Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Well, the state lets the pieces of crap out because they are "overfilled" in the jails...

I remember a court appearance I went to with a friend in 1996. A guy was up at the bench he urinated in an alley in Orlando, first offence. They gave him a $500 fine, plus another $1000 fine, and 80 hours community service. FOR PEEING IN AN ALLEY. A guy came up after him and he was a second offense DUI, SECOND!!! They gave him a $500 fine, and loss of license for 6 months....... I think(actually know) Florida is bass ackwards. The drunk guy driving around who can kill someone was given less than the guy whizzing in an alley.

Florida needs to take a look at the system and FIGURE IT OUT!!!! Build new jails, drop them off in the ocean, good idea Justnancy. Send them to Nigeria or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I left a job in Fort Myers because every night I would think "is this the day I get mugged (or worse) on the way to my car?" No thanks.

Last week a man terrorized a couple in Cape Coral in their own home. He has been charged with a spree of burglaries and home invasions. He also had "a lengthy rap sheet."

I agree, what the heck is wrong? Why do they let these repeat offenders roam our streets? The cop killer who left 3 babies ages 2-5 without a father was a known gang member. According to US Immigration, they tried to deport him, but Cuba didn't want to take him back! So we should have taken him far out on a boat and thrown him overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 4,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Well, the state lets the pieces of crap out because they are "overfilled" in the jails...

I remember a court appearance I went to with a friend in 1996. A guy was up at the bench he urinated in an alley in Orlando, first offence. They gave him a $500 fine, plus another $1000 fine, and 80 hours community service. FOR PEEING IN AN ALLEY. A guy came up after him and he was a second offense DUI, SECOND!!! They gave him a $500 fine, and loss of license for 6 months....... I think(actually know) Florida is bass ackwards. The drunk guy driving around who can kill someone was given less than the guy whizzing in an alley.

Florida needs to take a look at the system and FIGURE IT OUT!!!! Build new jails, drop them off in the ocean, good idea Justnancy. Send them to Nigeria or something...

well I can tell you that some NE states there are no Felony drunk driving laws. Now thats messed up.. Also its more money for a speeding ticket than it is for a drunk driving ticket.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM

And I can tell you the NE state I am going to has the toughest DUI laws up there... It still doesn't matter about the DUI part, they let people out that NEVER should be... Tell me please that peeing in an alley is worse than driving drunk.... Don't make me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut_express View Post
well I can tell you that some NE states there are no Felony drunk driving laws. Now thats messed up.. Also its more money for a speeding ticket than it is for a drunk driving ticket.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 AM

I don't know what NH's laws are compared to Mass. but Mass. is really tight on DUI... I don't know what kind of a death sentence you get for a peeing incident....LOL...

Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 AM

I was not comparing NE to Fl anyways. I was stating the fact that Floridas priorities on crime are pretty stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut_express View Post

Last edited by Keeper; 07-22-2008 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: please report previous members.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
I was stating the fact that Floridas priorities on crime are pretty stupid.
You can't blame Florida for a lack of federal prison space (where these kinds of criminals belong) or accepting the "bad apple" immigrants. Send a letter to Bushy Tail in DC. I think space can be made without building more local/county jails or federal prisons but I will spare the forum of my hyperbole (again). The problem isn't Florida, which can't do anything with these criminals but throw them in county jail due to a lack of space beyond. The misplaced priorities are nationwide and we have been paying for it (both literally and indirectly) for years. As far as Mass, go visit Springfield.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 AM

I know about Mass. and Springfield, Holyoke, then some of the Boston areas, Lynn, Roxbury.... No place is crime free. I am from Northampton just 10 miles north of Holyoke/Spfld. I don't like driving through there, and never go to Spfld. There is a lot going on there. Moderator cut: name ... I am not comparing Mass. and Florida. Why is it everyone thinks I am? This state needs to keep tighter reigns on these punks. Hell, all states do... Including Mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You can't blame Florida for a lack of federal prison space (where these kinds of criminals belong) or accepting the "bad apple" immigrants. Send a letter to Bushy Tail in DC. I think space can be made without building more local/county jails or federal prisons but I will spare the forum of my hyperbole (again). The problem isn't Florida, which can't do anything with these criminals but throw them in county jail due to a lack of space beyond. The misplaced priorities are nationwide and we have been paying for it (both literally and indirectly) for years. As far as Mass, go visit Springfield.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-22-2008 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: report post, don't accuse members of being previous members

Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Hell, all states do... Including Mass.
I think states and counties really are doing all that they can do. Did you hear what happened in Broward County? We have a borderline police state now, an officer that is totally OFF DUTY can now pull ANYONE over for ANY reason ANYWHERE in the county. Crime is going up but funding for our police is going down, so the money has to be generated somewhere. I have an amazing level of respect for police officers but something has to give within the bigger system. We (non-thugs) are losing our freedoms slowly but surely between the thugs and the government response to them. I will save this segment of the forum of my more political opinions but I think you understand basically what I am getting at. We DO have misplaced priorities, at a NATIONAL level, and it starts with our court system and our lawmakers. Less money needs to be spend on the "war on drugs" and more money needs to be spent on nabbing burglars and robbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area