Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 PM

254 posts, read 401,594 times

Advertisements

Couldn't resist bringing this one up today...

So after Fort Worth City Councilman, Joel Burns, got frustrated with The Weather Channel ignoring repeated requests by him and others to stop showing pictures of Dallas for Fort Worth (again... the 16th largest city in America, not some suburban bedroom community) on The Weather Channel App, something that would probably take all of 2 min. to fix, he posted a tweet venting his frustration. Whoever manages The Weather Channel's social media (and who probably doesn't anymore...) got a little too snarky and it backfired.

See article summarizing the whole exchange and what followed:

Twitter storm erupts between Fort Worth councilman, Weather Channel | Fort Worth | News ...

All day since, Twitter and Tumblr have been full of people posting photos of the city tagged #THISisFortWorth.

All in all a pretty humorous (and fairly minor) exchange, but one that gives a pretty good taste of how Fort Worth gets really frustrated with being lumped in as just a part of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
This is interesting. lol

Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
What a little cry baby, they do that with Oakland all the time. I just plugged Oakland into the Weather Channel app and as expected a pic of SF pops up. Ft Worth is in Dallas' shadow, big deal, get over it.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times

Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Sorry Fort Worth . Seriously, Fort Worth wouldn't be what it is without Dallas. 16th largest city, phh. Certainly helps when a city's limits are 350 square miles .

Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What a little cry baby, they do that with Oakland all the time. I just plugged Oakland into the Weather Channel app and as expected a pic of SF pops up. Ft Worth is in Dallas' shadow, big deal, get over it.
I will blow my brains out before I EVER accept or let people who don't even live here tell me that MY city should just "get over it" and be in Dallas' shadow.

Sorry, but our city has way too much pride for that. Guess we can't say the same for Oakland...

Quote:
Seriously, Fort Worth wouldn't be what it is without Dallas.
More ignorance...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
If the app ONLY had Dallas as a choice, then fine only use pics from there.....however if the app offers Fort Worth as an individual location, and it sounds like it does, then Fort Worth should have appropriate pictures. Otherwise, lump it into DFW as a general area.

Same goes for any other area that has this happen.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
I agree with you JJG. Sav & Speagles, you two should have more pride in your own city, Oakland!

I would have been just as frustrated with TWC. Honestly, TWC's app update is HORRIBLE! Way too slow. Also, this is a given on this thread, not enough city backgrounds of the appropriate cities. Point made with Dallas pics in Fort Worth.

In this day and age, TWC should have pictures of every town from 5,000 people on up.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I agree with you JJG. Sav & Speagles, you two should have more pride in your own city, Oakland!
Actually, one's from Pittsburgh, but the point stands.

Saying that Fort Worth is "part of Dallas" or "in Dallas" has been the biggest insult you could give our city.
The SECOND biggest insult would be to say that Fort Worth wouldn't be what it is today with out Dallas, which is total bullsh*t.

What irks me the most is hearing people who more than likely never even BEEN to Fort Worth tell US these things about Fort Worth. That we should just accept what other people say about it. It's like a slap in the face.

#THISisFortWorth

Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 AM

194 posts, read 306,445 times
A fun little Tumblr blog popped up out of this:

This Is Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth