Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 PM

205 posts, read 421,785 times

Advertisements

We are from St. Louis, and we are retired, we are very interested in buying a home with water access to the Gulf.

I want to stay on the west coast of Florida and have been reading MSL listings from Cape Coral, please tell me where the best place to buy and live that has Gulf water access

I'm open to all ideas, I just don't know the area.

Thank You,
Tim

Last edited by easytim; 08-13-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 05:10 AM

244 posts, read 487,398 times
I think Cape Coral offers a very good GulfAccess, however you need to pay attention where in Cape Coral you buy. There are several things you need to be aware of in regards of GulfAccess.

Cape Coral has over 400 Miles of canals.

There are FRESHWATER Canals with NO access to the Gulf - some of them lead into freshwater lakes, some of them are leading nowhere.

Then you have GulfAccess Canals and as closer you are to the River and the Gulf as more expensive those properties get.

You need to see how big the boat is you are purchasing because some of the bridges are pretty low and you will not be able to go under with a larger (higher) boat or a Sailboat.

Also in some areas there are locks or lifts to go through on your way out to the gulf - which will restrict your access.

There are some areas in Cape Coral which are located on Gulf Access Canals but it will take you 1 - 2 hours to get out to the Gulf and all that has to be done in idle speed.

And then you have very good gulf access areas - unrestricted, no bridges, no locks, no lifts and only 5 minutes out to the gulf.

You can go to dinner by boat, there are nice waterfront restaurants and the beaches of Sanibel Island and Fort Myers Beach are "boaters heavens".

Best Gulf Access you have East of Del Prado Blvd, South of Cape Coral Parkway and East of Chiquita Blvd. There are also a few good Gulf Access AReas north of Pine Island Road and West of Burntstore Road and South of Ceitus.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Some additional areas that have gulf access are in Charlotte County, FL just north of Cape Coral in Lee County.

Here is some information on Punta Gorda:

Situated on Charlotte Harbor, slightly north of Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Florida is experiencing a period of renovation and growth. This warm community provides all of the amenities you would expect in one of the larger neighboring cities, while still retaining its serene atmosphere. This coastal city, with its many charms, is one of the hidden gems of Southwestern Florida. Although it was once a sleepy fishing village, today Punta Gorda is now an appealing vacation destination with its wide array of outdoor activities and nearly perfect climate. Whether you want to relax on the beach or enjoy the vibrant nightlife, there is plenty to do in the local area.

Punta Gorda Isles (PGI) is a large upscale waterfront community in Punta Gorda FL. With city water and sewer and close proximity to I-75 and US 41, Punta Gorda Isles is convenient to all services and amenities and close to downtown Punta Gorda, Fort Myers and Naples. Punta Gorda Isles was once swampland dredged by General Development Corp. in 1957 to create a maze of seawalled saltwater canals. Canals in Punta Gorda Isles are 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and the seawalls and canals are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda. This is a primarily a boating, golfing and country club neighborhood with pretty Spanish tile roofs and a strong homeowner’s association to help maintain value.

Punta Gorda also has a restored downtown area only a few blocks from Punta Gorda Isles that will send you back in time with quaint brick walkways, gas lights, fine food and interesting shops and art galleries while Fisherman’s Village is the gem of the waterfront, with lots of shopping and dining. The city of Punta Gorda appeals to families, retirees and winter residents. There is a strong civic pride and very active civic organizations in the Punta Gorda area. Ponce de Leon Historical Park and boat ramp are at the western end of Punta Gorda Isles. The Punta Gorda Yacht Club is located on the harbor and is always a popular place for visitors and residents alike.

Here is some information on Waterfront Communities in Port Charlotte:

With the Myakka and Peace Rivers as well as some 165 miles of idyllic man-made waterways, Charlotte County offers some of the most beautiful waterfront communities in this part of Florida. While the local area is nothing short of stunning, the properties here are also still among some of the most affordable on the Southwest Coast of Florida. Charlotte County waterfront communities afford residents with the ability to enjoy a small town atmosphere while at the same time maintaining easy access to the best of waterfront living.

Grassy Pointe is a small gated waterfront community that features spectacular million dollar homes and even more breathtaking views.

South Gulf Cove is an expansive area that is situated near Englewood and offers miles and miles of access to the Gulf of Mexico.

El Jobean is situated right before the bridge that crosses the Myakka River. If you are looking for a waterfront community that has managed to retain timeless appeal and a sense of what Old Florida once was, this is the ideal location.

Gulf Cove offers a blend of waterfront mansions and more modest homes situated along the Myakka River. Englewood is only a short distance away.

Harbor Heights is situated upriver from the Peace River and offers some of the area’s most spectacular waterfront properties as well as a spacious park.

Throughout Charlotte County you will find a pleasing mix of condos, single-family homes and expansive waterfront estate homes. Whether you are looking for a gated community, deed-restricted community right on the water or a luxury waterfront estate, you will find plenty of amenities in the local waterfront communities, including landscaping, clubhouses, tennis, spas and community swimming pools. Prospective buyers who love water sports, boating and fishing will love the idyllic waterfront communities of Charlotte County.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 AM

413 posts, read 827,876 times
Here is a post with maps of cape coral canals

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...al-canals.html

Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM

205 posts, read 421,785 times
Very nice replys, thank you very much.

Just a northern newbee,
Tim

Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Does Sarasota also offer this kind of canal system and Gulf Access?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM

518 posts, read 1,230,920 times
Yes it does and it costs a lot more for the same access. I like Sarasota it has a lot more culture ect to enjoy. The think I like about the Cape and Ft myers area is the ease of access to the airport for a very low flight cost. My home is 20 min. cab ride to the airport. My gulf access is one of the best. I am right by the yacht club in the se section of the cape. The little beach is not much but the pier is very nice.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Does Sarasota also offer this kind of canal system and Gulf Access?
Here is a web link for Sarasota County canals. You can look up any area and see the map.

Free Sarasota County, Florida Canal Topographic Maps

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytim View Post
Very nice replys, thank you very much.

Just a northern newbee,
Tim
Tim,
What sort of boating are you interested in? Sailing, pleasure cruising or fishing? That will narrow down your choices.

When I relocated to SWFL in 2007, Cape Coral was high on my list...until I got here. The crime of CC and FM is much higher than than in neighboring Charlotte County, Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. There were 3 shootings in Fort Myers on Saturday night alone. The city government and budget issues in CC appear to be really troublesome.

When the Gulf waters are rough, the water in Charlotte Harbor is still very do-able. I settled in Port Charlotte, with a canal home behind 3 bridges and a 2.6 mile low wake ride to open throttle. I bought the wrong boat the first time and one low bridge limited my boating. I have the right boat now, still have a T-top for shade, but the bridges are no issue.

I love Punta Gorda too but settled in PC and saved about $50,000 on the home.

If you want to know more about our area, check out the city-data page for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice. That's where Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda info is placed. Best of luck.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM

45 posts, read 118,347 times
I am a little further away from open water than fiege1224 being on Beach Pkwy right next to the park. I spoke to a longtime boater who told me the following which I find to be very true. If you want actual quick access to open water, stay East of Del Prado Blvd and South of Cape Coral Pkwy. It is not quite that cut and dry but the roads make good rule of thumb markers. Much of the West and South West of Cape Coral has horrible access.
I looked in Punta Gorda and Port Charolotte but decided that I could get more bang for my buck
in CC. 3 to 5 MPH for only a 2 mile trip equates to a 25 to 40 minute ride each way just to get to the river. That's a long time unless you plan to go out only once a week or less. If you want to be out a lot you'll want to be close to open water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area