Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 15,795 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of opening a family friendly restaurant in the west Fort Worth or Weatherford area. Any of the locals know of a specific place (neighborhoods) to zero in on? The restaurant will cater to families, specifically with kids say approx 2-12 year old. Its a place where families can meet, eat, socialize and enjoy their time without spending a ton and gives the adults the ability to enjoy their time as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Like a Chuck E Cheese?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Depending on your experience with CECheese, maybe. But to me not at all, think lazy backyard social mixed with type gruene hall atmosphere. Does that make sense?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maker9980 View Post
Depending on your experience with CECheese, maybe. But to me not at all, think lazy backyard social mixed with type gruene hall atmosphere. Does that make sense?
Not really, especially the 'gruene hall' part.

Allow me to ask: do you have experience in owning or operating a restaurant? I have seen far too many inexperienced people open a restaurant, only to fail miserably. Many of these restaurants have opened/failed on the west side of Fort Worth (my home for 57 years). The west side is an expensive place to operate.

If I were you, I would first spring for a demographic study. If your target audience is '2 to 12' year olds and parents, you need to open where they live in proper numbers. For instance, the Cultural District of Fort Worth is developing into a marvelous area, but it seems to consist of mostly young professionals, with few children.

Another example: I have a weekend house close to Gun Barrel City, of east Texas. Restaurants come and go for the simple reason the owners have not studied the area. For instance, a 'high end' steak house opened on the lake. It closed after two months for a simple reason: Gun Barrel is divided between two main demographics: those retired on a fixed income, and the poor, also (mainly) on a fixed income. Such people do not want, or can afford, to pay $25.00 for a steak.

Anyway, think about spending the bucks first on a study, or seek the help of a professional demographer (sic?) who can advise you.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM

LEGALSEA, thanks for the feedback and advice. Yes I have restaurant experience but more entrepreneurial experience. This is basically an informal poll of this site. I realize the expertise of the users and wanted to get gain informal and local results of the users. Which you relayed marvelously, thank you.

As far as the business idea, it has worked in several other tx markets and I also want to stay away from the dallas/east dallas area. Being from the area, I recognize the westside of the meteroplex is not demographically the same as the east. Even if you are intrigued by the "foodie" movement in dallas, you are less inclined to travel there on a regular basis. I also recognize the grow of the westside and trying out ideas.

Thanks again, noted.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
I am thinking of opening a family friendly restaurant in the west Fort Worth or Weatherford area. Any of the locals know of a specific place (neighborhoods) to zero in on? The restaurant will cater to families, specifically with kids say approx 2-12 year old. Its a place where families can meet, eat, socialize and enjoy their time without spending a ton and gives the adults the ability to enjoy their time as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dale
Do you want land to build or remodel a current building?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Prefer to remodel. Possibly older home zoned commercial, more of a neighborhood oriented establishment. Right now in the planning stages west seemed beneficial but also looking north FW into Keller, Grapevine, Southlake Coppell areas.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I'm in the NE part of Tarrant County, so I can't speak for the western side, however I can tell you what my family would be interested in.

My younger two are on the older side and a little past your 2-12 mark, being they are 10 and 15, however we still look for the same things.

If a place has a nice atmosphere, meaning normal noise of children but not running wild out of control kids and obnoxious adults, then that is the first plus.

If a place has friendly, humorous staff who enjoy their jobs that is the second positive mark.

If a place has a diverse menu allowing children and adults several choices without breaking the bank, that adds in a third advantage.

If a place has interesting environment with their architecture, decorations and furniture, then that almost wraps it up.

What will kill it in an instant is appearing to be family friendly and the reality is they are not. A place that serves full on alcohol or has killing games in the game room or shows nothing but news and sports on the monitors is far from a family friendly place.

What will also make it a not-likely-to-ever-return place is one that allows children to serve themselves without supervision or doesn't supply high chairs, cups with lids and plenty of napkins.

Great prices offered won't matter if the time is ruined by obnoxious people. Fun decorations and building won't keep us coming back in the staff is stiff and rude. Plentiful choices won't appeal if the food is sub-par.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Gruene Hall is a honky Tonk/bar. Not really a place I would take little kiddos. Keep in mind alcohol sales are a big part of profit in places like that, it just doesn't seem like a good mix with kids. Plus I think Fort Worth still allows smoking in places with over 70% of their business in alcohol sales. I always come out smelling like a chimney when I go to fort worth. Weatherford still allows smoking everywhere.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-10-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Grapevine still allows smoking, too. And the city council is VERY reluctant to approve new businesses that will get the majority of their revenue of alcohol sales. They just turned down an expansion of a VERY well-established business last month due to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth