Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJT View Post
I agree 100% with this. Traffic (from what I have seen) sure seems heavy. It is worse on the weekend, when nobody is working and everybody is in-town. New projects near Cabela's and other stuff not yet open will only increase traffic. I think Keller rose to prominence back when they were making those "Best Places to Live" lists and everybody jumped on the Keller bandwagon. Those lists were circa ??? 2002 I want to say.

Keller is SAFE, CLEAN, and NICE. But if you drive to the store or the kids want to "go to the Zoo" on Saturday, you will have some traffic to contend with.

Back in 2000, 2003, the Alliance corridor thru Fossil Creek (Salt Grass Fossil Creek one of the first restaurants back then) area was had nowhere the development that it does now.

Just FYI
Yes, Keller has much to recommend it, but it's going through a sprawl phase and the road infrastructure has a lot of catching up to do. Work has recently started on I-35W leading to Ft. Worth, and 377 (the North-South main street) always seems to have a lot of traffic, as does 1709 (main East-West drag).

I'll admit to being not terribly impressed with Keller ISD overall. Keller HS has good metrics but serves a relatively affluent demographic so if anything one would expect even better results, and the other 2 high schools have mediocre numbers. In addition to that, a family friend has had bad experiences with one of the elementaries. But like any one-off anecdotes and limited data, take that with a grain of salt. Another friend has had his kids in Keller HS and elementary/middle school feeders to it previously has spoken well of them, as a counterpoint.

And last, with lots of new construction resale within the next several years may be tricky, as a ten year old (for example) home may be a harder sell when entire subdivisions of brand new homes are going up just a few blocks away. Obviously if you intend to stay there for a long time that's not as big an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJT View Post
I agree 100% with this. Traffic (from what I have seen) sure seems heavy. It is worse on the weekend, when nobody is working and everybody is in-town. New projects near Cabela's and other stuff not yet open will only increase traffic. I think Keller rose to prominence back when they were making those "Best Places to Live" lists and everybody jumped on the Keller bandwagon. Those lists were circa ??? 2002 I want to say.

Keller is SAFE, CLEAN, and NICE. But if you drive to the store or the kids want to "go to the Zoo" on Saturday, you will have some traffic to contend with.

Back in 2000, 2003, the Alliance corridor thru Fossil Creek (Salt Grass Fossil Creek one of the first restaurants back then) area was had nowhere the development that it does now.

Just FYI
This is really only true for the new section of Keller. The area zoned to Keller High doesn't really have much construction going on and is more similar to what you'd experience living in Southlake than what is being described

Old 05-07-2014, 02:29 PM

91 posts, read 162,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Yes, Keller has much to recommend it, but it's going through a sprawl phase and the road infrastructure has a lot of catching up to do. Work has recently started on I-35W leading to Ft. Worth, and 377 (the North-South main street) always seems to have a lot of traffic, as does 1709 (main East-West drag).

I'll admit to being not terribly impressed with Keller ISD overall. Keller HS has good metrics but serves a relatively affluent demographic so if anything one would expect even better results, and the other 2 high schools have mediocre numbers. In addition to that, a family friend has had bad experiences with one of the elementaries. But like any one-off anecdotes and limited data, take that with a grain of salt. Another friend has had his kids in Keller HS and elementary/middle school feeders to it previously has spoken well of them, as a counterpoint.

And last, with lots of new construction resale within the next several years may be tricky, as a ten year old (for example) home may be a harder sell when entire subdivisions of brand new homes are going up just a few blocks away. Obviously if you intend to stay there for a long time that's not as big an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
This is really only true for the new section of Keller. The area zoned to Keller High doesn't really have much construction going on and is more similar to what you'd experience living in Southlake than what is being described
Great points. I am looking at Coppell area #1 choice, Grapevine #2 choice, (work in Alliance area) due to job transfer in 2015. Keller and Trophy Club are out (Southlake, while we "can" afford it, I would rather go Coppell and afford Coppell more). Those towns are out not because they are "bad", they are not bad, my concern is everything ELSE going on around the towns. It seems very unpredictable. The area north of Trophy Club really ballooned with multiple big box stores and hotels going up. You have Cabelas and now the new shopping mall/outdoor shop project behind Cabelas.

Due to young kids (age 8, 10), I need fairly decent access to (either city) Ft Worth or Dallas zoo, museums, etc stuff. Wife will not work, she is a stay at home mom and doing a great job of raising our kids. Added benefit, while not "planned that way", is Baylor Grapevine is close to Grapevine/Coppell if we live there. Not that anybody wants to go to the hospital, but when you have great ISD's across the spectrum (all generally about the same), and if all the housing is generally the same floorplan/architecture, then other factors make or break your decision.

Thats why we are leaning Coppell/Grapevine now.

Somehow I got the thread off track, maybe folks can gleam Keller info from this post. Take care

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM

367 posts, read 818,017 times
Keller is a normal suburban town. A little insular (Southlake is more so) but it's got a lot going on, excellent schools, very affordable, and a fun little main street. I like it (but I live on its border in North Richland Hills and spend a lot of time in Keller proper).

If you are planning to open a business, Keller isn't a bad choice BUT understand there is a lot of competition in the Insurance business. You can learn more at Keller Business Connections and Keller Chamber of Commerce Keller, Texas | Chamber of Commerce Keller, Texas.

If it sounds like there's two Chambers in town - essentially, that is the case. Small-town personalities and conflicts.

If you want a little less drama, you can live in Keller and look at surrounding communities for the business - Southlake and Grapevine to the east, North Richland Hills and parts of Watauga to the south, of course, far North Fort Worth to the west (up in the Alliance area, which is the fastest growing part of the area) and Roanoke/Trophy Club to the north.

Be aware those rail road tracks along 377/Denton Highway are ACTIVE and you can get stuck for a long time at various parts of the day.

Having lived in DC myself, I think traffic in NW Tarrant County is similar, so I think you'll be fine, as long as you aren't trying to drive to downtown Fort Worth or, lord help you, over to Dallas, which might as well be 100 miles away.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 AM

19 posts, read 26,997 times
We recently moved to Keller proper (east of 377) and the comments here regarding Keller absolutely do not apply. We could not be more happy with our choice. Have you visited Your other choices in person as well as Keller proper? There really is no comparison. There is a misconception that Keller extends into the Alliance area. It really does not. That is Fort Worth. That area is serviced by Keller ISD, but that's totally different. Stay east of 377 and north of North Tarrant Parkway and you will discover Keller Proper. Look at the homes in the Shady Grove Elementary, Hidden Lakes Elementary feeder pattern before excluding Keller from your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth