Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,905 times

Advertisements

We moved from Keller 2 years ago and very glad we did. Had my children in Keller schools for 8 years and had been very leery of the changing atmosphere the last few years. When we moved to the north part of Keller, Park Glen subdivision, it was the place to be. My son would have gone to Keller Central. We are now in the Northwest ISD, Justin Northwest, not Byron, but we are very happy and my son still has friends that tell him about how the area has changed and not for the good. Too many low income apartments in that area...Keller HS is a better area but the system just has a lot issues. Northwest has issues also I am sure but I feel like we made the right decision to move. Also, Northwest and Byron share the new four year Academies, STEM and AMAT and a new HS which will be a higher learning facility, don't know much about it yet, but the academy of media arts and technology is state of the art, also there is the culinary and hospitality academy and nursing academy. Students attend the high school which offers the academy hosting their area of interest. You can research these on the their website nisd.tx.org. Hope this info helps... oh one other thing just FYI , nearly all Keller schools are close enough to neighborhoods that bus service is not offered unless you are more than 2 miles from the school, unless paid for, so most kids have to walk or you have to take and drop off, this info for your eighth grader, not able to drive yet...
Northwest Texan Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

121 posts, read 404,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
How are they going to be fine when Texas spending per pupil is 47th in the country already? And thanks in no small part to suburban voters like those in the NWISD the GOP will enact a 13% spending cut on top of that pathetic amount of funding?
All I can speak to is the education that I see my child receiving, the hard work that the teachers are putting forth, and the enthusiasm of the parents and community in the Byron Nelson attendance zone. Sometimes when you have hard working kids, caring parents, and attentive teachers, you actually make miracles happen. I have seen it friend. Believe.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
03-05-2011, 07:18 AM
SCFriend
befriend Join Date: Apr 2009
91 posts, read 60,735 times

I have to say it is tough to see Texas struggle with education. Coming from a different state, I thought that the budget for my particular district was already lean and mean. I could not imagine where they could cut more. Well, we found out. They are increasing class sizes and moving the surplus teachers to schools with openings. All our curriculum coaches will go back into the classroom and it looks like Reading Recovery will also be cut. Last hired are (of course) the first to go. I came into Texas a few years ago, so I am luckily safe. I thought about transferring to another school closer to my home because they are asking for volunteers... but then I would be the LOW MAN the next year. Do I want that
Isn't this NWISD you are talking about? yes as I said budget cuts WILL affect all districts.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 AM

121 posts, read 404,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Isn't this NWISD you are talking about? yes as I said budget cuts WILL affect all districts.
Absolutely! Compared to other districts we are looking grand! I am proud of NISD. (Northwest is one word.) :-) As I said in a previous post on this forum, we are looking better than most but will be affected like the rest of the US. It was bound to happen friend. And like I said, great kids, excellent teachers, and amazing parents can overcome challenges. Have faith friend.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,375 times
I will be relocating to this area as well. I have three children and want to choose the best area for them. My oldest will be a sophomore, plus I have a daughter who will be in third grade and my youngest will be in Kindergarten. Sadly, I am a teacher with little hope for finding a job with all of these cuts! I am needing advice on schools and housing areas. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
If you want an answer to your questions--
give more specific info and post your own specific one
easier to track responses when you are not tailgateing on an older thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
2011 national merit semi finalists...
Southlake Carroll...6
Grapevine HS...6 (GVCV ISD)
Keller HS....5 (KISD)
Colleyville Heritage...3 (GVCV ISD)
Central HS...1 (KISD)
Fossil Creek HS...1 (KISD)
Westlake Academy...1

Northwest did not have 1 in the last few years as far as I can tell.
Just so you compare Apples to Apples.

This post has a ton of great info....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...finalists.html

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Northwest was a rural, farming district for the most part until the construction boom started--and it still has pockets of poverty among the new subdivisions and plenty of blue collar residents as well--
not that there is anythng wrong with blue collar residents--it is just that college might not be top priority in that type of district--
its history shows little leading edge in scores and I would not rank it in the top tier of districts just because it has a new high school
it is what happens in that school and the others that count--and as 5 stones points out NWiSD has few to no NMSF scholars
for a district with high % of Anglo (few ESL/minoirty students) that does not speak highly for how competitive their teaching is--

Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM

33 posts, read 85,908 times
Northwest does have a National Merit semi-finalist this year. I'm not sure why it doesn't show on the website. Maybe because it's on the western edge of the Metroplex?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Northwest was a rural, farming district for the most part until the construction boom started--and it still has pockets of poverty among the new subdivisions and plenty of blue collar residents as well--
not that there is anythng wrong with blue collar residents--it is just that college might not be top priority in that type of district--
its history shows little leading edge in scores and I would not rank it in the top tier of districts just because it has a new high school
it is what happens in that school and the others that count--and as 5 stones points out NWiSD has few to no NMSF scholars
for a district with high % of Anglo (few ESL/minoirty students) that does not speak highly for how competitive their teaching is--
Wow...have you even been out in the district lately? Most of my neighbors and the people I know all have advanced degrees. Its funny, most of my friends that live in Keller are pretty jealous of what we have out here, but I like to keep my little slice of heaven out in the country quiet.

NWISD has both National Merit and Congressional Medal recipients. www.nwisd.org

Does Keller ISD give netbooks to its students? NWISD has implemented netbook distribution program to all middle schoolers and up. Dr. Rue has my full confidence in running a great district that is adaptive, responsive and the fastest growing ISD in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth