Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 39,794 times

Advertisements

I heard of a little gang activity back in the 90's (mainly around 40 and John Hanson) but do you guys think gangs are a problem here and WHERE THE HECK IS PHEBUS AVENUE AT IN FREDERICK??
I just see gang signs and I notice they match colors sometimes

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-30-2009 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: please do not post pictures that aren't yours.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
There's no such thing as real gangstas in Frederick. They're wana-bes, who have harmless groups of people who look dumb and steal gum from 7-11

Phebus avenue is off of Bentz street. If youre on 2nd street, take a right at baker park, keep going down, pass patrick street and its one street away

Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
You do see some gang graffiti in the areas you mentioned and there are some folks that fit the look, but I agree with Billiam that most are just copying what they see in rap videos. It is to this generation what the ratty bowl-cut and flannel shirt was to mine.

There were a couple of murders in town in the last few years that fit the bill of drug related slayings, but based on the numbers two or three murders like that out of population of 60,000 in the city limits is pretty good.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
I agree with Billiam & Westsideboy's comments. If there is real gang activity, I haven't seen it. The police in this small city are pretty quick to crack down...some may even say they're overzealous at times, so the opportunities for gang activity are better elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 162,400 times
Default ???? Not Sure

??????????
Guys come on If you have Gangs in Cockeysville Maryland you can have gangs in Frederick,Md...
http://www.knowgangs.com/news/jan06/1608.html

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-31-2009 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: do not post copy right material. provide a link

Old 01-31-2009, 02:13 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Alright, time for the truth to come out. I was in a gang. We called ourselves the Laser Snakes. Our stated goal was universal domination based on a fleet of space fighters that we would transport from start system to star system on large freighters. We were constantly at war with other gangs, the Army (a right wing milto-facist organization) and the Dogs ( an all female gang that targeted males.) I did my time in the principal's office for my crimes and have seen the light.

My college was also full of gangs. They wore matching sweatshirts with strange foreign scripts. They were rumored to have bizarre induction rituals and controlled the alcohol trade on campus with an iron fist.

Removing the tongue from my cheek for a moment, we need to put this in perspective. If you want to call any group of young people dressing the same and occasionally beating on each other with sticks a gang, then we need to form a new word for the organized, violent, multi-million dollar organizations that rule and destroy neighborhoods and communities in this country.

I once had a police officer ask my friend where in Cumberland he lived. My friend replied "downtown." "Ohhh... your in Crip territory then," the officer retorted. WTF!! Regardless of what people think, the world is not going to hell in a hand basket. Communities like Cockeysville, Frederick, Cumberland, are not being overrun by gangbangers. Your bigger risk in Frederick is getting run over by some yuppie on a cell phone in an SUV!

I am not denying that communities have problems, and that young people are more suseptible to the culture of thuggery, bling, and dope, but the article itself states very clearly - "Fortunately, we haven't seen any of the (gang-related) violence here É and we're aiming to keep it that way."

All we do by yelling that the sky is falling is scaring people from anything that resembles a city with people of different races, income levels, and personal styles and into gated communities with closed minds, locked doors, and isolated views on the rest of society.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Your bigger risk in Frederick is getting run over by some yuppie on a cell phone in an SUV!
Too funny - LOL! [actually it almost happened to me...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
All we do by yelling that the sky is falling is scaring people from anything that resembles a city with people of different races, income levels, and personal styles and into gated communities with closed minds, locked doors, and isolated views on the rest of society.
Great point WSB.

We moved back to Frederick after 2½ yrs. in Albuquerque, and I often saw the same kind of posts about gang problems there. I think there was one youtube video about it, and people thought the whole city of 800,000 had fallen to gang rule.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM

67 posts, read 236,233 times
Any time you talk about crime and gang-related things, you have to take the larger picture into context.

Yes, there gang activity here, yes there's some crime.

But overall, for a town of this size, in a junction of major, heavily-travelled highways like this, the problem is very small. I've been in small towns in the midwest with far worse problems.

Six muggings in a weekend is a crime wave in Frederick ...

Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,165 times
When we lived in Frederick, my hubby and I took the citizen's police academy course offered by the city police department (about 3 months, once a week, EXCELLENT - recommend it to anyone living in Frederick and it's free (well your tax dollars pay for it, but you know . . .)

The city and county sherrif's office are very, very VERY dedicated to not allowing Frederick to become some sort of haven for criminals, gangs, and drug traffikers (however you spell it). Frederick is centrally located in the state, right of a major interstate (Rt 70) and near I-81. They definitely work very hard to keep the drug trade to Baltimore out of Frederick.

Sure there are drugs and yes, there are probably gang members - as you will find ANYWHERE - but you do NOT have the prevalance of either that you have in. . . . . . say, neighboring Montgomery County (especially gang presence).

Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 AM

68 posts, read 147,122 times
Gang activity? Try NW Silver Spring (esp. Wheaton) and Langley Park.

Living in those places exempted a friend of mine from jury service for the trial of an MS-13 gang member. Mostly because of perceived bias, but also partly because of fear of reprisals. I have neighbors that really seem to like thug culture. And what’s startling is when these people are in their thirties, for crying out loud.

There is a difference between an unaffiliated thug and a gang member.

Just like there’s a difference between a crackpot and a Libertarian.
Haha, just kidding, Libertarians are alright.

Just a little Maryland politics humor there, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick