Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 9,032 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband has been offered an amazing opportunity to come and work in Dallas Texas. We currently are living in the UK with our 2 beautiful adopted children. Unfortunately due to the children s early traumatic start in life, they have to deal with a lot of things we take for granted, My daughter particularly. She currently has a statement of educational needs and receives 22 hours 1:1 support a week in her current main stream school. She is diagnosed with Global Development Delay and Attachment disorder. She has come such a long way but will still need support in her new school.

I am completely over whelmed with everything that is happening and am absolutely terrified. I have spent Hours, days, weeks researching, i cant not sleep and just want the best for the children.

My husband will be initially based in fort worth but moving to Denton in 2016, so i have been looking between these two areas. I really am looking for an ISD that has a good special needs programme, that hopefully has experience with Attachment disorder. Research suggests Frisco, Plano, Allen are good ISD for special needs, although a bit far maybe. I have looked into NorthWest ISD, Denton and Aubery.

Please if you have any advice, information or could point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

I forgot to say that we will be renting initially, with a budget of upto $1700 month.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Frisco, Plano and Allen are more than "a bit far." That commute to either Fort Worth or to Denton would be just awful!

I wish I had info on a good ISD for special ed, but unfortunately, I don't.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM

367 posts, read 818,265 times
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Northwest ISD but I don't know about the specific issues you are needing to find out. Sorry.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM

440 posts, read 867,747 times
NWISD covers a huge area...I would also look at the the DEnton/Guyer area as I have heard it was a little better than Denton Proper....my Special needs child is older now but I would suggest you email the district directly to the special needs dept and ask questions...thats what I did before we moved....NWISD does a have a fairly good special needs program but I only used it for a short while...but others I know are happy with it. I would also suggest getting in contact with DARS and they can link you to groups that can help you out to. Also this might help United Through H.O.P.E.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 PM

27 posts, read 69,800 times
If you guys move to Fort Worth, you can try Crowley ISD, they have a wonderful special needs program, and I actually know a lot of the teachers that work there, personally and from when I went to school there. It's a small ISD that's just because it's in a rural area and in a big part of Fort Worth it's up to date with it's technology and teachings. They also have a lot of growing rental communities if you are looking to rent a house.

Also, allow me to welcome your family to the DFW area, I have tons of family in the UK and I hope this even just helps just a little bit!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM

295 posts, read 949,722 times
I think you will have to look at it in combination with where you want to live and how far a commute your husband is willing to have? we are within the boundaires of Keller ISD and had our autistic son assessed. The district was great, they provided a full evaluation and what his likely needs for early development would be. He started school back in November and we have been very pleased with the attention, teacher-to-student ratio and more importantly, the results since he started school. Of course results will vary depending on multiple factors but I wanted to express what great experience we've had with KISD.

That being said, I'm not sure if they would be willing to do an evaluation if you don't already live in Keller? as someone else already suggested, it's probably best if you give the district a call and get their input.

good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieparris View Post
Hi

My husband has been offered an amazing opportunity to come and work in Dallas Texas. We currently are living in the UK with our 2 beautiful adopted children. Unfortunately due to the children s early traumatic start in life, they have to deal with a lot of things we take for granted, My daughter particularly. She currently has a statement of educational needs and receives 22 hours 1:1 support a week in her current main stream school. She is diagnosed with Global Development Delay and Attachment disorder. She has come such a long way but will still need support in her new school.

I am completely over whelmed with everything that is happening and am absolutely terrified. I have spent Hours, days, weeks researching, i cant not sleep and just want the best for the children.

My husband will be initially based in fort worth but moving to Denton in 2016, so i have been looking between these two areas. I really am looking for an ISD that has a good special needs programme, that hopefully has experience with Attachment disorder. Research suggests Frisco, Plano, Allen are good ISD for special needs, although a bit far maybe. I have looked into NorthWest ISD, Denton and Aubery.

Please if you have any advice, information or could point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

I forgot to say that we will be renting initially, with a budget of upto $1700 month.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.
Look at The Hill school of fort worth for your daughter

Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 9,032 times
THaNkYoU for all your feed back, it really is a great help

Very flexible on location although it needs to between Fort Worth and Denton, my husbands office is in Forth Worth but will be relocating to Denton in the new couple of years. I really don't want to move Isd if possible. I have been looking a Keller, Roanoke, Haslet and Denton. My husband is willing to commute although research suggests the road between denton and Fort Worth is under reconstruction and can get very congested.

Do you think a bigger isd is a better option or smaller?

Thanks again for all your feed back so far!

Look forward to hearing from you x

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

440 posts, read 867,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieparris View Post
THaNkYoU for all your feed back, it really is a great help

Very flexible on location although it needs to between Fort Worth and Denton, my husbands office is in Forth Worth but will be relocating to Denton in the new couple of years. I really don't want to move Isd if possible. I have been looking a Keller, Roanoke, Haslet and Denton. My husband is willing to commute although research suggests the road between denton and Fort Worth is under reconstruction and can get very congested.

Do you think a bigger isd is a better option or smaller?

Thanks again for all your feed back so far!

Look forward to hearing from you x
Personally I think a bigger ISD with alot of smaller schools is a good choice....we are in a large ISD but in our town we have two elementary schools and another one in the next town less than two miles around-so while we are big we feel this is our town schools as we have the middle school and high school in our town also. The best thing you can do in initially rent or ask for corporate housing in your preferred district and then go to each of the schools and have a look.....when were moving and considering different ISD's we took a visit here and had actually set up appointments at the schools our kids could eventually go to-we visited all of them to get a feel for the school and the staff...we also contacted the special ed depts of these districts and gave them an overview of my childs diagnosis and current services and asked what services they offer (no guarantees you get the same services) but at least it gives you an idea-once we decided on an area we sent all our childs paperwork to the school district so that when she started in the fall everything was set up for her to start on the first day of school

Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,551 times
Default Very similar situation

Hi there, I just read your post and to start with thought my husband had posted it! Similarly, he has been offered a 2-3yr contract in Fort Worth with a package we cant really refuse and we also have 2 adopted children who are 5&6. They were only placed with us 18 months ago and so far so good, no severe attachment issues and doing ok at school but I am petrified of what the move may do to them and am aware we are moving away from our entire support network etc! It would be good to find out how your research is going. Husband is off out there next week to negotiate package and get an idea of areas to rent in and we are planning to tell the kids once the contract is signed and then take them out for a look around over Easter Hols before moving them at the end of summer term. At the mo I am struck with fear every time I think about telling them despite the fact I can see what a great opportunity it could be for all of us! At present we are facing issues with school in UK engaging at all with their emotional needs (all they see is that they are doing ok academically...gggrrrr) so my main stress is finding a school that understand early life trauma! Be good to share notes! Good luck and hope you are managing to sleep xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth