Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times

Advertisements

So where do NFL/MLB sports allegiances fall in and around Frederick. I'm guessing most of the county below I-70 belongs to Redskins diehards. I would assume much of the rural east (around rte. 26) and north (around Emmitsbug) belong to the Ravens, while the western third of the county is evenly split between the Ravens, Steelers, and Redskins. Frederick City would probably have an even split among all three teams as well. Would this be a pretty accurate assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
I don't think it can be laid out geographically. It is all intermixed

Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
(Disclaimer: Redskins and O's fan here. I grew up in VA but the Nats didn't show up until I was 28, so I was an O's fan by default. However, the cult like behavior exhibited by most Steeler fans makes it all too easy to mock them and their team.)

For baseball:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

tl;dr: Frederick's an O's town.

We're in Maryland, and we have a O's farm team. Now we're not as rabid as Carroll county but we're still the fave of about 35-45% people -- it does trend higher the further north/east you go, probably reflective of those areas' having fewer population transfers than Frederick and points south.

In Frederick, Walkersville, Point of Rocks, Middletown, Brunswick, Ballenger (fill in the blank), Urbana, and Mt. Airy, the Nats are 2nd or 3rd. Nattitude doesn't even kick in until you hit Rockville.

But in Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Wolfsville, Woodsboro, the Nats aren't even top 3. They're a non-entity west of Hagerstown too.

On the flip side, go to the other side of the river, and it's all Nats, the O's aren't even a factor. But, they remain on top in the northern Shenandoah Valley and in the Eastern Panhandle of WVA.

O's support also goes all the way out to Cumberland, and even up along the Chambersburg-Waynesboro-Gettysburg-York corridor in PA. The Nats fizzle out around Fredericksburg and Culpeper on the VA side.

I'd get greetings wearing my hat during my time in Leesburg, like I was admitting I was part of some society most folks were afraid to admit membership of.

As for the NFL,

https://interactive.twitter.com/nfl_...=team&team=all

https://fbnewsroomus.files.wordpress...nfl_fandom.jpg

Neither breaks down by zip code.

The maps disagree: Facebook has us being a Redskins kind of place, Twitter has us being a Ravens kind of place. Twitter trends younger, so I suspect that younger folks may trend Ravens due to Dan Snyder putting on a horrible product on the field -- Bisciotti is forgiven his players' problems due to 2 Super Bowl rings.

tl;dr: Frederick's about 50/50 Skins and Ravens, with the Steelers a distant third.

FB has the black and yellow showing up west of Cumberland whereas Twitter has that plague of Wiz Khalifa listeners infesting Cumberland and being a severe threat to Hagerstown.

I suspect as with MLB, the city and areas W/S/E of the city are more Skins-oriented than Ravens-oriented; the Skins might even be third behind the Steelers or Cowboys in Thurmont/Emmitsburg.

And remember ...

http://terezowens-com-uploads.s3.ama....jpg-large.jpg

Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,272 times
from personal observation. Id say slightly more Ravens fans than Redskins in Frederick. Steelers would be distant 3rd.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM

169 posts, read 284,084 times
Ravens.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 AM

490 posts, read 924,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
(disclaimer: Redskins and o's fan here. I grew up in va but the nats didn't show up until i was 28, so i was an o's fan by default. However, the cult like behavior exhibited by most steeler fans makes it all too easy to mock them and their team.)

for baseball:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

tl;dr: Frederick's an o's town.

We're in maryland, and we have a o's farm team. Now we're not as rabid as carroll county but we're still the fave of about 35-45% people -- it does trend higher the further north/east you go, probably reflective of those areas' having fewer population transfers than frederick and points south.

In frederick, walkersville, point of rocks, middletown, brunswick, ballenger (fill in the blank), urbana, and mt. Airy, the nats are 2nd or 3rd. nattitude doesn't even kick in until you hit rockville.

but in thurmont, emmitsburg, wolfsville, woodsboro, the nats aren't even top 3. They're a non-entity west of hagerstown too.

On the flip side, go to the other side of the river, and it's all nats, the o's aren't even a factor. But, they remain on top in the northern shenandoah valley and in the eastern panhandle of wva.

O's support also goes all the way out to cumberland, and even up along the chambersburg-waynesboro-gettysburg-york corridor in pa. The nats fizzle out around fredericksburg and culpeper on the va side.

I'd get greetings wearing my hat during my time in leesburg, like i was admitting i was part of some society most folks were afraid to admit membership of.

As for the nfl,

https://interactive.twitter.com/nfl_...=team&team=all

https://fbnewsroomus.files.wordpress...nfl_fandom.jpg

neither breaks down by zip code.

The maps disagree: Facebook has us being a redskins kind of place, twitter has us being a ravens kind of place. Twitter trends younger, so i suspect that younger folks may trend ravens due to dan snyder putting on a horrible product on the field -- bisciotti is forgiven his players' problems due to 2 super bowl rings.

Tl;dr: Frederick's about 50/50 skins and ravens, with the steelers a distant third.

Fb has the black and yellow showing up west of cumberland whereas twitter has that plague of wiz khalifa listeners infesting cumberland and being a severe threat to hagerstown.

I suspect as with mlb, the city and areas w/s/e of the city are more skins-oriented than ravens-oriented; the skins might even be third behind the steelers or cowboys in thurmont/emmitsburg.

And remember ...

http://terezowens-com-uploads.s3.ama....jpg-large.jpg
100% wrong.....montgomery county and pg county is nats county, thats all you see is "w" hats and "redskins" jersey

Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
100% wrong.....montgomery county and pg county is nats county, thats all you see is "w" hats and "redskins" jersey
Not really, I see just as much Orioles as Nats in MoCo. Probably More O's gear in the northern part of the county. I don't think the Nats really dominate unless you are inside the Beltway.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 AM

490 posts, read 924,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Not really, I see just as much Orioles as Nats in MoCo. Probably More O's gear in the northern part of the county. I don't think the Nats really dominate unless you are inside the Beltway.

Have you been to the Rio Washingtonian in gaithersburg, md there nothing but Washington National gear in Dick's Sporting good and a small corner of O's wear.....Yes I have seen a few O's hats here and there but overall my good friend 90% of MoCo is Washington National territory. If you don't want to believe that, well that's on you. The next time your in Moco walk up to 5 random people and ask them who do they root for and the answer will be the Nats

Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Frederick County natives tend to be O's fans. All of the DC transplants who commute with the MARC have a better tendency to be Nats fans. Pirates are a DEEP third. When I visited Hagerstown last Balack Friday, I only noticed one Steelers piece of merchandise- and that was right next to a Ravens and Redskins jersey. Steelers (and Pirates/Penguins) territory IMO begins to transition around Hancock (a real mish-mash of teams here, though being sparsely populated isn't too surprising), becomes 50/50 around Cumberland, becomes majority at Frostburg, and is the primary team in Garrett County. With the Redskins over the past decade being one of NFL's biggest travesties, they're territory has definitely been dwindling throughout MD, with even PG county itself having a good number of Ravens (and Steelers/Cowboys/whatever team you grew up with from) fans. All those other perceived "Steelers" fans are transplanted fairweather bandwagon fans in the same vein as Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Cowboys fans.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Frederick County natives tend to be O's fans. All of the DC transplants who commute with the MARC have a better tendency to be Nats fans. Pirates are a DEEP third. When I visited Hagerstown last Balack Friday, I only noticed one Steelers piece of merchandise- and that was right next to a Ravens and Redskins jersey. Steelers (and Pirates/Penguins) territory IMO begins to transition around Hancock (a real mish-mash of teams here, though being sparsely populated isn't too surprising), becomes 50/50 around Cumberland, becomes majority at Frostburg, and is the primary team in Garrett County. With the Redskins over the past decade being one of NFL's biggest travesties, they're territory has definitely been dwindling throughout MD, with even PG county itself having a good number of Ravens (and Steelers/Cowboys/whatever team you grew up with from) fans. All those other perceived "Steelers" fans are transplanted fairweather bandwagon fans in the same vein as Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Cowboys fans.
It is important to keep in mind that the Steelers were the "local team" for WHAG when NBC had the Sunday AFC teams. This station extended the Steelers' reach down into Frederick County, and folks there got the Steelers' games every week for about 15 years. My guess is most of the Steelers fans down that way fit in that group, having found their team between roughy 1980-1997 in between the times when Baltimore had a team.

In other news, our local cable company in Cumberland is dropping our "Steelers station" out of PA. People are irate, switching to DISH, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick