Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Article II of the US Constitution makes the President of the United State of America Commander-in-Chief of the US armed forces. Specifically, Article II, Section 2, Clause I.

But...moving on, up in the Sarasota forum they are complaining about the smell of oil. Well, I should say some folks are complaining, but others have not smelled it. I was wondering if anyone can smell it down near the water in Cape Coral or Fort Myers. They say it is very noticeable when the ocean breezes come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

98 posts, read 368,804 times
I am still waiting for the post blaming the City of Cape Coral on the oil spill.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Article II of the US Constitution makes the President of the United State of America Commander-in-Chief of the US armed forces. Specifically, Article II, Section 2, Clause I.

But...moving on, up in the Sarasota forum they are complaining about the smell of oil. Well, I should say some folks are complaining, but others have not smelled it. I was wondering if anyone can smell it down near the water in Cape Coral or Fort Myers. They say it is very noticeable when the ocean breezes come in.

I'm aware of who the CinC is, but the oath still goes to the Constitution, not the individual. The Whermacht swore their oath directly to Adolf Hitler, we all know how well that worked out for everyone....just sayin'....

I understand 121's explanation however, I did my military stint with the group under the DoT at the time, as opposed to the DoD, but the rules were the same.

Soon after the rig sank, and the spill started there were reports on the local news here that the oil could be smelled on the sea breeze in the afternoons. I've never noticed it myself. But admitedly, my alergies are still giving me heck lately. Havent heard it mentioned in a couple weeks now.

YC.......

BTW Scott, everything is the city of Cape Coral's fault

Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
This just in, Fox News is reporting that the tar balls washing up on the Keys are NOT from the Deepwater Horizon spill, samples show a different kind of oil... experts are not sure where they came from. Natural seepage maybe?

The story is also posted on the Wall Street Journal Market watch website.
I sort of think the story to which you're referring is overshadowed by the one that thick oil has washed ashore in Louisiana.

Louisiana shore sees heavy oil as BP prepares plug - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100520/ts_nm/us_oil_rig_leak - broken link)

Or perhaps the fact that the NOAA has confirmed that the oil sheen is in the Loop Current doesn't make the announcement that the tar balls aren't from the rig very comforting.

[URL="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/05/gulf-oil-spill-noaa-confirms-oil-sheen-is-in-loop-current.html"]Gulf oil spill: NOAA confirms oil sheen is in Loop Current | Greenspace | Los Angeles Times[/URL]

Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It's been a year and a half since Obama's election. You can't just keep blaming Bush for everything. If Obama is so smart why didn't he change the way the drilling is overseen. He must have been satisfied with the system if he approved a massive expansion of offshore drilling. He must have at least looked into it right? Did he make any changes before the spill?
Why do you continue to put words in my virtual mouth? I never said Obama is blameless. It would be like saying Bush was completely responsible for the subprime mortgage crisis. Yet when the economy collapsed, a lot of people started to blame Carter, Clinton and Obama. They seem to leave out leaders from the other party whenever there's a crisis.

This opinion, written by Alan Farago of Friends of the Everglades, pretty much sums it up for me.

[URL="http://www.counterpunch.org/farago05192010.html"]The Tragedy of Managed Expectations in the Gulf[/URL]

"There is a good reason that BP has been allowed by the federal government and agencies to run the show in the Gulf of Mexico. Government, with failure built into its operation and capacity, has been infested with fear, paranoia, careerism and padded with inefficiency for so long, and pushed down by industry and the wages of lobbyists, that the question arises: who is there to make decisions except by committee, except by waffling."

Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

"There is a good reason that BP has been allowed by the federal government and agencies to run the show in the Gulf of Mexico. Government, with failure built into its operation and capacity, has been infested with fear, paranoia, careerism and padded with inefficiency for so long, and pushed down by industry and the wages of lobbyists, that the question arises: who is there to make decisions except by committee, except by waffling."
I couldn't agree more!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Actually that link works well if you eliminate one of the "http" lines at the beginning.

Not sure what it has to do with oil in the gulf, but I may look into it.

Personally, I would recommend Yoko for the job. I'm busy implementing an escape plan, and prefer to maintain a low profile at the moment. I've learned the hard way that asking too many questions, or fielding a complaint in Cape Coral only invites the wrath and increased scrutiny of the local gestapo.

YC.......
yes, if you are going to take on city hall face on, batten down the hatches and prepare to get hammered - not wise if you are vulnerable and don't have high financial walls around you and a deep moat

however, when citizens fear their government more than government fears its voters...you have a system that is in trouble

my advice is rather get on the inside rather than be on the outside pissing in. Volunteer on a campaign of a candidate that you respect, who is not a hopeless case.

there is also the added benefit that a lot of networking and business gets done in political circles (at all levels) and you get laid a lot, should that be of any interest

Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
there is also the added benefit that a lot of networking and business gets done in political circles (at all levels) and you get laid a lot, should that be of any interest
At least they're getting some pleasure from it, unlike when the government screws us. They keep getting laid while we keep getting laid off.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You never cease to amaze me, and I mean that in a good way. I know networking is great when you run in political circles. I didn't know about the laid part, but then again, in my previous career I would have been the last to know.

Many years ago, I heard about an elderly couple that complained relentlessly to the powers that be in Cape Coral and it didn't have a very happy ending. Scary, scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
yes, if you are going to take on city hall face on, batten down the hatches and prepare to get hammered - not wise if you are vulnerable and don't have high financial walls around you and a deep moat

however, when citizens fear their government more than government fears its voters...you have a system that is in trouble

my advice is rather get on the inside rather than be on the outside pissing in. Volunteer on a campaign of a candidate that you respect, who is not a hopeless case.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
At least they're getting some pleasure from it, unlike when the government screws us. They keep getting laid while we keep getting laid off.
when companies screw up, they eventually end up paying for it
when governments screw up, the taxpayers end up paying for it
which is the logic for fearing government more than fearing corporations

as far as the getting laid part, I learned that too late for that knowledge to benefit me! (happily and very married)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area