Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM

62 posts, read 209,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I just moved from Fort Wayne to Indianapolis a few months ago. What Fort Wayne needs is more things to do downtown like movie theaters, shopping, and condos. They have made a good start with Harrison Square, but without more retail downtown will not improve.
I couldn't agree more. They are definitely going in the right direction with Harrison Square though. Hopefully that is a catalyst to uncover just what a more vibrant downtown can do.

It'll be nice to give a future high speed rail a worthy destination rather than just another boarding stop for Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
I did a paper on downtown ft wayne in college. I actually looked at micro film of all the old buildings that were demolished in the 60's and 70,s. Beautiful old buildings were sacrificed for no other reason than to make parking. Cheaper than renovation, I guess. But, yeah, those buildings could have added much needed character to our downtown.

The women of my family used to get dressed up to go to Wolf and Desshauer for shopping, with lunch at the Murphy's Store diner. Its not a real destination anymore, for a whole day of that sort, but there are still places to go. Had lunch @ Club Soda today- really nice.

I don't have the answers, but I sure hope we figure it out. Too many kids think Jefferson Pt is the only way to spend an afternoon here. I have kids and I live in the suburbs, and we go downtown and continue to check out new attractions. Part of the problem is that many of the "lifers" of our area did not grow up with a vital downtown and therefore see it as "dangerous" to venture there- the friend I lunched with knew many people like this. They were not brought up going downtown for fun and thus don't teach their kids that .

Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
While on one hand, I am upset, terribly upset about the demolition of the ballpark where the Wizards played... Yet, other hand, from what I've seen, and as a proponent of downtowns, I am thrilled at the work there, including the new park. I work ~15 minutes from there, and ~once a week or so will go downtown for lunch. Funny, the locals I work with, they complain about going down there at lunch, due to parking and "getting around" issues But, as their boss, they don't complain too much too much about going down there

I've said it before - IMHO one of the biggest draws that this city has is ignored at best, shunned at worst: the rivers and the river fronts. I would love to see more efforts to have debris removed from these potential jewels, and more enjoyable places to appreciate and partake in this natural attraction. True, she floods - and quite wide in her levels, but there can be means to work with the rivers and help make these areas more encouraging for visits. Headwaters Park is great, but after dark [besides during festivals and concerts, which is amazingly cool how often those happen ], the place there and surrounding is deserted. The DID has some fun happenings, but IMHO are not publicized enough, but when they are, good sized crowds.

However, with all that said, all those I've mentioned do not speak to the issue of making the downtown area more attractive for actual living - at least not directly. Me, I prefer rural lifestyle, out of the city, surrounded by stars and fields and woods, so I'm not one to say this is what I want or would need to have me live downtown, necessarily. But, I still believe that doing some of these things mentioned above, that would help improve the attraction even more. There are some great restaurants & taverns, but, what else is needed, besides housing/condos? The suggestion about theaters, shopping, & condos - that could be it... total package of entertainment, necessities, and places to live.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I did a paper on downtown ft wayne in college. I actually looked at micro film of all the old buildings that were demolished in the 60's and 70,s. Beautiful old buildings were sacrificed for no other reason than to make parking. Cheaper than renovation, I guess. But, yeah, those buildings could have added much needed character to our downtown.
That would've been really sweet. What a missed opportunity, but hey, that was 30-40+ years ago. Still a shame that we have so much parking but not enough reasons to get out of the car and walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Part of the problem is that many of the "lifers" of our area did not grow up with a vital downtown and therefore see it as "dangerous" to venture there- the friend I lunched with knew many people like this. They were not brought up going downtown for fun and thus don't teach their kids that .
I could see that, but I also think that people are also just forgetting that we have a downtown...except for those that wish there was more reason to spend a day there.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM

The most recent news of the Harrison Square Condos in Fort Wayne:
Because We Could Always Use More Vacant Office Space | What's Going Down(town)

http://www.angrywhiteboy.org/index.p...stupid-stupid/

What do you all think?

Last edited by fakie; 08-29-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

202 posts, read 762,940 times
I don't know what else there can be in downtown to bring folks in, though. I keep hearing shopping, and I suppose that makes sense. It would be great if there was a nice area, especially along the Calhoun corridor, in that area that is trying to be a little more hip and trendy, with smaller specialty stores that can not be found at Glenbrook. The problem is, most people would rather just go to the malls and so the stores head in that direction, perhaps if there was some sort of tax incentive? I don't know. However, there are plenty of other things for people, single or families to take part of in the downtown area. For one thing, there are plenty of art galleries in the downtown area from the museum to all those little galleries in West Central, and even Charlie Cummings is not too far from downtown. All of Fort Wayne's best restaurants are concentrated downtown, along with all the best bars, and music venues. The main library, Fort Wayne's biggest tourist attraction, is also downtown in a beautiful complex where they hold special events all the time and concerts in the plaza. The Cinema Center is downtown, and is one of the best independent movie theaters around, and don't forget about the Dance Collective, and Art Link, all attached to Cinema Center building. The Civic Theatre is downtown, and in walking distance to Headwaters Park and Frieman Square, two beautiful parks that are great places to spend on a lazy afternoon. So, I guess, there are tons of things to do downtown, but you have to be willing to go to those places, and willing to do research for when events take place. As for the original poster not knowing where to eat, there is always Henry's or Hall's that are both great places to take parents.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:04 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times
To build up downtown's retail I can tell you as a business owner what I'd what:
1) security - knowledge that my place isn't going to get held up or burglarized and that my customers are going to be completely safe not only in daylight but at night as well.
2) significant tax incentives - in the suburbs I've had a rude awakening to how ridiculously high commercial property taxes are, and how the landlords here also pass on all the cost to their tenants. If I had no property taxes to pay that would be significant incentive to establish a store downtown. This may sound drastic, but let's call it the way it is... I already pay income taxes and as my business succeeds the government receives more sales taxes anyway... so it's not like removing retail store property tax from the equation would leave the city without tax dollars.
3) There needs to be large clusters of foot traffic-generating businesses along with ample parking and walking areas. The businesses also must have appeal to young families and others who generally stay in the suburbs. In order for this to happen the city has to get behind developing clusters of retail spaces with specific pre-planned themes along with quick/free access to them.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
To build up downtown's retail I can tell you as a business owner what I'd what:
1) security - knowledge that my place isn't going to get held up or burglarized and that my customers are going to be completely safe not only in daylight but at night as well.
2) significant tax incentives - in the suburbs I've had a rude awakening to how ridiculously high commercial property taxes are, and how the landlords here also pass on all the cost to their tenants. If I had no property taxes to pay that would be significant incentive to establish a store downtown. This may sound drastic, but let's call it the way it is... I already pay income taxes and as my business succeeds the government receives more sales taxes anyway... so it's not like removing retail store property tax from the equation would leave the city without tax dollars.
3) There needs to be large clusters of foot traffic-generating businesses along with ample parking and walking areas. The businesses also must have appeal to young families and others who generally stay in the suburbs. In order for this to happen the city has to get behind developing clusters of retail spaces with specific pre-planned themes along with quick/free access to them.
I like your suggestions, however, I do not quite understand your number 1. Fort Wayne is one the safest cities where I have ever lived. Except for a very, very minute section of town, I would feel comfortable walking, shopping, and dining in an part of town, and often did when I lived there. Look at all the late-night fast food places that stay open all night on Jefferson, there have never been any serious crime issue that I can think of. The businesses should maintain easy walkways, that are always well-lit, so that police can patrol and investigate any disturbances easily, but other than that, I don't think there has to be a complete overhaul of anything.

I totally agree with your tax incentives statement.

And, your number 3, also, I think makes alot of sense. However, even though there is ample places to put parking, I think it would be more beneficial if instead of more parking lots, there were more areas converted for more shopping. There are plenty of parking garages and lots all over downtown that barely get used, especially after normal business hours, and then there are whole stretches of street parking that are empty. I think if more people went downtown, then meter parking would go up, and that would help counter any fiscal negative effects of the tax incentive issues. Also, I believe the area should definitely be targeting the youth, such as teens with disposable income, who are not so set in their ways as their parents who probably would still go to Glenbrook and Jefferson Point, as well as Wal-Mart, for everything they need no matter what shopping was available downtown. There is real potential for stores such as Urban Outfitters, an Apple store, Forever 21 and all their multitude of brand shops, as well as Lush. Definitely make the dining family-centered though with a few big chain restaurants anchoring the shopping community that Fort Wayne does not have such as Cheesecake Factory and Rain Forest Cafe. Just some random thoughts, and suggestions to your already really decent points.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
My kids would be in absolute heaven if we had the Rainforest Cafe and Cheesecake Factory, or Old Spaghetti Factory.

I think you're on to something Brainiac! Lots of reluctant hoosiers would venture downtown for exciting new chain restaurants! If you feed them ( novel chain restaurant food) they will come!!!

My husband also thinks an Islands would go over big here on chilly winter days.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM

yeah, I definitely am not the biggest proponent of chain restaurants, but if they get folks downtown, then maybe eventually folks will start to venture to smaller, independent restaurants downtown and close to it. Eventually after the initial "new restaurant" feeling fades they will look at the gems such as the Casa on Fairfield, Los Llamas, Mi Pueblo, Henry's, Toscani Pizza, and King Gyros (which I have read is actually doing really well since the stadium has been built.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne