Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,323 times

Advertisements

How about a mall downtown like Circle Centre mall in the heart of downtown Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM

121 posts, read 336,574 times
Anything that will create more foot traffic in downtown. How well would a mobile hot dog stand survive in the downtown area at different times of the day? Can a person enjoy a reasonably long visit to downtown Fort Wayne (i.e. eat, shop, lounge, spectate) and only have to commute/park once?

Here are some suggestions that I have whimsically conjured with no sources outside of my own observations of Fort Wayne and other cities around the US:
  • A grocery of any sort is needed. Something suitable for the urban setting would be nice (i.e. no dedicated 200 spot parking lot required but may make use of an existing parking garage).
  • A shopping district would create a denser/better concentration of retail, cafes, boutiques. I'm thinking of an anchor indoor tower with supporting outdoor stores.
  • A nearby outdoor park/area with wireless internet access
  • There should be less emphasis on parking. There is enough parking throughout the city as is to support a dense population. Make downtown Fort Wayne a destination and people will come regardless.
Given that Fort Wayne is small and commuting across town is not much of a hassle, I think the city must concentrate on creating more urban housing opportunities to create a guaranteed population for sustainable/consistent foot traffic throughout the year/day within the downtown area.

My uneducated self believes that the key to developing downtown Fort Wayne is picking the right locations to construct/reconstruct, which may not play well with other driving factors.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Not to be pessimistic, but there will never be a destination mall in downtown Fort Wayne. It just can't sustain itself, nor will it ever have the investors. However, I think shopping destinations could be added over time, but who is going to be the first to dip their feet into unchartered territories? That takes a lot of risk. I do like the concept of a grocer (like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's) to use an existing parking garage and develop a store here, but again, not likely. The city should really consider developing a Riverwalk near Headwaters Park. This would be great and a nice amenity to the residents.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM

I like to go kayaking for fun, but after trying it out here in Fort Wayne once, it is very unlikely that I will go again anytime soon. I am not sure what river runs by Fort Wayne Outfitters, but the water there is just too nasty. I have not taken a good look at the other rivers in town so I cannot say how they are nor do I have my own kayak or know of other rental spots to enjoy cleaner waters.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:28 PM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosborn13 View Post
Or how about a mall downtown like Circle Centre downtown Indianapolis. Or how about a movie theater since the ones we do have are clear cross town.
There is a great movie theater downtown already.

Movie Schedule

Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
I agree that a mall in downtown Fort Wayne would never survive. Both Glenbrook and Jefferson Pointe are 10 minutes away from downtown FW.

That being said, when I lived in Fort Wayne, I always believed the downtown revitalization effort should focus around Calhoun St. I feel Calhoun St should become a pedestrian mall, closed to vehicle traffic from Washington St up to the courthouse, maybe even all the way to Columbia St and possibly make Columbia St a part of the pedestrian mall. But at least the 2 block stretch between Washington and Berry. Get some kind of department store to go in at the corner of Wayne & Calhoun to help draw more little shops, cafes, and restaurants to that area, putting an emphasis on locally owned. Maybe take out a lane from Washington or Wayne and add a wide, tree-lined sidewalk the 2 blocks from Calhoun to the library. Then do the same down to the ballpark. It always amazed me about Calhoun that here was this beautifully tree-lined street in the heart of downtown and it had a handful of little cafes that were closed on weekends and by 2 or 3PM during the week. And maybe as an added attraction, the Lincoln Tower could open the observation deck all the time or at least on weekends.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 PM

I think my idea of a shopping district is the same as your idea for a pedestrian mall. A destination for shopping, eating, and lounging in the downtown area would be great. Outdoor seating for restaurants and benches would increase pedestrian traffic and liven up the area.

This suburb of Chicago (Elmhurst) has a neat downtown area with dense retail, eateries, and lounging.

The disadvantages right now for downtown Fort Wayne is how spread out everything is and the lack of outdoor sitting/lounging. The stores, attractions, and restaurants in the area may do adequately well, but the downtown atmosphere is lacking, which is only hurting the future potential of the area.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5131/5...b8b76bb8_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5017/5...44f4948e_z.jpg

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyner View Post
I think my idea of a shopping district is the same as your idea for a pedestrian mall. A destination for shopping, eating, and lounging in the downtown area would be great. Outdoor seating for restaurants and benches would increase pedestrian traffic and liven up the area.

This suburb of Chicago (Elmhurst) has a neat downtown area with dense retail, eateries, and lounging.

The disadvantages right now for downtown Fort Wayne is how spread out everything is and the lack of outdoor sitting/lounging. The stores, attractions, and restaurants in the area may do adequately well, but the downtown atmosphere is lacking, which is only hurting the future potential of the area.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5131/5...b8b76bb8_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5017/5...44f4948e_z.jpg
I think this looks great! Maybe there could be a cool way to integrate a revitalized River Walk and construct something like this...maybe in the Headwaters area?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Downtown desperately needs nightlife. Shopping, additional bars, etc would bring some MUCH needed vitality to the streets of Fort Wayne, especially around Calhoun

Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Downtown desperately needs nightlife. Shopping, additional bars, etc would bring some MUCH needed vitality to the streets of Fort Wayne, especially around Calhoun
I understand what you are saying, there are quite a few bars downtown, but besides Jk O'Donnells, there isn't really anything centrally located downtown, everything is kind of in the outskirts. I drop by the Dashin for a beer when I am on Calhoun. There are a couple of storefronts for rent on Calhoun, across from One Summit Square, if only there was a few entrepreneurial folks out there to bring some shopping in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne