inland high-risk zones will be labeled with designations such as “A”, “AE”, “AO” or “AH”, and coastal high-risk zones that have additional risk from storm surge will be labeled “V” or “VE”.

To give some idea, the Miami-specific high risk area is:

areas on barrier islands, near the mainland coasts and, in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, from I-95/U.S. 1 to the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM

45 posts, read 118,443 times
Read this note.
Citizens Insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an article on the new legislature:
House looks at fix for Citizens Insurance | The News-Press | news-press.com

I currently have Citizens on my condo next to the river. It was available, competitive and through a private agent who seemed to have integrity. Being on or near the water comes with some limitations as to insurance availability. Fortunately I haven't had to test it.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

45 posts, read 118,443 times
Here is the Lee County Flood Zone MAp
Map of Lee County Flood Zones

and an FAQ from the Cape Coral web site

http://www.capecoral.net/Portals/0/d..._CapeCoral.pdf

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfthegrae View Post
So this legislation is raising capital because the not for profit government insurance does not have enough funding to pay for claims should a disaster hit. I would rather see the folks that are getting the benefit of living right near the gulf or river pay a little more than have the taxpayers who live inland have to pay more.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
So this legislation is raising capital because the not for profit government insurance does not have enough funding to pay for claims should a disaster hit. I would rather see the folks that are getting the benefit of living right near the gulf or river pay a little more than have the taxpayers who live inland have to pay more.

That seems fair. I wonder what the specifics are. Which residents. Who determines.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Riko, in reading that map, the "little" increase - doubling the insurance after 4 years - covers half of Cape Coral!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Riko, in reading that map, the "little" increase - doubling the insurance after 4 years - covers half of Cape Coral!
The legislation says they (the government) can raise rates up to 25% per year. It doesn't mean it will be that much, or every year. Right now the government can raise the rate up to 10% per year. But evidently that is not enough to cover the cost to fund a major disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area