Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 2,227,209 times

Advertisements

Does her immigration status allow her to work? That would be the main issue. Don't rely on an employer to sponsor her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:24 AM

422 posts, read 544,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There's no hospital in Midlothian, so as long as your wife is willing to drive to Mansfield, Burleson or another city, she won't have a problem finding a job as a nurse.

There's a nice hospital in Waxahachie which is not 10 mins down the road, Mansfield not being much further. There's wide open spaces out down here, not like driving in a clusterf%#* that is the northern burbs. So driving to another town is not a big deal down here. I would venture out to say the majority of people actually commute north for work anyways.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:52 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,383,909 times
My impressions of Midlothian: Just for transparency my adult daughter and her family live there. I have an investment rental house there, too.

*More born in Texans living there than in northern burbs -- by that I mean more local, good ole boy & gal types

*Very family focused, very focused on High School sports

*Not much diversity -- tends to be a high majority white burb

*Cute, once in town. However along the highway excits are the cement factories and inland seaport (distribution center for autos) create an impression of being a factory town.

*Nice housing, lots of pretty neighborhoods and pricing is reasonable for the DFW area

*No public transportation so you must have a vehicle; however there is plenty of good shopping in Cedar Hill, Mansfield and other nearby towns -- within 15 minutes drive is everything you would need.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:06 AM

11,872 posts, read 26,939,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moens View Post
ChristieP do you have any idea if she could be able to maintain the same job she has now she's a Labor and delivery nurse and she has her bachelor's degree.
RN BSN in L&D is always in demand.
Has she started the process to get her Texas license yet?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 26,404 times
Quote:
RN BSN in L&D is always in demand.
Has she started the process to get her Texas license yet?
No not yet, we don't really know where to start.
someone said don't expect an employer to sponsor, well that is kind of what we are hoping for to get there. Paying for a green card is not possible i think unless you're a millionair.

I'm in the green card lottery for 2017 and i'm job hunting like a madman with the hope of getting a sponsorship i'm even willing to pay the sponsorship back in full when we get there and are working.

If one of us gets a green card, our entire family will get it and we both will be possible to work so it's just 1 of us that needs to find a sponsorship, which i'm willing to pay back in full.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moens View Post
No not yet, we don't really know where to start.
someone said don't expect an employer to sponsor, well that is kind of what we are hoping for to get there. Paying for a green card is not possible i think unless you're a millionair.

I'm in the green card lottery for 2017 and i'm job hunting like a madman with the hope of getting a sponsorship i'm even willing to pay the sponsorship back in full when we get there and are working.

If one of us gets a green card, our entire family will get it and we both will be possible to work so it's just 1 of us that needs to find a sponsorship, which i'm willing to pay back in full.
Sorry, but finding an hospital system to sponsor a visa for a RN is very, very unlikely. Even with the nursing shortage, employers still aren't willing to spend the $3500-5000, and put up with the red tape it takes to sponsor someone. You're going to have to hope you win the green card lottery.

Http://Bon.texas.gov will have all of the info she needs to get her licensure started. It's a fairly lengthy process, so expect it to take several months.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:07 AM

29 posts, read 26,404 times
Quote:
Sorry, but finding an hospital system to sponsor a visa for a RN is very, very unlikely. Even with the nursing shortage, employers still aren't willing to spend the $3500-5000, and put up with the red tape it takes to sponsor someone. You're going to have to hope you win the green card lottery.

Http://Bon.texas.gov will have all of the info she needs to get her licensure started. It's a fairly lengthy process, so expect it to take several months.
Is it only $3500-5000 wauw that would make it a lot easier then, we were told it would cost around $25K for a sponsorship and we were already willing to pay it back in full so paying 5K back or 25K back is a big difference.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 AM

It's illegal for an employer to allow you to pay it back. That would be considered a bribe.
There are a lot of legal requirements to sponsor a foreign employee. That's why most employers won't do it. It's not just about the money.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:56 AM

24,717 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Work your way through uscis.gov. You cannot repay the costs an employer occurs by sponsorship. So scratch that. Then read what is involved for an employer. Down the ladder will not bring a visa nor pay enough to make a living nor allow your wife to work. The easiest way is still internal transfer.

Google is your friend. Texas Board of Nursing has all details on how foreign nurses with appropriate status can gain Texas licensure on the site.

Diversity Lottery 2017 means 2018/2019 depending on your case number if yiu are winners.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 AM

But finding a hospital company that operates globally to make an internal transfer possible... I know of two that operate in the UK and USA, and one of them is behavioral health, so no L&D. But that would require an additional stop in the UK for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth